IGNORED

Poll: What Type of Golfer are You?

MEfree
Note: This thread is 4215 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. When it comes to the rules of golf, what category do you fall into?

• Always follow the rules PERFECTLY- i.e. have taken a course to be a rules official or studied enough to know all the rules and decisions inside and out.
    • Know the basic rules and ALWAYS try to follow them as much as possible, but may make an occasional mistake or be uncertain as to a more obscure rule or decision.
    • Know the basic rules, but will not always follow them in a non-competitive round (i.e. drop a ball near where you think you lost your original when you did not hit a provisional)
    • Try to follow the rules, but suspect you have a flawed understanding of some of the rules (i.e. think it is ok to just drop near where you think you lost your original ball, not knowing that they should really go back to the tee).
    • Not interested in following the rules- i.e. not willing to give up your foot wedge if you draw a tough lie.
    • None of the Above- please explain below.

NOTA. I know enough to not violate any rules and I don't find myself in a position where an obscure rule would be an issue. My experience is a basic understanding and observing the local rules are enough. I do encounter folks on the course that question everything, usually without cause. I don't like getting stuck with the guy that asks for a ruling every other hole.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm not a rules official but I do carry the Rules of Golf in my bag and on my iPhone so I can verify anything questionable.  If the course is backed up and we're unable to determine the appropriate ruling at the time, we will look it up later and make sure we know for the future.

Joe Paradiso

I voted: "Know the basic rules, but will not always follow them in a non-competitive round (i.e. drop a ball near where you think you lost your original when you did not hit a provisional)"

I am planning on joining an amatuer tour later in the fall, so I am lately making a better effort at understanding the rules, only to find out I don't understand them that well at all.

So I am probably more of a combination of that one and choice four.

In casual rounds, I freely admit that there are a few rules I ignore or apply incorrectly.  I never walk back to the tee if I lose a ball or find one OB and didn't already hit a provisional, and I also don't take proper drops.  I just "toss" the ball down on the ground.

Know the basic rules and try to follow them but sometimes make a mistake.  Im not THAT into knowing all the rules of the game but I try to follow them as much as possible.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Know the basic rules and always try to follow them.  I make mistakes in the rules but never intentionally and I learn from those mistakes.  It's part of the enjoyment I get from the game.

FWIW....not just in golf either.  Any sport/game that I play, I play by the rules of that particular sport/game to the best of my ability/knowledge.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Know the basic rules and ALWAYS try to follow them as much as possible, but may make an occasional mistake or be uncertain as to a more obscure rule or decision.

I have never taken a rules course, nor have I read the rules cover to cover.  I do carry a rule book in my bag, for when I need it.  I try to follow the rules the best I can, and expand my knowledge base as I encounter new situations.

Bryan

:wishon:  919, Aldila Voodoo  :callaway: Razr X Tour 3h  :callaway: Razr Hawk 3w, Aldila NV  :callaway: Razr X Forged 4-PW, KBS Tour  :wishon:  52, 56, 60, KBS Tour
 :odyssey: White Ice 330, 33in  :aimpoint:    :true_linkswear:

I play everything "down". If I hit out of bounds not knowing there was out of bounds and it's a busy day on the course and not a competitive round I will drop and play it as a lateral instead of trudging back to the tee and disrupting the play on the course.. That is about the only rule I knowingly will break. Well, except for the 2 balls off the first tee if I haven't warmed up.

R11s driver

R11 3 wood

Glide sole design 5 wood

Cleveland CG16 irons

Vokey SM4 48*, Vokey SM4 52*, Vokey SM4 56* wedges

Yes! Eleanor putter

Originally Posted by Willie Malay

I play everything "down". If I hit out of bounds not knowing there was out of bounds and it's a busy day on the course and not a competitive round I will drop and play it as a lateral instead of trudging back to the tee and disrupting the play on the course.. That is about the only rule I knowingly will break. Well, except for the 2 balls off the first tee if I haven't warmed up.

I do this, except in the case where it would be discourteous to go back and hit another on a hole where a ball unexpectedly goes OB and I didn't hit a provisional (rare, but it happens) I'll drop where it went out of bounds but treat it, penalty-wise as if it is a provisional, rather than a lateral.  So I would be hitting my fourth shot, not my third.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

I voted "Know the basic rules, but will not always follow them in a non-competitive round (i.e. drop a ball near where you think you lost your original when you did not hit a provisional)" but as I think about it more I am probably more closely aligned to "Know the basic rules and ALWAYS try to follow them as much as possible, but may make an occasional mistake or be uncertain as to a more obscure rule or decision."

The reality is that I always do my best to play by the rules.  From time to time I drop the ball where I thought it went OB (if I did not take a provisional) and the like, but that tends be at the hands of mob (foursome) rule and maintaining course speed.

I carry the Rules of Golf with me but if something that I don't know happens I'm not always going to find out the correct ruling until after the round in order maintain the pace of play.  If a penalty is in order I'll add it to my score.

I follow the rules most of the time.  The only rule I might break is dropping a ball along the line of flight if I didn't hit a provisonal.  This is more of a speed of play thing.  If I know its gone I hit a provisional.

In my bag:

Driver: Covert Performance
Super Hybrid : :nike: 2H - 17* Covert Performance

Irons: :nike:Covert 4I - PW

Wedges: :nike:X3X Wedges (52*, 56*, 60*)

Putter: Method Core 1i

Ball: :nike:One RZN

Upgrading Always.

I'm a Two, except I will drop if I can't find my tee shot. I will hit provisional if I know I lost it, but I'm not goin back to the tee and holdin everybody up cause I pulled a dumbo

Driver - RBZ 10.5 

3 Wood - Burner 2.0 - 15

Hybrids - Burner 2.0 3-18, 4-21, 5-24

Irons - Burner 2.0  5-P

Wedges - RAC 52 and 56

Putter -  Anser 2 

Ball -  NXT-Tour

I know the basic rules and follow them, even when playing by myself. If I run into a questionable situation and move my ball, I go ahead and mark a penalty stroke, then, before I log my score into GHIN online, I consult the USGA rules/decisions site. I've actually waited 2 days for an e-mail on a ruling from the USGA before logging my score in.

My Bag:

Burner 9.5

X 3&5 Woods

DCI Gold 3- PW(48*) + 52* Vokey wedge

56* sand wedge

Cushin Putter

Playing the casual rounds that I do, I will kick a rules nazi out of my group. Although I do make an honest attempt to follow the rules, sometimes it is simply not practical in real life (and quite unregulated) situations.

Not to say I've ever kicked someone out of my group, hehe... because I have not. I suppose it really depends on who I'm playing with too.

A group of friends? As long as nobody has ever made a habit of bragging about winning while embellishing some shots a bit "its his game, if he wants a gimmie that's his perogative." But folks who fluff shots and otherwise don't follow the rules while bragging about victories don't sit well with me either.

So I say, "Honest attempt to follow the rules, but will yield when not practicable."  Of course, there are the occasional uncertainties, because I am not exactly well verse in the rules of golf. :)

Driver: :adams: Speedline F11 9.5* loft 3 Wood: :adams: Speedline F12 15* Hybrid: :adams: Idea Super Hybrid 17* - Used in place of my 5 wood Hybrid: :adams: Idea A1 i-wood 21* Irons: :adams: Idea A1 5-PW Wedges: :adams: Watson 52*, 56*, 60* Wedges Putter: :tmade: Rossa Lambeau, Black

Originally Posted by MEfree

What did you answer?  Why are you in that category?

I answered #1 because I have attended USGA Rules Workshops and I've worked as a Colorado Golf Association Rules official for statewide competitions.  However I certainly don't profess to be able to live up to the rest of your conclusion that such experience makes me a rules robot or something.  That's why I carry a rule book in my bag, and why when working as an official at a competition I also carried the decisions book, and a radio to call for help if it got too crazy or if the player concerned wouldn't take my word on a ruling.

As far as playing by the rules, that's not as difficult as you try to make it out to be, nor is it all that complex.  The rules mostly only become complicated after you screw up by applying one or more procedures incorrectly.  If you learn how to apply the applicable rule correctly when the relief situation arises, then you just take your relief or penalty drop in the right place and play on.  Don't touch or move your ball unless or until you are certain that you are doing what you really want to do, and that you are doing it correctly.  Play a provisional ball any time your shot heads toward a nasty area that may not be part of a water hazard.

Any player who says that these few things are too complex to play by has never made a real attempt to learn them.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Originally Posted by Stewie007

A group of friends? As long as nobody has ever made a habit of bragging about winning while embellishing some shots a bit "its his game, if he wants a gimmie that's his perogative." But folks who fluff shots and otherwise don't follow the rules while bragging about victories don't sit well with me either.

This made me laugh...I am not sure why I made the connection, but it reminded me of a situation last week with a guy I have played with a few times this summer where we both made a mess of the hole.  I am lying 4 on the front of the green with what should be an easy 2 putt.  He has already put 2 balls into the water and rolls his putt for a 7 (net 6) about 2.5 past the cup and gives himself the come back putt without me saying anything.  I proceed to knock my putt 3 feet past the hole like an idiot, but quickly putt the next one in the middle of the cup to win with a 6 over his net "7"  He then turns to me and says "You know, you needed to make that one for the win."

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

So he has a dual handicap.... One without embellishments and one with.... So that's.... 25/10 ? hehehehe

Driver: :adams: Speedline F11 9.5* loft 3 Wood: :adams: Speedline F12 15* Hybrid: :adams: Idea Super Hybrid 17* - Used in place of my 5 wood Hybrid: :adams: Idea A1 i-wood 21* Irons: :adams: Idea A1 5-PW Wedges: :adams: Watson 52*, 56*, 60* Wedges Putter: :tmade: Rossa Lambeau, Black

Note: This thread is 4215 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!