IGNORED

Judging approach distances accurately

hampshire2012
Note:Β This thread is 4209 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Can anyone help me with an iPhone app (or something else) that will help me do this? Essentially I'm confident that my lengths are consistent (from the range), but I'm starting to suspect that my judgement is just terrible, as it is not uncommon for me to miss by 30 yards short/long despite (what feels like at least) a good strike. I play lots of different courses so not much room for just learning what works where! I guess all I want is a 'ruler' extension on google maps, or an app that does the same thing. Any help much appreciated.

You could get a GPS app. I'd say get a laser range finder I love my Bushnell.

Β 913 D2 8.5* with V2 66g stiff shaft

Β 910F 14.25 with Diamana stiff shaft

Β i20 17, 20, and 23 hybridΒ 

Β AP2 712 5-PW with Dynamic Gold S300 shaft

Β 54 and 60

Β D66

Β Tournament Edition 1600

Β 

Β 

Originally Posted by hampshire2012

Any advice on which apps? Would be willing to spend a small amount of money but most rangefinders ive looked at are well out of budget!

I have Sky Droid on my android phone. Works fairly well. Cost 2 bucks. Gives distances to green F,C,B. Does not give distances to bunkers and such though

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Do any of the courses you play at have markers at 100, 150, 200, 250 etc? Do they have distances on the sprinklers? If so, I've gotten into the habit of looking for those near my ball, then pacing it off to my ball, or an equivalent distance. This will give you a free way to get a quick and dirty distance measurement, but I've had sprinklers be off by 20 yards or more once you get past 250 yards.

Β 

Β 

My bag:

Driver: G10 10.5* w/ Pro Launch Red RegΒ 

3 Wood: G10 w/ Pro Launch Red RegΒ 

18* and 21* hybrids: G10 with Pro Launch Red StiffΒ 

4-PW: Ping Eye 2 Irons w/ Reg GS 95Β 

56* and 60*: Tour-S Rustique Wedges w/ Stiff KBS TourΒ 

Putter: Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum NewportΒ 

Β 

Β 

Β 

A lot of people like Golflogix.

Whats in my :sunmountain:Β C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno:Β JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno:Β JPX 850Β 15*, :mizuno:Β JPX-850 19*, :mizuno:Β JPX Fli-Hi #4,Β :mizuno:Β JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno:Β MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland:Β Smart Square BladeΒ and :bridgestone:Β B330-S

If you are going to go the phone GPS route, I'd suggest Swing by Swing... it's free and works great for a phone.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment:Β 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5Β°) Β· PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15Β° and 21Β°)Β Β· PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22Β°, 25Β°, and 28Β°) Β· PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) Β·Β Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50Β°, 55Β°, 60Β°) Β·Β Edel Classic BladeΒ Putter (32") Β· Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour Β· Pinned Prism RangefinderΒ Β· Star Grips Β· Flightscope Mevo Β· TRUE Linkswear Shoes Β·Β Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
AnalyzrΒ Pro

Originally Posted by chilepepper

I have Sky Droid on my android phone. Works fairly well. Cost 2 bucks. Gives distances to green F,C,B. Does not give distances to bunkers and such though

SkyDroid does give distances to bunkers/hazards. Use the up/down arrow on the FCB screen.

In The Bag: - Patience - Persistence - Perseverance - Platitudes

I've used most of them and prefer GolfShot by far. It's clean and well done. While the Android app lacks in some of the features the iPhone version has, it's still better than the rest for Android. It's a little pricey at $30, but well worth it and the best $30 I've spent on golf in awhile.

Driver: TaylorMade SuperFast 2.0 -- 10.5* Woods: TaylorMade SuperFast 2.0 -- 3w 15*, 5w 18* Hybrid: TaylorMade Burner SuperFast 2.0 Rescue -- 4h 21* Irons: TaylorMade Burner Plus -- 5-AW Wedges: TaylorMade RAC -- 56.12, 60.07 Putter: TaylorMade Spider Ghost -- 35" Ball: It's complicated.

Originally Posted by Audaxi

Do any of the courses you play at have markers at 100, 150, 200, 250 etc? Do they have distances on the sprinklers? If so, I've gotten into the habit of looking for those near my ball, then pacing it off to my ball, or an equivalent distance. This will give you a free way to get a quick and dirty distance measurement, but I've had sprinklers be off by 20 yards or more once you get past 250 yards.

Within 200 yards distances between markers can be very accurately paced to within a couple yards error per 50 yards with experience. Not as accurate as a rangefinder, or some GPS devices / apps, but IF the OP is pacing then misses by 30 yards, it's not likely the distance estimation that's causing the problem.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

GolfLogix is free and works great. Does more than gps.

+1 for Golflogix, the free version only gives yardage to center of green, but for $20 per year you get yardage front, middle & back and also yardages to bunkers, harzards, doglegs, etc.

Originally Posted by colin007

Swing by Swing is better than GolfLogix

I can't say it is better, not having used Golflogix, but I like Swing by Swing a LOT!!Β  And it is free!Β  And you don't pay for course downloads.Β  And you can customize the course data relatively easily by labeling and marking spots so you can get the distance to them next time.Β  For example, on one hole there is a ditch running across the fairway.Β  I went to the ditch, labelled it on the phone and clicked a button to register its position and then saved.Β  Then next time, the the distance to carry the ditch came up on the screen so I could decided whether to lay up or not.

And unlike what I hear people complain about with other apps, I never had a problem with battery usage.Β  If my phone was fully charged at the beginning of a round it generally ended the (18 hole) round at 70% or higher.Β  That is with a Droid X2.Β  Plus the guy from Swing by Swing hangs out here occasionally and is responsive to questions and suggestions.

They have a "Looper" add-on for a fee that allows you to record your round shot by shot, entering the club you used.Β  Then you can go back and review your round, seeing where each shot went on a map of the course, kind of like looking at the Shot Tracker stuff on pgatour.om.Β  I got that add-on but after a few times decided it was distracting me a little too much so I requested a refund and got it instantly, no questions asked.Β  And they even let me keep the add-on until the next update.

Best $0.00 I ever spent.Β  LOL

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Note:Β This thread is 4209 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!