IGNORED

Club turning in hands

Onoku
Note: This thread is 2859 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hope it works out for you. I would note that my lead hand index finger and trail hand pinky do not have much to do with hanging on to the club. (I use an overlap instead of a interlock or ten-finger) The work of holding the club is mostly done by thumb, pinky, ring, and middle finger of the lead hand and by the thumb and index finger of the trail hand.

Another thing to check is the size of your grips. If they are too small, you may not be able to get fingers around without hitting the other side of your hand.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Thanks, Rusty. I've been watching videos all day trying to reconstruct my swing from the ground up. I am about to head out to the range again, so I'll keep that in mind about gripping the club.

Okay, well I didn't fix my problem apparently. It wasn't happening for a few swings, but then it just went right back to turning over. I have no idea what the problem is. I posted a video of my swing if anyone would be kind enough to have a look. I hold the club in front of me after the swing so you can see how the club face closes.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/62082/my-swing-onoku

Do this-put some impact tape on the club, hit until you recreate the slippage, and look where you made impact. If it's twisting clockwise then you're hitting it on the toe. Counter clockwise and you're on the heel, assuming for a righty.

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

you are not alone!

i played a round yesterday and felt the same sensation

but for me, the twisting seemed to happen on the backswing and i tried to somehow compensate on impact

result was a lot of hooks

not really sure why it happened...my guess was that my right hand must have been set very strong

by that i mean turned over to the right (im right-handed)

im going to play again tomorrow and will address this and see what happens....

• 11 months later...

i posted a similar question about this today.  this is a very old post that doesnt have any closure, so i was hoping those that chimed in are still around.  i'm currently trying to figure out the exact issue.

one thing i noticed was his impact came into question a lot.  i'm not sure if he had the same issue, but i can swing at nothing and have the same closed face result.  So it's not the impact cuasing the turn for me.  in fact, i know that my issue will happen prior to actually doing ANYTHING.  it's happened to me enough to realize when it's going to happen, before it does (the moment i address the ball).  so i know it HAS to be my grip.

more specifically, i think i'm griping too tight.  i just started golfing late last summer and played all winter long, even got my first eagle in 32 degree weather from 152 out.  i think that as i begin to sweat more, i'm subconsciously gripping tighter as the thought crosses my mind from time to time that i'm going to lose my club in the backswing.  however, i just stop my swing and start over and usually am fine.  the real issue is when i know it's coming before it happens and at that point i'm done for the day. this just started during the hotter months.

anyways, 2 nights ago i finally broke down and checked my grip pressure.  i was really sweaty and it started happening, and was bad.  i took my dripping glove off and wrapped a towel around both hands and the club.  problem solved!!  i actually hit both my 7i and LW 20 yards further than ever. .with total control and complete "feel" during the swing.  unfortunately, it was at sunset and i havent had a chance to test beyond those 5 shots, so i'm stoked about my range session i'm hitting today.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys ,

New here . Been about 2 years since i started , i consider myself to be decent ball striker with the irons. no problem. its the woods that are driving me nuts. I can even hit my 4 rescue , coming down pretty squarely on the ball. as i move up to the 3 wood and the driver my entire game goes for a toss.

Im having the same problem as the topic is trying to address , during the transition i tend to come down with the face closed . like the poster above this happens even with dry swings . so it has to be the grip . i will try out what rustyredcab has suggested for the grip.

i also tend to choke down a lot which gives a feeling of control but inadvertently tend to close the club face prior to impact . sorry for a newbie type question but at the top of the back swing should the toe of the driver be pointing upwards ? is that the key to coming down squarely ?

Hi guys ,

New here . Been about 2 years since i started , i consider myself to be decent ball striker with the irons. no problem. its the woods that are driving me nuts. I can even hit my 4 rescue , coming down pretty squarely on the ball. as i move up to the 3 wood and the driver my entire game goes for a toss.

Im having the same problem as the topic is trying to address , during the transition i tend to come down with the face closed . like the poster above this happens even with dry swings . so it has to be the grip . i will try out what rustyredcab has suggested for the grip.

i also tend to choke down a lot which gives a feeling of control but inadvertently tend to close the club face prior to impact . sorry for a newbie type question but at the top of the back swing should the toe of the driver be pointing upwards ? is that the key to coming down squarely ?

Grip is important, but more than likely the weight isn't forward enough at impact.  Check out drills for Key #2

http://purestrike5sk.com/videos.php

In terms of the clubface on the backswing, there isn't one way to do it.  There are pros that are open, square and closed on the backswing.  For most players I prefer to see the clubface matching the left arm to slightly closed (facing the sky).  What the clubface is doing is usually a product of something else.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I got a third . Sorry for two posts. this one came in later and i couldn't edit my first post. would really appreciate if someone could point out whats going wrong , this only happens with the driver. I have joined a league and my first game is dayafter. going to spend the entire day at the range tomorrow trying to fix this. its literally 'driving' me nuts.  thanks for your patience guys . :)

This is a bit anti-climactic, but I think I may have figured out what was causing the slippage. Because it has been several years since I have really golfed, I thought maybe I should just go back to the basics. When I went to the driving range yesterday, I was using the interlocking grip. Today my pinky and forefinger were pretty sore. When I first started golfing, I used to use a ten finger grip, so I decided maybe I should give it a try again. I just took several swings with it and got almost not movement. I switched back to interlocking and it slipped again. I think that the gap created by my fingers being interlocked was reducing my grip and allowing the club to slip. I will have to look into this further, but it seems like the solution may have actually been pretty simple.

I see you've fixed it now.

I was going to suggest either:

- Worn Glove

- Incorrect Grip Size

I suffered from this last year, because I got some oversized jumbo grips, which I was fitted for ( :censored: ), which turned out to be the wrong size and caused this issue. A good way to work out exactly what's slipping is look at the wear on your glove. This can also mean a grip issue as you've worked out above

Akhil:  it looks like a pretty nice swing to me.  You come into the ball nicely from the inside which is great.  It looks like the path of your club after impact is heading left (i.e. 11  on a clock face)  which would close the face.  When I had this problem I had to concentrate very hard at keeping the path heading more towards 1:00 (if that makes sense).  You do "stand up" at and after impact:  your spine angle changes dramatically from your set up position which will make it difficult to keep the club square.

These may not work for you, so please do not stick with them if they don't, they are just things that have worked for me:  Try to maintain a consistent spine angle through your shot and see what that does.  And/or think about your club continuing to travel more towards 1 on the clock dial after the shot

• 1 year later...

I have literally the exact same problem. I was playing really well hitting the irons clean most times then suddenly it felt like it was holding a block of ice. My favourite club is my mizuno 4 iron which I was hitting 180-200 yards but now I couldn't hit a beach ball. I've tried everything.

• 1 year later...

Out of the blue ive just started getting the same problem Onuko, i use the interlocking grip and when my club hits the ball my right hand grip is at 45 degrees and the club face is open to the target about 45 degrees , when i have my next game i am going to try using a golf glove on the right hand if that fails i'll get a lesson .

On 9/10/2012 at 7:46 AM, iacas said:

It doesn't have to.

Learn to have a VERY firm grip and relatively soft wrists and forearms.

The finger muscles don't extend into the forearm. Learn to control your hand muscles independently of your wrist and forearm muscles.

True dat! I remember reading an article where the author interviewed Ben Hogan, which didn't happen very often. He said when he shook Hogan's hand, he felt like he'd stuck his right hand in a vise!

My Uncle was a country club pro before WWII, and was much the same way. About as big as me, 5'9" and about 165, but he had huge hands and these big, "Popeye", forearms. When he grabbed you, you knew you'd been grabbed! But, that never influenced the fluidity of his swings. When I was in my late teens, early 20's, he would have been in his late 40's, early 50's. I could hit the ball pretty good, but his drives would just crap all over mine!

As far as the OP's problem, I don't really know what to make of it. Is it his grip problem, swing problem, or equipment problem? I've swung older used clubs that had grips so slick they were nearly impossible to hang onto!

I'd suggest that he have one of these clubs re-gripped, and see if he continues to have the same problem with it. If not, then he knows what he needs to do!

Edited by Buckeyebowman

Having gone through this numerous times myself, what I found for me anyway, was a bad takeaway.  Plus losing sequence at the top causing a regrip and boom, closed face and a hook if I actually made contact with the ball after all that went on.  Sometimes I can feel it before halfway through my back swing and stop the swing and start over.  Still trying to eradicate it. 

Edited by lenman73

There are 2 kinds of "twisting" . . the club twisting in your hands before impact and the club twisting in your hands at impact - different things, imo. 

Twisting before impact - most likely bad swing plane.  For me, it would be a too flat takeaway and what I would do is really think about my wrists in the takeaway and not let them breakdown.  Think about how I'm going to swing the club so it doesn't want to twist in my hands.  I do also have a really firm grip, though - with my hands.  At impact, I'm sorry to tell you, that bird would be dead!  (to paraphrase Shawn Clement). 

Twisting at impact - most likely a toe hit.  Don't hit it on the toe.  Just kidding - that one rarely happens to me so I don't really know what to do except just not do that next time. 

Note: This thread is 2859 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!