IGNORED

What is Your Favorite Ryder Cup?

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4218 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

We have a diverse international site here so I'm sure we're going to get some different answers

For myself I really only have two choices, '99 and '08, so I'm going with '08.  It was great to see the Americans end the streak of three successive victories for Team Europe , and USA won without Tiger.  I think Azinger had a good strategy with his pods system and surprised no one else has copied it.  A lot of great matches that were close with some clutch shots and putts made by Team USA.

The last meeting between the two teams was exciting as well, coming down to the last match where Graeme McDowell beat Hunter Mahan.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The only Ryder Cup that I have actually watched and followed is 2010 at Celtic Manor. I just remember the final day was pushed to Monday so me and all my roommates skipped our morning classes (college) to watch the finish. We have been watching since like 4 am so there was no way we were going to miss the end. No too happy about the result but that's the one that sticks out to me. Wish I could have seen '99 at Brookline, though.

In my  Recoil bag:

Nike SQ Machspeed Black STR8-FIT Driver 

Cobra Baffler Rail 3 Wood 

Cobra Baffler Rail 3 Hybrid

Cobra Baffler Rail 4 Hybrid

Nike SQ Machspeed Irons 5-AW

Cleveland 588 - 54 Degree

Cleveland 588 - 58 Degree

TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spider Putter

NXT Tour

I was at the 1983 Ryder Cup every day and witnessed the mythical 3-wood Seve hit from the bunker on the 18th hole in his match against Fuzzy. Apparently there's no video of this shot -

6) Singles match against Fuzzy Zoeller in the 1983 Ryder Cup at PGA National in Florida

The situation: Having been three up with five to play Ballesteros now stands on the 18th tee all square. Seve smothers his drive into deep rough from where he can only hack the ball into a bunker. His stance and lie suggest a sand wedge sideways is his only option but the situation demands something slightly more adventurous. Seve pulls his three-wood.

The shot: 245 yards from the hole cut on a green surrounded to the right and back by water, Seve's position is beginning to look desperate. The shot he attempts has an off-the-chart difficulty rating and will, in all probability, put him in more trouble. Seve now looks odds-on to lose a match he really should have won. Seve picks the ball cleanly off the surface and glares as it curves 50 yards from left to right before landing just off the putting surface. "He swung, he hit, he gave the ball that incredible Seve stare and it flew miles and miles, right to the fringe of the green," said the Guardian golf correspondent, Dai Davies. "It was an impossible shot and it was greeted first with a stunned silence, and then by incredulous laughter that greets something that is outwith the experience of the watcher. It was, in the literal sense of the word, fantastic." Moments later Seve chips and putts for par and halves the hole and the match.

I also got the to talk to Captain Jack Nicklaus when we clinched the cup & got to high-five Lanny Wadkins when he hit the winning shot.

So that's mine - 1983, Palm Beach Gardens, Fl.

Kiawah island – The Ocean Course / War on the Shore was awesome. Tensions were off the hook, 8-8 tie heading into singles, Calcavecchia blows a 4 hole lead with 4 to play, Langer 3 putts on the last hole when a 2 putt retains the cup…great weekend of golf!!

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

Originally Posted by Tom Rapisardo

Wish I could have seen '99 at Brookline, though.

Actually that was an amazing Sunday, the Euro's had it wrapped up...anything less then an epic choke across the board and they win...and slowly like a bad dream they started coming apart at the seems...Geez that was awesome the more i think about it!!

i don't recall who said the phrase first but "it's all over but the crying" should have been created after that event!!

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

Originally Posted by Lefty-Golfer

Actually that was an amazing Sunday, the Euro's had it wrapped up...anything less then an epic choke across the board and they win...and slowly like a bad dream they started coming apart at the seems...Geez that was awesome the more i think about it!!

i don't recall who said the phrase first but "it's all over but the crying" should have been created after that event!!

In my  Recoil bag:

Nike SQ Machspeed Black STR8-FIT Driver 

Cobra Baffler Rail 3 Wood 

Cobra Baffler Rail 3 Hybrid

Cobra Baffler Rail 4 Hybrid

Nike SQ Machspeed Irons 5-AW

Cleveland 588 - 54 Degree

Cleveland 588 - 58 Degree

TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spider Putter

NXT Tour

Kiawah Island - in a losing cause was fantastic - the course was ridiculously hard. Clac and Monty going head to head and playing 17 like hackers. Cory fing Pavin holing bunker (sorry waste area) shots from everywhere. Gamesmanship over injured players. Seve and Zinger falling out (obviously) & Langer's missed putt.

The 95 effort was superb - just didn't see it coming.

More than anything the surprise Europeans winning singles matches - Darcy beating Crenshaw at Muirfield Village, Phillip Price winning against Mickelson, Phillip Walton & Howard Clark winning matches. Christie Jnrs 2 iron into 18 at the Belfry etc etc

Can't wait. Love it when its in the US, work doesn't get in the way anywhere near as much.

Low moments - Brookline in 99 and the Friday at Celtic Manor - day off work, ready to watch the morning at home and retire to the Club for the afternoon - spend the day tidying up the house because of the rain.

1999 Can always remember when Justin Leanord made that really long putt, and danced around the green and fans. Then I think was it Monte, that complained about the cheering. Yet when Europe wins and they dance around were not supposed to complain.

I've always hated Monte, that guy is a snob.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

Note: This thread is 4218 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!