IGNORED

Bet on 2013: Tiger vs. Rory

iacas
Note: This thread is 3803 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Who will have more official earnings on the PGA Tour in 2013? Explain why in a post.

• Tiger Woods
    • Rory McIlroy

Tiger is getting better every week. If he stays healthy my money is on him. People are giving Rory more credit than he deserves. Is he good, absolutely but he has more to prove before he's the next Tiger Woods. Like surpassing all the other legendary players that have won more than him and less than Tiger.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I voted Rory because he plays in more tournaments, but then re-read the question and saw that you specified only PGA Tour earnings.  I'd switch my vote to Tiger since he'll play likely play in more PGA Tour events than Rory and I expect them to have similar success.

Joe Paradiso

Voted Tiger.

Because when Tiger dominated all those years, he didn't really win a golf tournament every week, but.....he stayed relevant almost every tournament and was in sunday contention as much too, even if he had a not so particularly good ball striking week.

Sound familiar ?

Yeah....that's what happened last week at BMW.

I think...for the first time since 2010, Tiger Woods was in contention in a tournament he didn't particularly play so well....as opposed to those Sundays where he played brilliantly, only to be beaten by some other player who played a notch better.

If this continues, expect to see the fight for head honcho of world golf to be a 2 horse race between Rory and Tiger.

Well..after a week's break, lets see if Rory really has what it takes...or was he just riding a temporary form wave...

I am really pumped up for next week !

Cheers

Ray

I voted for Tiger. I like Tiger's consistency, when he has a good tournament he will be in the top 5, when he has a bad tournament he will be in the top 20. When Rory has a good tournament he will also be in the top 5, when he has a bad tournament he misses the cut.

I voted Rory, but it will depend on how many events he play one each tour.

Rory has a $2 million lead on the PGA tour money list over Tiger, but he is also the leading money winner in the Race to Dubai at 2.8 milllion euros (only a .5 million euro lead over Rose).

Players play, tough players win!

Originally Posted by Wally Fairway

Rory has a $2 million lead on the PGA tour money list over Tiger, but he is also the leading money winner in the Race to Dubai at 2.8 milllion euros (only a .5 million euro lead over Rose).

I was shocked to see this, I didn't know that was the case.  Rory has played only 4 straight Euro Tour events (in addition to WGCs and Majors, which also count).

On consistency....

In 18 events, Tiger has had six finishes this year outside the top-25:  2 MCs (Quail Hollow, Greenbriar), 2 T-40s (Masters, Players), a T38 (Barclays), and a WD.

In 15 events, Rory has had 5 finishes outside the top-25:  3 MCs (Players, Memorial, US Open), T-40 (Masters), and T-60 (Open Champ).

That's not terribly different.  Rory has 9 top-10s to Tiger's 8 (11 vs. 9 if you add in Rory's and Tiger's Euro tour results).

In the Majors, it appears that Tiger (T40, T21, T3, T11) has performed more consistently, but Rory (T40, MC, T60, W) got a Win.

I see no clear leader in the "consistency" column this year.  I see Rory winning more overall, and winning when it counts (Major, playoffs).  Rory has had a better year by all accounts, and I see no reason why that might change next year.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

I voted Tiger only because Rory plays more non-PGA tournaments.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I said Rory, because I believe he will play more, and he is still at the point in his career where playing well in regular events matters.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Originally Posted by jshots

If Rory gets a new hair style then it will be him.

Hahah, agreed! He looks like he needs to ride the short bus.

2013 Nike VR_S Covert Performance Driver

2013 Nike VR_S Covert Perfomance 15° 3W

18° Burner 1.0 Superlaunch Rescue Hybrid

:mizuno: 4-PW MP-69 Irons

50°, 54° & 58° ATV wedges

Classic Collection #1 Black Putter

:bridgestone: Tour B330 Balls

2013 Tour v3 Laser Rangefinder w/ Jolt Technology

You don't know what pressure is until you play for five bucks with only two bucks in your pocket. -Lee Trevino

• 3 months later...

I was too late to vote, which might be a good thing since I think I changed my mind twice while scrolling through everyone's answers. My first instinct was to say Tiger because of how consistently he is near the top even when not winning when he's the "Good Tiger," which I think we'll see more of this year. But the same argument certainly could be made for Rory. And Rory likely will play a few more tournaments, although he does have a higher number of European stops than Tiger. It sure would be good for the game to see them both pick up several wins this year.

I'm going with Rory.

Tiger is getting old and has a boatload of psychological baggage that he carries with him everyday - trying to stay in touch with his kids - deal with the pressure of his legacy, etc...

I admit it will be interesting to see where Rory improves this season.

Titleist 910D2 10.5* Stiff / Taylormade 3 Wood - Superfast 2.0 15*  3 Superfast 2.0 Rescue 18* Stiff Shafts

I will pick Tiger but it has more to do with who I want to see have a better year than who I think will have a better year. Rory is on a roll but switching all of his clubs and ball is a big step and may take some time to adjust.

Rory has a long way to go before he comes close to Tiger and his records and it is worth noting that Tiger did a lot more for golf than just win tournaments. Tiger put golf on the map in front of unprecedented audiences. People who had never played or watched golf in their life would tune in to see Tiger. Tiger's impact on the game cannot be overstated.

Note: This thread is 3803 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!