IGNORED

Greg Norman: Woods is 'intimidated' by McIlroy

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4201 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Greg Norman recently weighted in on the "handing of the baton" to Rory from Tiger.  Norman thinks Tiger's bromance with Rory is a sign of insecurity.  I disagree, I think Tiger feels like he has a lot in common with Rory, especially the part about being golf phenoms and under the spotlight of the media.  I don't think Tiger is handing out any batons at this point in his career.

Quote:
“You’ve got to beat the guy you’re taking over from to feel that you’re the top guy, and Rory’s starting to do that now,” Norman said, according to the report.
Woods and McIlroy have been particularly chummy on the course in recent weeks. (They also are paired in the first round of this week’s Tour Championship .) Some believe that it is the start of a good-natured rivalry between the two, one that can last another five or 10 years. Norman, however, views it differently.
“What I’m seeing is that Tiger’s really intimidated by Rory,” Norman said, according to the report. “When have you ever seen him intimidated by another player? Never.
“But I think he knows his time is up and that’s normal; these things tend to go in 15-year cycles. Jack (Nicklaus) took it from Arnold (Palmer). I took it from Jack, Tiger from me, and now it looks like Rory’s taking it from Tiger.”
That’s not to say Woods, 36, is ready to evolve into the role of elder statesman and rarely challenge for golf’s biggest titles, Norman said.
“It takes 10,000 hours of hard work to get to the top and stay there – that’s 10 years of hitting a lot of golf balls – and it takes its toll on the body,” Norman said, according to the report. “By the time you get to your mid-30s, the repetitive motion of hitting a golf ball leads to all kinds of issues, and if you look at Tiger, you can see that’s true. He’s got Achilles problems, knee problems; the signs are all there of a decay that’s inevitable.”
  • Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm unabashedly in the "anyone but Tiger" camp, but I don't think Tiger Woods is intimidated by anyone!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Originally Posted by colin007

Yeah, i don't think he's intimidated, maybe impressed. I also think he's up for whatever Rory throws at him.

I think Tiger appreciates Rory's talent and confidence. The fact Rory has lived up to the advanced billing unlike so many of the other "young guns". Rory has a quick wit, speaks in a concise manner and seems to respect the history and integrity of the game which seems to make them ideal kindred spirits.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I think Norman is just upset because Tiger won't "bromance" with him.  He has repeated whined about Tiger not calling him.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I'm more amused that Greg Norman thinks he "took it" from Jack (Nicklaus).  He was one of many excellent players in that era - Nick Faldo, Curtis Strange, Ben Crenshaw, Scott Simpson, Cory Pavin, Payne Stewart, etc. etc. - but never dominated the way Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods have.  He was certainly iconic during that period but with 2 majors he needs to be careful that he doesn't strain a shoulder patting himself on the back.

• Upvote 2

Originally Posted by boogielicious

I think Norman is just upset because Tiger won't "bromance" with him.  He has repeated whined about Tiger not calling him.

That was exactly my thoughts as soon as I saw the thread title.

Originally Posted by stealthduffer

I'm more amused that Greg Norman thinks he "took it" from Jack (Nicklaus).  He was one of many excellent players in that era - Nick Faldo, Curtis Strange, Ben Crenshaw, Scott Simpson, Cory Pavin, Payne Stewart, etc. etc. - but never dominated the way Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods have.  He was certainly iconic during that period but with 2 majors he needs to be careful that he doesn't strain a shoulder patting himself on the back.

No kidding. lol.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Norman continues to use Tiger to get his own name in the press.  His career was nothing close to Tiger's, he's not friends with Tiger, so for him to speculate on who intimidates Tiger is meaningless.  The fact he thinks he took over from Jack is funny in itself, talk about delusional.

I agree with SM, I think Tiger is impressed with and appreciates Rory's play and the way he conducts himself on and off the course.

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

Other than Faldo, Norman was a much more successful golfer than the rest. Only Strange won as many majors but he never threatened to win the British Open or at Augusta. Stewart of course had his career cut short so we'll never know.

I think Tiger welcomes the challenge. He plays well with Rors.

The challenge makes the game interesting for him. Notice how his game backed off, after they weren't paired together recently?

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Norman hasn't gotten much press lately so lets jump on the coat tails of the big dogs. I think Rory has been playing splendid.....to use an english phrase but this one year of dominance. Not that I disbelieve his capabilities but not too long ago Martin Kaymer was the new "kick everyone's ass" guy that was taking the reigns. Let Rory string another year or two together and we'll talk.

I think Tiger likes Rory because Rory is a likeable guy and has stardom in common.They probably have fun. I really do not think men fear each other. We have too big of egos.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

I think one can safely say that Norman won't be on Tiger's Christmas Card List this winter ... or any winter.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I'm not exactly a Greg Norman fan, and I definitely don't agree with him on this issue. Regarding the whole taking over from Jack thing though, wasn't Norman #1 for 300+ weeks? I know he doesn't have the PGA tour wins Tiger or Jack had, or the Major wins, but doesn't the #1 run along with 90 professional wins (20 PGA tour, 14 Euro, lots of "other") put him in a category with a select number of individuals? I could understand the thinking I guess.

Originally Posted by Dave H

I'm not exactly a Greg Norman fan, and I definitely don't agree with him on this issue. Regarding the whole taking over from Jack thing though, wasn't Norman #1 for 300+ weeks? I know he doesn't have the PGA tour wins Tiger or Jack had, or the Major wins, but doesn't the #1 run along with 90 professional wins (20 PGA tour, 14 Euro, lots of "other") put him in a category with a select number of individuals? I could understand the thinking I guess.

I'm not refuting Norman was a great player, but to say he took over from Nicklaus is like saying Nicklaus took over from Ben Hogan.

If there was a player who "took over" from Nicklaus, it was Tom Watson or Seve Ballesteros . . . then came Norman.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

+1. Definitely agree with this sentiment. Mind you, Norman might know something about what intimidation body language might look like given his performance in his Masters implosion when in the company of Faldo.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

I always thought the guy who took over the Nicklaus was...Woods. Does GN have a book coming out?

Taylor Made R11S 9 Degree

Callaway X 3 Wood

Taylor Made 3 & 5 Rescue

Mizuno MP57 5-PW

Titleist Vokey 52, 60

Ping Scottsdale Anser

Note: This thread is 4201 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!