IGNORED

Taking a club out of the bag for the gap wedge

hunterseymour
Note: This thread is 4215 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

For my golf lesson today my instructor proved a pretty good point when I couldn't hit the green 100 yards away. This was because I had an 8 degree difference in my wedges. So obviously a 52 degree gap wedge is almost necessary in my bag. But now I'm facing the problem, which club do I take out of my bag? I'm debating between my 60 degree wedge, my 3 hybrid, or my 5 wood. I'm kind of leaning towards tossing the 5 wood but am looking for some input.

Just faced this myself after buying a GW. For me it was getting rid of the 19* hybrid. Too similar to a 3w in distance and I mostly used it when facing a bad lie in deep grass because it cut through better than a 3w. I've had the GW about 2 weeks and I've used it a lot. More than filling a gap I've been chipping with it. But I toyed with tossing the 60* wedge. Easily the most difficult club for me to control.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For me, I kept the 5W and tossed the 3W.  5W was always much easier for me to hit and control, and is long enough.  I only play a fairway wood a couple times a round anyway, so it didn't really matter much in the end.

Driver: TaylorMade Burner 2.0 Superfast, 10.5*, Regular

5 Wood:  TaylorMade Burner 2.0 Superfast, 18*, Regular

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Rescue Mid 4, 22*

Irons:  Nike Slingshot OSS 4-PW

Wedges: Cleveland CG16 Black, 52*, 56*, 60*

Putter:  Nike OZ Black T130, SuperStroke Slim 55

Ball:  Bridgestone e6

Rangefinder:  Callaway Razr

How do you play the clubs? Which one is least comfortable for you to hit? Least consistent? Least versatile? Least likely to actually be used? Least replaceable during a round if you actually needed it? The simplest advice is to just pull the club that is [i]required[/i] the least often per round. For me, my 3-hybrid is my go-to club on a lot of holes because it's the longest club I'll use off the fairway. My 58* wedge is nice to have, but I only pull it a couple times per round and I can make do with my 52* laid open 80% of the time anyway. I might only have 1 shot per round that I actually [i]needed[/i] it for. I really like having it, but it's probably the club that would go if I needed one to.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Well the reason I'm thinking about getting rid of my 5 wood is because I hit my 3 hybrid particularly well and feel like I don't hit it much shorter than my 5 wood. I may have needed to use my 5 wood a total of 5-6 times so far. I just don't want to regret getting rid of it after I get the gap wedge.

i had the same issue, and i dumped my 5w.  my 3-hybrid is more versatile than my 5w, and i use my 3w more than the 5w.

In my Grom Stand bag:

Driver: Ping G20, 8.5 Tour Stiff
Wood/Hybrid: G20 3W, Raylor 19*, 22*
Irons: R9 5I - SW, TM CGB LW

Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi-Mid

Favorites: Old Ranch (Seal Beach), Ike/Babe (Industry Hills), Skylinks (Long Beach), Desert Willow (Palm Desert)

I was in a similar situation up to last year. I only had a 60* and a 56*. I'd hit my 60* about 80 yards while my 56* is about 100 yards. So the difference between my 48* P wedge and 56* sand was about 30yards and I always said I needed a gap wedge. Earlier this year I got a 52* Cleveland cg-16 gap wedge. Well, I've played a bunch of golf this year and somehow I've only used it on the course maybe 5 times.

But in the OP's case, I would toss the 5 wood and keep the hybrid. To me, 5 woods are a bit of an unnecessary club.

I would toss the 5w.  I don't even carry a 3w or 5w (always had problems with them) but I hit alot with my super hybrid and use my gap wedge all the time.

In my bag:

Driver: Covert Performance
Super Hybrid : :nike: 2H - 17* Covert Performance

Irons: :nike:Covert 4I - PW

Wedges: :nike:X3X Wedges (52*, 56*, 60*)

Putter: Method Core 1i

Ball: :nike:One RZN

Upgrading Always.

It sounds like you aren't in love with your 5w or anything, and hit it similar distance to your 3h, so the obvious answer seems to be to drop the 5w.  Personally I absolutely love my 60˚, so I'd never recommend dropping that.

One other option might be the 3i?  I only hit my 2/3h (19˚) 5-10 yards further than my 3i (20˚), and only maybe 10 yards less than my old 5w.  Though I could probably find a 5w I hit maybe 15+ yards farther.  Anyway, the point is that I hit my 3h much better than my 3i, so though I only took the 5w out of the bag I rarely use my 3i.  Unless I'm hot with the irons that day, I'd rather choke up and hit an easy 3h instead of a 3i if I'm at 3i distance.  Just something to think about if you hit your 5w a ton better than your 3i and you can hit the 3h 3i distance if you want.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well the reason I'm thinking about getting rid of my 5 wood is because I hit my 3 hybrid particularly well and feel like I don't hit it much shorter than my 5 wood. I may have needed to use my 5 wood a total of 5-6 times so far. I just don't want to regret getting rid of it after I get the gap wedge.

Just leave it at home for the first couple casual rounds. Or do you literally have to get rid of it (ie, sell it to afford the gap wedge)?

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Originally Posted by hunterseymour

For my golf lesson today my instructor proved a pretty good point when I couldn't hit the green 100 yards away. This was because I had an 8 degree difference in my wedges. So obviously a 52 degree gap wedge is almost necessary in my bag. But now I'm facing the problem, which club do I take out of my bag? I'm debating between my 60 degree wedge, my 3 hybrid, or my 5 wood. I'm kind of leaning towards tossing the 5 wood but am looking for some input.

A modern 3Hybrid and 5wood are interchangeable clubs. Only you can decide which suits your game better.

The wedge game is critical to scoring!!

I carry 4:

P:48deg

G:51

S:56

L:60

Every one of my wedges gets used regularly/EVERY ROUND......these are my scoring/$$$ clubs.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Note: This thread is 4215 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!