IGNORED

My Swing (JE355804)

JE355804
Note: This thread is 4227 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 10 Years

My current handicap index or average score is: 80

My typical ball flight is: Short Iron Shots - High straight

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Short Iron Weak right push

-Here's my swing guys... So basically I've been stuck at about 78-82 for a long time now. It's because I'm not scoring from 150 out. A lot of my short irons are finishing weak and right, whereas when I make solid contact it's a strong straight draw.

I'm hoping someone can pinpoint a few of my weaknesses and give me some tips on how to improve them.

I'd also like to say that I am trying to find a way to get in a more solid position at the top. I feel like rather than driving down, I'm sort of casting at the very top. Let me know what you think! Thanks!

Videos:

~I've been in-toeing as of late to stop overrotating at the back... I however could just as easily stop doing this.

You gotta fix your address.

1.) Flare your feet.

2.) Squat into a more athletic stance - which will bowe your knees slightly out at address.

3.) Widen your stance - feet should be nearly shoulder width apart.

Check out the model golfer below who is Grant Waite - he is 6'1" and 185lbs (similar build).

Basically - your knees are bowed in.  Very close together.  This is causing issues with your pivot.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm not good enough to pick too many faults in your swing other than the address as mentioned above.

You say your problem is from 150 and in..... how well/often do you practice this?

I found that I was getting nowhere with this side of my game even though I was practicing the short irons at the range a lot, it just isn't the same as getting to a course where you can practice away at hitting greens. I try to get out at quiet times and throw a few balls down and practice the real deal.

I feel like such a mother, but will you stop swinging indoors...... :)

It's only a matter of time before you take a divot out of that nice new carpet.

(It happened a guy I know...his wife was not impressed) :)

Pigeoned toe stance

Are you pigeon toed?

My younger brother was at birth

Had to wear leg braces in crib to cure it

Scoring is done within 150 yards usually

400 yard par 4, you hit it what 260/280

you got 120/140 to green, scoring hole

par 5

you arrive in two or a knock down 3rd wedge

scoring holes big time

par 3

180+

you pray for pars

just look at a pro on

par 3's

par 5's

par 4's

they are all 'over' on par 3's

they are all under on par 5's

they tend to break even on par 4's

you do not 'score' past 150 on a course

the scoring is usually done within 150 and often within 100

No I'm not pingeon toed, like I said in my initital post I switched to intoeing because I was overrotating and I saw Anthony Kim doing it. I can just as easily switch back to a normal stance. I'll post videos of that tonight. And I can't stop swinging on my carpet... It's my driving range lol. Do you guys see any serious faults in my swing itself? Thanks for the input everyone

your hips aren't rotating at all at impact

freeze frame your impact

where's your belt buckle

pointing at the ball

now look at rory and a young tiger at impact

where's the belt buckle at impact

facing the target

so you are trying to stop the most important part of the swing

a properly rotated hips so you are loose at the bottom or impact

the reason you push, is your hips are not rotated at impact

what were you trying to stop

over rotation of hips

why

that's what creates the huge SS on tour

the difference between every pro and almost every amateur is the pro has fired his hips and is facing the target at impact and the amateurs are stuck square or almost square hips at impact

just look at your belt buckle at impact

then look at impact on a young tiger or rory

see the huge difference in 'hip rotation'

by trying to not rotate hips, you now have pigeoned toe impact with square hips to line instead of hips facing the target

who told you that you were 'over rotating'

if a pro teacher sue him for malpractice

Geez man does everyone have to swing like Grant Waite? Guy didn't exactly light up the Tour or anything. Give it a rest. If you want to help people tell them WHY youre telling them what you're telling them. "issues with your pivot" is not telling them. [quote name="Beachcomber" url="/t/62050/my-swing-je355804#post_767462"]You gotta fix your address.   1.) Flare your feet. 2.) Squat into a more athletic stance - which will bowe your knees slightly out at address. 3.) Widen your stance - feet should be nearly shoulder width apart. Check out the model golfer below who is Grant Waite - he is 6'1" and 185lbs (similar build). [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/59899/] [/URL] Basically - your knees are bowed in.  Very close together.  This is causing issues with your pivot. [/quote]

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Here is the front view - I tried to bow out my knees slightly more. In addition I also was working on "firing" my hips more towards the target.

Let me know if you guys think this is an improvement. Also, please point out any other areas you see that could be improved upon.

Originally Posted by JE355804

Here's the freeze frame of my impact point, my belt buckle is definitely more rotated than before.

Looks like I might be sliding my hips now... any way to work on activating the hips more without sliding?

Originally Posted by Phil McGleno

Geez man does everyone have to swing like Grant Waite? Guy didn't exactly light up the Tour or anything. Give it a rest.

If you want to help people tell them WHY youre telling them what you're telling them. "issues with your pivot" is not telling them.

No - he doesn't have to look like Grant.  But Grant is a great model to learn from.  Many instructors use his swing as a 'centered pivot' model.  Which is how the game is played by a majority of the top golfers in the world.  I'd be happy to change the picture to CH3 or another if you'd like.

Also, can we keep this thread to helping JE355804 - and not about how many tour wins Grant had? Cheers.

Your posture at address could be tweaked too.  In particular, your lower lumbar spine is like an 'S' (see the left).  Try and get more of a rounded lumbar.  In order to get more of a rounded lumbar - try feeling like you pull your abdomin in... Like you're flexing your abs.  This will help prevent injury to the lower back.

Here are a few models taken from the 'Golf Posture' thread here on the site:

http://thesandtrap.com/t/56069/good-golf-posture

Alright I'm going to work on fixing my spine angle at address... This is something i've worked on for a long time, however my lumbars natural flex in concave as you see. Bending it over has always felt uncomfortable.

Also, I'm going to continue to work on clearing my hips through the swing... I will say however those all are driver swings, which is a longer club and the hips naturally clear more with that club. Tiger certainly doesn't look like the above when swinging a PW.

Alright.... this stance was definitely harder for me to adjust to than the other. I think this is more in line with what you were saying though.

Here is the front view. Really working on keeping my hips more rotated without sliding them.... I think it's definitely better than it was above.

Keep the suggestions coming. I can feel my swing getting more and more solid with each new correction. I already can see on impact with a freeze frame I am in a MUCH MUCH better position.

Thank you guys big time for the help.

Note: This thread is 4227 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!