IGNORED

NBC Sports: Passing the "Torch" to Rory McIlroy?

StealthTrader
Note: This thread is 4208 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by FarWest

Are you really continuing to state that Kiawah Island was windless?  Unbelievable.

And you might point out to me where I referred to the rest of the field as no more than a nuisance.  Your capacity to imagine things is quite impressive.

So your contention is that the wind blew like a gale all 4 days?

Imagination? I'm a writer and attorney. I have a vivid and creative imagination.

I lie ... a lot...

Lighten up, Francis.

Rory is on a roll, Tiger does not have his "A" game. I'm enjoying this friendly rivalry. Can't wait 'till they both are on their games. Enjoy it, man. Take the frownie off your face.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Rory not KING

2 majors by 23

TIger didn't do that

Both majors 8 shot wins, that's called LAPPING THE FIELD

If Rory had been in the USA not Ireland and winning US amateurs

He would have had his family on IMG's payroll as 'consultant's from the time he was 16 and he would have had the career grand slam by now

Tigers dad had a 6 figure deal with IMG when tiger was around 16, so Tiger was basically a 'pro' since 16.

Even though his father was cashing the checks

Yet he didn't have 2 majors by 23

Tiger lapped the field on a short Masters course and then realized, wow my swing isn't that great compared to the best

He rebuilt it and then had the best run anyone ever had

Then he realized, wow, if I don't want to destroy my body, I better rebuild this swing

He rebuilt it again

Then his personal life blew apart and for whatever reason he rebuilt his swing again

You are seeing Tigers new 'A' game

Tiger is now in the age range when every pro tells you, their putting sucks, due to years of 'missing' a pressure putt here and there

I like Tiger

I think he needs to go back to his Cameron he won 13/14 majors with

See Stockton

Then he wins 5 or 6 more majors in 6 years.

He ends up with 19 or 20 majors

He then fades into oblivion

Rory...

Hmmm

Not sure if he's a 10+ major winner

But for the next 10 years, I don't see anyone winning more majors than he should

He's just a little small to be hitting it so hard, so he may end up with major back or other injury issues

For a smaller guy he pounds it

Heck

Rory McIlROY means the RED KING

So Rory was born a KING

And now his game has made him KING of the PGA and his 3/4 wins in 4 weeks with a major and 2 playoffs is HUGE

Peaking at the right time

Yep

Now Tiger can win the Fedex in 2 weeks and guess what he's still not POTY

It's Rory's year and you are now into year 2 of the Rory decade

Rory from 22 to 32 has the 'game' to set new records

As long as his body doesn't break down from the huge torque he generates

I agree with the OP. Don't get me wrong, Rory has been displaying IMMACULATE talent but come on, I think these stations are jumping the gun, just a tad bit. If this continues and he goes on to win a crapton of the upcoming tournaments next season whether it is a huge margine or not, then I might have a change of heart but until then, he's just a potential challenger.

I do hope this fuels Tiger to work harder than he has ever worked in his career in the off season so he can respond to Rory's last few wins with a few wins of his own.

2013 Nike VR_S Covert Performance Driver

2013 Nike VR_S Covert Perfomance 15° 3W

18° Burner 1.0 Superlaunch Rescue Hybrid

:mizuno: 4-PW MP-69 Irons

50°, 54° & 58° ATV wedges

Classic Collection #1 Black Putter

:bridgestone: Tour B330 Balls

2013 Tour v3 Laser Rangefinder w/ Jolt Technology

You don't know what pressure is until you play for five bucks with only two bucks in your pocket. -Lee Trevino

Originally Posted by colin007

tiger has NOT put up his best game yet in these playoffs.  had he played the par 5s like he should have, we would have seen a different outcome the past 2 weeks.  every time i checked, there was tiger parring another par 5.

The question is, will Tiger get better or is this his best? We don't know at this time.

Last 2 rounds on near major competition events

Rory was -40

Closest at 2nd

Tiger -36

So Rory who did not play his 'A' game to BMW was 12% better than Tiger, who had one of his 'best' 2 weeks in a while

As Chamblee likes to say

THIS IS THE NEW TIGER not the 2001 Tiger we are used to

THIS IS THE NEW 36 YEAR OLD TIGER with more baggage than anyone wants

Personally I think the next 6 or so years will be similar to seeing Jack in his Prime against Arnie when Arnie was on the Wane

Rory is the in Prime Jack and Tiger is the old King Arnie putting up a great effort but falling just a little short

Bubba is the Trevino with a home made swing

Now I just have to figure out who the modern 'Gary Player' is

Maybe Oosthuizen (sp?) or even GMac LOL

The next 5 years though look like one of the most competitive era's in PGA History similar to the 60's with the Big 3

I think the very fact that everybody is always trying to declare the latest hot player as "the new Tiger" speaks to the fact that everybody appreciates his accomplishments.  The fact is it's damned exciting and it would be great if the "next Tiger" came along.

Rory is amazing, though.  Like most ppl here (I think) I see him as the only real potential dominant player out there.  There are a lot of players on tour right now that are capable of a great week or a couple of great weeks . . but nobody could come close to the run that Tiger has sustained (which is not over yet).

Rory seems like he could get there - but his game just dropped off the face of the planet for the middle part of this season.  That's something you never saw Tiger doing  . .lapping the field one week and missing the cut the next.  I worry for Rory if he should encounter a sustained period of bad golf - it seems like he has the right mentality to get through it but we'll have to see.

After all - you can think whatever you want about Tiger's circumstances in his personal life but it's a rare person who could rise above that and play great golf - when he knows there are people in the gallery who loathe him and consider him a "bad person", etc.  I can't even hit a drive if somebody is watching me - let alone hating me.

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

So your contention is that the wind blew like a gale all 4 days?

Imagination? I'm a writer and attorney. I have a vivid and creative imagination.

I lie ... a lot...

Lighten up, Francis.

Rory is on a roll, Tiger does not have his "A" game. I'm enjoying this friendly rivalry. Can't wait 'till they both are on their games. Enjoy it, man. Take the frownie off your face.

I said that it blew a gale on Friday and that conditions were difficult on the other three days, and you then somehow interpet that as a contention that it blew a gale for four days.  I assume that as an author your genre is fantasy.  You make what are, with all due respect, profoundly stupid statements, and then misquote and misrepresent what others say in response ......................................................................  I can only assume, therefore, that you're quite a successful attorney.

Tigers first 15 or so years on tour, no one really dominated like him and his best competition came from whom, Mickelson?

Now you have a whole new generation of players that grew up trying to emulate Tiger

Rory is the first dominate player to have a nice run in the Tiger Era.

Only problem now, Tiger is well past his prime, 10 years past his record run.

Now he's got more emotional baggage than anyone should have.

Will he win again was the question, he said yeah with 3 wins this year.

Will he win majors again.

I say he does.

Will he win 4 in a row again, no way.

Tiger 'may' give Rory a game for 2 to no more than 4 years, then Tiger is in the absolute wane of any golfers career, his 40's.

So the next 10 years are not Tigers, they belong to a new dominate player and that sure looks like Rory.

Starting with Arnie, you had domination really by only 3 players.

Arnie in 50's

Jack in 60's and some of 70's

Tiger in 00's

The teens in this century so far have Tiger with 0 Majors and Rory with 2 and a top 5 showing in a 3rd and the Masters 15th, absolute best record in Majors thus far in the teens of this century.

You can't really name a 'dominate' golfer as to majors in the 80's and 90's.

No one had runs.

Sure you had 'great golfers' but no real heads and shoulders above everyone else domination.

Arnie did it some, Jack set the bar and Tiger showed he was as dominate as Jack in his era, only Jack had Arnie on the wane, Trevino, Player and Watson to go toe to toe with and even Miller.

Who did Tiger have, Mickelson, Els, Vijay, then who?

Rory is the first player to make Tiger look human.

No one does tiger capture 4 majors in a row, he may not capture 4 more majors the rest of his career.

I personally think he has 5 or 6 left in the tank.

If he goes back to his Cameron putter and sees Stockton

My 3 cents on the Tiger/Rory debate

While I root for no one in particular I do think having the younger players win is good for the sport. NBC pumping Rory seems to be nothing more than premature blabber to fill air time. Most of todays pro's have a long way to go to come close to TW accomplishments

• Administrator
Originally Posted by ThominOH

WAAAAAAAAAA... My boyfriend Tiger isn't being treated like a King anymore....  Man crushes are so childish..

And your post was so mature.

Originally Posted by 1player

Use ignore if you don't like to read my words.

I do not use paragraphs for 'forums'.

I think your handle should be

'Net Nazi"

Uhm, first and final warning.

And your posts are annoying as hell to read, so I don't read them. What's the point of typing all that shit out if you know very few people are going to read it because it's formatted like crap?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by 1player

Use ignore if you don't like to read my words.

I do not use paragraphs for 'forums'.

I think your handle should be

'Net Nazi"

What is this? Golf Haiku?

• Upvote 2

I said that it blew a gale on Friday and that conditions were difficult on the other three days, and you then somehow interpet that as a contention that it blew a gale for four days.  I assume that as an author your genre is fantasy.  You make what are, with all due respect, profoundly stupid statements, and then misquote and misrepresent what others say in response ......................................................................  I can only assume, therefore, that you're quite a successful attorney.

Okay, let's stick to the issue. We're not in high school trading insults and this is not the debate team. At least, I'm not....

And I apologize, it was another poster who said "Tiger put up his game, and Rory swatted it away like a mild inconvenience." I thought it was you who had posted that comment. You did not.

Looking at the weather reports from that time period and from the news.

Thursday - Benign Conditions

Friday - Hellish Conditions - Rory shoots 75, Tiger shoots 71.

Saturday - can't finish because of threatening T-Storms, but from reports, conditions were better than Friday - Rors shoots 67, Tiger 74 over Saturday and Sunday Morning.

Sunday - they played 1.5 rounds in mostly benign conditions.

My point is Rors has shown he plays well in scoring conditions. A 67 on Friday. He had a 3 stroke lead going into Sunday Afternoon and playing in what many said was fine weather, shot 35 for 9 holes, and then shot a 66 in the p.m. In other words, he made his run on the field in scoring conditions.

The one Hellish day, Friday, he did not score well. With better conditions on Saturday, but still not good according to reports, he shot a 32 on the first nine. Nicely Done, Rors.

IMHO, Rors is a great player, I enjoy watching him play. I don't think Rors has shown us enough to say he is a "weather" player. If given crap weather for 4 days, I'll take Tiger over Rors. Experience matters in poor conditions.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

You make what are, with all due respect, profoundly stupid statements, and then misquote and misrepresent what others say in response.

Anyone getting that riled up over a golf discussion, attacking someone they don't know ... maybe it's easier to attack people on the net ... oh, what the hell, it's just golf.

But hey, I apologize, it was another poster who said, " You gotta admit that two weeks in a row, Tiger put up his game, and Rory swatted it away like a mild inconvenience."

You did not. But it's hell trying to multi-task and I assumed it was you and I having the discussion.

Okay, carry on...

Don't like my prose.

Funny

I've written over 50 books and made  6 films on my work.

Some love my style and others well they can read someone else.

Personally I love bullet point writing styles, short and sweet hit the point move on.

But in some works I have been known to drone on a page or two without a paragraph break.

The net is made for bullet point writing IMO.

But opinions are like A HOLES everyone has one.

Originally Posted by chilepepper

While I root for no one in particular I do think having the younger players win is good for the sport. NBC pumping Rory seems to be nothing more than premature blabber to fill air time. Most of todays pro's have a long way to go to come close to TW accomplishments

OK

How many majors did TW have by 23?

Seems Rory already out accomplished Tiger on that which is the whole thing Tiger came to do, WIN MAJORS

LOL

RORY RORY RORY

Tiger Who

Note: This thread is 4208 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!