IGNORED

My Swing (MattM)

MattM
Note: This thread is 1237 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Judging from the two slo-motion videos you posted, one thing I notice which I am sure encourages a hook is that your spine tilts dramatically away from the target at address.  Whether this is the cause of your problem, I have no idea. As for how much spine tilt is ok, I also have no idea. 

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Your hips should not turn around the right hip: they should turn around their center. Both hip sockets will orbit around the center. If your right hip is staying in place but your left hip is moving back, you're swaying. Less than most people, but still, a sway.

Hopefully this will be covered more by whoever analyzes my videos with evolvr, but do you know of any drills for the left hip?  I've been doing the right hip on the wall drill, but that only really helps me with the right hip....

• Administrator

Hopefully this will be covered more by whoever analyzes my videos with evolvr, but do you know of any drills for the left hip?  I've been doing the right hip on the wall drill, but that only really helps me with the right hip....

The right hip should move AWAY from the wall.

It's not like the hips can move too independently. When one moves properly, the other one tends to as well - the hip girdle isn't a very good joint. :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

The right hip should move AWAY from the wall.

It's not like the hips can move too independently. When one moves properly, the other one tends to as well - the hip girdle isn't a very good joint. :-)

So should I focus on making my right hip come fairly far off of the wall?  It does move slightly off the way but that feeling doesn't seem to work when I'm swinging a clubs so maybe I should exaggerate it more?

• 4 weeks later...

Below are two videos I posted onto my evolvr account yesterday.  I'm currently working on not letting my head go toward the ball and toward the target in my downswing...... I'm still moving some but it is less and it's allowed me to keep my drives in check for the most part.

• 4 weeks later...

So I've been getting data from my game golf that has been concerning me. I hit my strong three wood which I know is capable of high swingspeeds and long shots, but I'll be on the course and hit what I think is a long shot with it only to have game golf tell me it went only 210 yards.

Thinking I must have some sort of spin issue I scheduled time on the flightscope to make sure I know what's causing the problem.

Here are some numbers:

Strong 3 wood:               Swing Speed    Ball Speed   Spin   Carry   Total

1st swing ball front of stance (fade)

24 minutes ago, MattM said:

So I've been getting data from my game golf that has been concerning me. I hit my strong three wood which I know is capable of high swingspeeds and long shots, but I'll be on the course and hit what I think is a long shot with it only to have game golf tell me it went only 210 yards.

Thinking I must have some sort of spin issue I scheduled time on the flightscope to make sure I know what's causing the problem.

Here are some numbers:

Strong 3 wood:               Swing Speed    Ball Speed   Spin   Carry   Total

1st swing ball front of stance (fade)

I don't see any numbers in your post so I'll just ask. What was your smash factor?

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

So it replied too quickly, and I didn't edit in time.  This is what I was trying to post....

Here are some numbers:

Strong 3 wood:   Swing Speed    Ball Speed   Spin   Carry   Total

1 ball front fade                   95           137.5     4044B   195     220

2 ball front fade                   95           137.9     4485B   200     219

3 ball middle straight      102.3           148.4     3072B   220    252

4 ball middle straight      105             153.6      2400B   230    267

That clearly tells me that I should not be setting up with the ball more toward the front of my stance and trying to play a fade.  It takes off a ton of speed and adds way to much spin for me.  This happened with regular RBZ 3 wood as well.

I also looked at my driver which was exactly the same.  Playing a fade again really hurts my distances.

Driver:                Launch  SSpeed  Ball Speed  Spin  Carry  Total

left heel fade             6.6       99.6        144.5    2870   211      250

left heel straight        6.6     107.7        156.1    1679   231      284

left toe straight      11.3      106.2         154       1419   260      290

left toe straight      11.4     105.4          153       1419   258      275

It just tells me that If I want the distance from my long clubs I should play my woods from the middle of my stance and play it straight.   With the driver I should play the ball well forward to get at least a 10 degree launch angle and straight.  When I play a fade it doesn't have enough speed and puts too much spin on it to get the distance I want....

From 2012 to today your swing changed dramatically for the better.I would like to know when your right hand thumb and index finger positioning changed so much and why? You may or may not know Ben hogan called those two fingers the swing breakers.

mattswing.JPG

Note: I do not answer direct questions or points raised against my untested and unproven theories, have no history of teaching anyone, and post essentially the same nonsense in everyone's Member Swing threads.

I can't remember when that changed.  I just know that the trigger finger being where it is now allows me to have more leverage going into the ball.  I'm pretty sure I got that from a Hogan book...

Thanks for the complement too!  It's come a long way but there is still a long way to go....

tw.JPG

Note: I do not answer direct questions or points raised against my untested and unproven theories, have no history of teaching anyone, and post essentially the same nonsense in everyone's Member Swing threads.

If you look at the first video up until last year or so my index finger was not formed the way Hogan talks about.  I don't feel the thumb being in close to the index finger is as important.  He always wanted the trigger finger going down the club which is what I have been doing.  In my opinion that is the most important thing. 

Ok to each his own....recently you said you were having duck hook problems...did you have that with the grip from 2012?

I can't really compare the two because when I started playing I was slicing the ball horribly.  I had this grip before I started working on secondary axis tilt and it was fine.  Actually from my Evolvr lesson I found that were were points where I was moving away from the ball in my downswing which cause the path to go even further in to out.  Now that I am working on that I am not duckhooking the ball nearly as badly.

19 hours ago, MattM said:

So it replied too quickly, and I didn't edit in time.  This is what I was trying to post....

Here are some numbers:

Strong 3 wood:   Swing Speed    Ball Speed   Spin   Carry   Total

1 ball front fade                   95           137.5     4044B   195     220

2 ball front fade                   95           137.9     4485B   200     219

3 ball middle straight      102.3           148.4     3072B   220    252

4 ball middle straight      105             153.6      2400B   230    267

That clearly tells me that I should not be setting up with the ball more toward the front of my stance and trying to play a fade.  It takes off a ton of speed and adds way to much spin for me.  This happened with regular RBZ 3 wood as well.

I also looked at my driver which was exactly the same.  Playing a fade again really hurts my distances.

Driver:                Launch  SSpeed  Ball Speed  Spin  Carry  Total

left heel fade             6.6       99.6        144.5    2870   211      250

left heel straight        6.6     107.7        156.1    1679   231      284

left toe straight      11.3      106.2         154       1419   260      290

left toe straight      11.4     105.4          153       1419   258      275

It just tells me that If I want the distance from my long clubs I should play my woods from the middle of my stance and play it straight.   With the driver I should play the ball well forward to get at least a 10 degree launch angle and straight.  When I play a fade it doesn't have enough speed and puts too much spin on it to get the distance I want....

Playing the ball more back in the stance typically steepens the AoA resulting in increased spin. My guess is that it is this older issue you posted about cropping up again.

On 11/16/2015 at 0:02 AM, MattM said:

Below are two videos I posted onto my evolvr account yesterday.  I'm currently working on not letting my head go toward the ball and toward the target in my downswing...... I'm still moving some but it is less and it's allowed me to keep my drives in check for the most part.

I occasionally have this issue myself and it causes shots to balloon on me to.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

• 2 weeks later...

I think you misread that some.  I was playing the ball way forward in my stance off my left instep.  When I say that I moved it back I mean that I moved it more towards the center of my stance but still somewhat forward.

The numbers definitely bear out what the monitor told me.  I've hit this club about 10 times since with the ball more toward the center of my stance.  I am now averaging approximately 232 yards according to game golf.  I also hit one 260 from the deck on my last round!

• 4 years later...

Hey everyone!  I'm going to resurrect my old swing thread!  So I haven't posted in this thread forever.  Back when I started this thread I was doing Evolvr lessons, and those two things together really helped me improve my game quickly.  Problem was that my lessons had me working on too many things in a short period of time and kind of overwhelmed me with swing thoughts or just had me thinking about too many aspects.  I wound up stopping lessons, but still had all the vids AND still had this archived thread.

Well fast forward to this year and the COVID quarantine I got a net in the back yard to try to keep my swing through not being able to play or go to the range.  Problem is that with a net you don't know where the ball is going and as a result I was grooving a crazy duck hook swing!  I didn't find out until I could go back and play (which really sucked)!

Anyway, it took all summer and me coming back into this thread and reviewing my Evolvr videos to get my swing back to being halfway decent!  For some reason I started bending over way too far and losing my posture and throwing my hands to the ball.  After slowly reviewing all of my vids and helpful posts in here I went back to standing a little taller and popping my hip forward at address.  I'm back to focusing on a feeling of making my right hip go forward in the backswing (to not sway my hips) then to try to get my right elbow in front of my right pocket in my downswing.  My swing finally started feeling decent again, and I went back to hitting a nice draw with my irons!

Anyway, I wanted to post two vids of my swing after I "fixed" it from how bad it was at the beginning of the year.  Btw before people kill me on setting my hands first before starting my shoulder turn in my backswing..I know it looks bad, but I need that as a swing trigger just for me because I used to always pull my left arm across my body in my backswing.  I wish I would have taken vids of the horrible habits I got into in March to post (it was terrible)!  Anyway, I also wanted to thank everyone on this site for (even though you didn't know it) helping me get my swing back from how bad it was!

Face On:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI_7mQgI0GU&feature=youtu.be

DTL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npp54b0Dz9c&feature=youtu.be

Edited by MattM
DIdn't add vids correctly.

• Administrator

@MattM please embed videos. There are instructions on the How To page.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 1237 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!