IGNORED

Should the captains 'Fix' a Tiger v Rory singles?!

Note: This thread is 3238 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi All,

I've pretty much joined this forum because I'm practically drooling at the prospect of what should be an amazing Ryder Cup in three weeks and I feel the need to hear from other golfing fans about their thoughts in a place a bit more sensible than the Golf Channel's comments section!

So, for my first post/thread I'm asking if anyone thinks the captains might/should try and ensure a Tiger v Rory match up?

I know comparing strokeplay and matchplay isn't that instructive, but I've gone ahead and done it anyway:

In the first round at the BMW if they were playing matchplay then Tiger holed a chip on the last forcing Rory to hole his birdie putt to win 1up!

In the second round Rory holed his 8ft birdie putt on the last to force Tiger to hole his 6ft birdie putt to win 1up!

In all there were 27 birdies and 2 eagles!!

Now THAT would be some awesome matchplay golf to watch!!

Welcome to TST...would be a fun match to see and I am sure the TV folks would like to make sure it gets fixed that way, but I`m not 100% confident that it will happen.

Welcome to the forum MalinCanada!

I'd like to see that too.  But the Captain's will probably try to pair strength to weakness for wins.  Tiger and Rory are very close in ability and their strengths right now, great short game and putting with a tremendous ability to get out of trouble.  It may end up a draw.  The Captain's may rather pair to force different ability match ups like length vs. short game, etc.  Who knows though.  Maybe it will be like baseball where the two Aces are paired at the start of a series.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by k-troop

Ryder Cup singles is blind draw, right?  So the odds are, well, 1 in 12.  It would be pretty cool, though.

With 12 players on each team, I believe the odds would be 1 in 11.

Originally Posted by Chipless

With 12 players on each team, I believe the odds would be 1 in 11.

No, it is one in 12.  Which is the same as 11-1 against.

Originally Posted by turtleback

No, it is one in 12.  Which is the same as 11-1 against

Sorry.  I was thinking that he was one of the players, so there could be only be 11 possible opponents.  Then I realized that he'll probably play against someone on the opposite team rather than his own.

T & R are virtually guaranteed winners unless they are facing each other; so why would any Captain in his right mind potentially chuck a point away by pitting his best against the oppositions best.

Their respective Captains will play them where they can do most damage and that 'aint head to head IMHO.

I'm probably in a very small minority here, but I find the thought of Tiger versus Poulter more compelling because Poults is more genuinely firey and outwardly competitive.

Think Tiger will give Ian a ride on his jet if Poulter wins?

Originally Posted by burner

T & R are virtually guaranteed winners unless they are facing each other; so why would any Captain in his right mind potentially chuck a point away by pitting his best against the oppositions best.

Their respective Captains will play them where they can do most damage and that 'aint head to head IMHO.

I agree, except "virtually guaranteed" doesn't exist in the Ryder Cup - Phillip Price knocking off Phil, Darcy beating Crenshaw, its match play under enormous pressure - weird stuff happens - counting anyone as a guaranteed win is a bit previous IMHO.

Shame Lee didn't win yesterday, then we could have had 4 different European team members winning in the last 3 weeks - good to see Hanson showing some bottle and making Eagle on 18 to win in Holland.

Originally Posted by turtleback

I like the way they do the singles pairings in the President's Cup much better than the Ryder Cup process.

What's the process in the President's Cup? I've had a hunt around on the intertubes and can't find anything about it.

I assume it's different than just each captain giving in his list of 12 names in order?

Note: This thread is 3238 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!