IGNORED

Golfing Alone?

trutrojan8
Note: This thread is 4263 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

5 days a week by myself

1 time a week with the Sunday (dad and business partners) foursome

Playing by yourself gives you more time to practice and analyze and think.

Playing with others gives you more time to socialize, feel the pressure of making shots with people staring at you, and get that feeling you get making great shots infront of people who wish they could be as good as you

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I golf by myself 95% of the time. Besides when I was on a team for golf and had practice and competition. I find that when I'm by myself I play better (unless I have good competition) and I like the time to think and how at peace I seem with myself when I'm golfing alone.
My Clubs
Driver: HiBore XL 10.5*
3-Wood: SS-01
Hybrid: 503H 22*
Irons: Deep Red II TourSand Wedge: CG10 56*Lob Wedge: CG10 60*Putter: V Foil GT M6.4KBall: ProV1

I play by myself all the time, especially the 9 hole course that I frequent, Mosholu in the Bronx. 18 is a lot to play alone, but I will do that pretty often as well, but honestly I would rather play 18 with a friend.

I would rather play alone than be paired with strangers.

And as already mentioned, playing alone really lets you focus on your shots and the game in general, whereas playing with friends more often than not revolves around socializing. I play so much better alone as well!
WITB

Callaway FT-5 11°
Callaway X-HOT 15°
Sonartec HB-001 19° & 23°Callaway X-22 5-PWTitleist Vokey 200 Series 52°Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 56°Titleist Vokey Special Grind 60°Scotty Cameron Mizuno M-100

i used to not do it but now i do sometimes, more for a meditative experience, just to escape and enjoy something i'm really good at. and you can have a lot of fun competiting against yourself and making bets in your head. that will keep you playing the same holes over and over until you are more content.

now i often go to courses alone with the intent of getting paired up for the purposes of networking with people who might be able to give me career advice..

I absolutely hate playing by myself. I used to do it a lot a couple years ago but now a days I hate it. Usually if i go to the course on my own ill make sure to hook up with a group. That way you get to meet a lot of interesting people as well.
Driver FT-3 9deg w/ Aldila NV 65-S
3wood Rescue 3 15deg
Irons R7 TP w/ Flighted Rifle 6.5
Wedges 48deg TA900, 53deg TA588, 58deg TA900
Putter 2 ball center shaftedBall NXT Tour

I go out as a sigle and want to hook up with other players.I have found over the years you tend to play better when you play with better players.If you play early during the week the other players are usually good players,the hacks seem to want to sleep in.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

I am a brand new golfer and want to work on my game alone so I don't embarrass myself too badly when I start playing with groups. I know that the answer to this question will varying greatly depending on where you are, but when is the best time during the summer to head out to my neighborhood muni (I’m planning on going to a 9 hole, par 3 course) and avoid running into a crowd? I typically work M-F, 8-5, but can take every other Friday off in the summer.

I golf alone all of the time during the week.

I have a regular game on Saturdays with friends.

During the week I get out and play alone all the time.

I was able to go twice this week. Both times I am the first one out. I get done in 2 hrs and 15 minutes. Unfortunately the earliest they let me tee off is 8 a.m. I would love to work out a deal that lets me tee off at 7:15, pay him at the turn and be done by 9:30.

I don't really like to play alone if I have to wait on the course. I like to zip right through my round.

In my bag:

Driver: Cleveland Hibore XL 9.5*
Hybrids: Cleveland HiBore 19*
Nike Slingshot 23*Irons: Titleist 775 CBWedges: Titleist Vokey 54.10 Callaway X-Tour 58.12

How many of you guys golf alone, and how often? I usually only go when my friends can go too, but I'd like to go often [since they can only go once a week]. Is it any fun going alone, or does it matter?

I regularly go for 9 holes on my own. Better if you go in the late afternoon when there will be fewer large groups ahead of you as you'll play relatively quickly.

Taylormade r7 460
Callaway X 3 Wood
Callaway X 5 Wood
Callaway X 7 Wood
Callaway X Hybrid (24*)TaylorMade r7 Irons (5-PW)Mizuno MP-R Series Wedges (52,58 degrees)Ping G2 Anser Putter

Like Buckethead, I only enjoy playing by myself if nobody is in front of me and I can go real quick like.

If there are a lot of people on the course, and I know it's going to be a slow day I would rather get paired with people.

Sometimes it's a real drag, but if I play at one of the harder courses in town (such as Wingpointe, Bonneville, rather than Nibley Park or Forest Dale) I tend to get paired with fairly good players, and I have noticed I play 2-3 shots better per 9 holes when playing with better players.
"The general knowledge in the United States about Australia is low. Everybody thinks we ride kangaroos to school. You don't ever take a kangaroo to school. You take them to the supermarket because you can put groceries in the pouch. "

- Stuart Appleby

In The Bag:Driver - 9.5° XTD Pro Graphite...

• 1 month later...
What are good times to go golfing alone? I want to be able to play by myself and not be paired up with any strangers. I'm new to the game and want to get in as many rounds as possible. My golfing buddies don't have the flexible schedule that I have.

I also only like to play alone if there's nobody in front and I can get round quicker. I'd rather be left waiting but with a partner than left waiting alone.
In My Bag:
Driver: Cobra F Speed 10.5°, Aldila NV 55g Regular
3 Wood: Cobra F Speed 15°, Aldila NV 55g Regular
Irons: Cobra 2300 I/M 3-PW
Wedge: Cobra M 54°Putter: Yes! SophiaBall: TaylorMade TP Red

so far this season I've only played with some friends, or a co-worker, and once with the owner/Pro of the course I play at, 6 times.

other then that I've played a round or just 9 holes all by myself everytime I go out...(and I love it) I only play during the week (so course traffic is very light at best) so that also helps out....I normally hit 2 sometimes 3 balls of the tee and play best ball from there.....and I've posted the best scores this season when playing by myself, sometimes I don't even keep score....I also have alot more fun, with no pressure to perform.

I play golf alone a lot for practice and for the sheer fun of it.

When I played yesterday with a group of people for second time after I stopped playing golf for ten years, I played exceptionally well. Far better than I had ever played, and far better than I was alone.

I played a lot of pars, greened in two, drove very well, but couldn't pitch approach or putt for with a piss :(

It's pure psychology, for the most, people perform better when they are watched.

I loved it and I will play again in a group. I still will play alone because I just enjoy playing :)

I almost never golf with others when invited to join a group unless I do so on the first tee, and even then I typically try to let them have fun and stay out of the way (almost ignoring them, but not to the point of being rude).

Do you join a group if it's in the interest of speeding up play? For instance, there's a deuce behind you and a deuce in front... would you join up in that scenario to speed up play? I HATE infringing on someone else's group, like you I assume, but I've never refused to join a group if there was another group directly behind me.

Home Course:
Town of Colonie (69.7-70.1, 119-125)

I've always played with friens, or with my dad, but I've seen people play alone and it sounds like so much fun.

What time are golf courses normally empty, or close to empty?

In my Essex Stand Bag:
3 Wood: F/Speed - Aldila S Graphite Shaft
Hybrid: Halo 3i 22° - R Graphite Shaft
Wedges: Glass Bead - Lob Wedge - 60°Putter: Tour Collection MX400 (LOVE IT!)Ball: HX-Tour 56 - Pro-V1XHome Courses: Stone Mountain Golf Course (73.5/134)

Even my retired buddys can't seem to get out as often as I would like to go, so I'll be going more alone after I found out a course very close to me has $9 walk $16 cart as-much-as-you-can-get-in starting at 6:30pm.

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

My local course charges $11 to walk as many holes as you want on weekdays after 3:00. I like to go out on Friday b/c I get off work an hour early (4:00). Plenty of time since it's daylight until 8:30.

Driver: Superquad 9.5° - XS
3 Wood: Big Bertha II 15° - S
Irons: Mizuno MX-20
Wedges: Mizuno 50-06, 56-11, 60-05
Putter: Hog Mallet

Note: This thread is 4263 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!