IGNORED

new irons or not ?

power aid
Note: This thread is 4203 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

if u have a set of irons , fitted , that u like , play well with , but are a few years old , have the moola to invest in some new ones would you go ahead and get em ? I'm just having a hard time deciding in gettin new mizunos . let's say i am worried I will not play with them well . shaft choice is really getting on my nerves .

Originally Posted by power aid

if u have a set of irons , fitted , that u like , play well with , but are a few years old , have the moola to invest in some new ones would you go ahead and get em ? I'm just having a hard time deciding in gettin new mizunos . let's say i am worried I will not play with them well . shaft choice is really getting on my nerves .

Mizuno has one of the best shaft fitting programs in the industry. You swing the demo club and use the data to try out appropriate shafts.

That said, don't waste your money on iron sets. It's around 1000$ for a shiny set of Mizunos, and unless you're selling the old set or making a big change, your handicap won't move much. Irons are workhorses, they don't wear out in just a couple years unless you play a whole lot. Consider spending the money on new wedges or a putter that fit you well, or on lessons, or laser rangefinder or a couple new long clubs if you need a new toy.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by power aid

Unless your present set does not fit you, wait 5 years for a new set after buying.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Yeah, go ahead and buy them. That way you'll see that impulsively buying golf clubs won't suddenly improve your game and you'll wind up wishing you bought something else that you realize you need, but won't have the money. You will have learned your lesson. :)

Seriously, though. I'd abbreviate the expense as suggested above on some worthy wedges and save the rest for something more worthwhile...

Driver: :adams: Speedline F11 9.5* loft 3 Wood: :adams: Speedline F12 15* Hybrid: :adams: Idea Super Hybrid 17* - Used in place of my 5 wood Hybrid: :adams: Idea A1 i-wood 21* Irons: :adams: Idea A1 5-PW Wedges: :adams: Watson 52*, 56*, 60* Wedges Putter: :tmade: Rossa Lambeau, Black

Yeah, go ahead and buy them. That way you'll see that impulsively buying golf clubs won't suddenly improve your game and you'll wind up wishing you bought something else that you realize you need, but won't have the money. You will have learned your lesson. :)

Nonsense. David's first rule of golf.... There's absolutely nothing wrong with your golf game that can't be cured by your checkbook! :-D

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Good advice above, save your money or buy something else golf related. Unless of course you have everything you need and the money is burning a hole in your pocket in which case screw it, buy the clubs. I bought myself a new set of Ping irons and I love them, worth the money. But then again my old set was seven or eight years old, they were not fitted to me like the Pings are, I bought them off the rack. Plus I'm in my sixties so my swing speed has gotten slower so the graphite shafts really help.

I would buy a new set if you're game improved. I had a fine set of clevelands, but were cavity backs. My game elevated to high single handicap, and i didn't want big, fat cavity any longer.

Bought the AP2's, they're awesome.

If you have the money, buy a new set! Like buying a new car!

power aid,

Welcome. I have seen your recent questions on prescription glasses and golf, and what shafts to get.

Since you're becoming a regular poster, you might include a "What's In My Bag" segment in either your Signature line, or in a List. That way, we will know the make and mix of the clubs you carry, and how you approach the game. Without knowing your equipment set-up... or your HDCP... or how long you have been playing... it's hard for us to give you useful advice.

Now, for your new irons question...

If you're fairly new to the game, or are returning after a layoff, keep your current irons if you hit them OK. As Mr. Desmond said, don't be tempted to get new clubs just because new ones look interesting.  If you try some new irons and you see they can help improve your game, you might buy them. But don't switch just because you've had clubs for awhile.

You might also consider Stewie' s advice: would new wedges help? If you've got an odd mix of wedges that don't work well, look to upgrade.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Sure, go buy the set and help revive the economy.

Seriously though, with your unknown handicap and unknown current club types, it's kind of difficult to offer an informed opinion. If your clubs are fitted and just a couple years old, I doubt your game would benefit that much from a new set of irons. In my opinion, if you don't have one already, your game would be better served buying a laser range finder as well as taking some lessons.

The best money I've ever spent on golf has been lessons by far. Learning a repeatable swing and how to strike down on the ball is knocking my handicap down month after month.

That said, I am attracted to new irons like a kid to a candy store and I'm doing everything in my power to not buy a set sitting in the club house right now that make my mouth water even though I have no need for them.

910 D2 10.5  910F 3w  910H 19*

712 AP1 4-GW  Vokey SM4 54* and 58*

Select Golo  E5

Originally Posted by David in FL

Nonsense. David's first rule of golf.... There's absolutely nothing wrong with your golf game that can't be cured by your checkbook!

As long as you use the checkbook to purchase lessons.

• Upvote 1

Butch

ok this is what I play with d - tm rbz 9.5 stock shaft stiff 5w -tm burner sf2.0. stock shaft reg 4h - tm rbz stock shaft reg 4i-gw. mizuno mx 25 sw - Cleveland cg14 56' lw - Cleveland cg14. 60' irons all have rifle 5.0 putter - rife actually I'd like to totally revamp all my clubs . fitted for everything . the irons is what's buggin me . if it pays moving to jpx825 pro? I have no idea what my handicap is . I play once a week min . so that means sometimes more . all I can give is an average and I would say its 80. I recently just got back into golf after about a 3 year layoff and it seems I didn't even miss a beat, maybe even playin a little better now . I have a laser rangefinder and couldn't do without , I'm terrible at yardages . don't have a lot of time to practice but I do hit the range . what buggin me on the mizuno 825 pro is the shaft selection . project x 5.0 or kbs tour reg , which would be most similar to rifle ? I really have to get to a Golfsmith or golf galaxcy as I just don't find my local store knowledgeable enough . thanks for the responses and help

lets add to this did a mizuno fitting and these are the number I got , have no idea what is what except for the ss or what the number mean or relate to 77-4-3-1-5 shaft recommendations dg r300 px 5.0 kbs tour reg did the kbs online fitting tool , ended up with kbs tour reg. then looking in a Golfsmith and golfworks catalog actually suggest to use a stiff , which is what ? all based on swing speed? kbs also list a reg+ , how do they come about the flexes? are they just trimmed differently ? would using mizuno fitting actually recommend a r+ if u fit into that ? what is soft-hard stepping ? I really think I'm gonna keep my heads and will then just want to change shafts in them instead of goin all out for new irons . heads not very used as I took a 3 year break . for those of u who did a mizuno fitting has the shaft choice been right on and u happy with results ? any respectable club makers, builders in Wisconsin thanks again

Been a about 3 years since I got the itch.....every few months, I go to my favorite range, get a couple of the newest, hottest six irons and match them against my current clubs.....large bucket, hit about 5 at a time, cycling through the clubs.....so far, always come back to my own set.....take your time.....unless you are just bored and want to spend some money....then get some clubs, keep both sets...

I'll concur with what others have said.  I could be the posterchild for someone who thinks the latest equipment is going to change their game.  Personally, I bought 3 new sets of irons, 4 new drivers, 5 putters, 6 golf bags, many training aids, and the list goes on because I thought it would help my game.  I never got better.  I took some lessons but frankly had no clue what they were teaching me and after looking back now wonder if they were teaching me anything.  I really feel like a big fool now, but it was part of the process I guess.

FINALLY, I bought a package of lessons from a pro I heard a lot of good things about. Best money I ever spent.  He was the first to video tape my swing and compare it to good players.  That one session alone opened my eyes to a world of golf I did not know existed.  I finally realized how bad my swing was.  I am never going to play on the tour, but I have shaved 20 strokes off my game and still working.  You cannot play good golf without good mechanics.  Its that simple.  Heck, I play with a few guys who have 10+ year old equipment/generic brands who whip me up and down the course because they have solid mechanics.

To my point.  If you have a good game, have the money, and just like buying new equipment go for it.  I have a buddy who is like that.  He is a good player and has more money than what he knows what to do with and just likes having the latest and greatest.  However, the majority of us need to spend most of our money on quality lessons and get fitted for a nice set of clubs that we can play with for at least 5 years.  Spend you money on rangefinders and the such if it helps your course management skills, but the difference in equipment now compared to just a few years ago is not that big of a difference.

Originally Posted by Divotmaker77

You cannot play good golf without good mechanics.  Its that simple.  Heck, I play with a few guys who have 10+ year old equipment/generic brands who whip me up and down the course because they have solid mechanics.

Very true.  One of my golfing buddies is a low single digit player - he is using some old Macgregor irons - probably from the mid-90's.  They were the same clubs he used in high school and they're totally stock (ie - not fitted) and have the original grips.   He typically plays a Noodle ball but he hits it a mile in the air and it falls straight down on the green and stays there.

That being said, though, my Callaway Big Bertha SGI irons did definitely make a difference for me when I first started playing.  SO I would say - especially if you're a high handicapper - that new irons (SGI irons) could help . .but you are definitely correct in that proper mechanics trumps all.

One of my Great Uncles said, "You don't need expensive golf clubs to play well." Why? Because top of the line golf clubs in the hands of the normal golfer is no different than 8 year old golf clubs. Or, taken more properly, expensive golf clubs won't make you a better golfer than less expensive clubs.....

It applies to all clubs. Get two golfers together who are equal in skill. One buys a 300 dollar driver, the other got a 3 generations old Driver for 100 bucks.

Both of them drive the ball with generally equal average drives. But one of them wasted 200 dollars.

Would you pay 30 bucks for the exact same meal as another guy spent 10 bucks on?

You can say "These feel better" all you want, but there are past generation clubs all over the place that cost less than the latest and greatest. You seem to want to buy, so maybe not spend so much money thinking it will make improvements with your game.

It wont.

Driver: :adams: Speedline F11 9.5* loft 3 Wood: :adams: Speedline F12 15* Hybrid: :adams: Idea Super Hybrid 17* - Used in place of my 5 wood Hybrid: :adams: Idea A1 i-wood 21* Irons: :adams: Idea A1 5-PW Wedges: :adams: Watson 52*, 56*, 60* Wedges Putter: :tmade: Rossa Lambeau, Black

Get lessons and get fit.  I've had my Ping Eye 2's  since 1986 so I'm not a good one for impulse buying.  My clubs are not really fit for me..I hit off a lie board and picked out the ones that gave me the correct lie for my swing.  That being said, they are also an inch too long.  I spin the ball waaay too much, so now with the modern ball and old clubs, the combo doesn't really work in my favor.  I'd be more accurate from 200 with a 6 iron than my current 4 iron that I have to hit because of the spin... but I'm also poor.

I';ve been looking around this year and went over to Frank at Ace of Clubs who just shook his head at what I'm using.  I'm trying to save up by selling this and that.  probably another couple years and I'll have enough money.  If I wasn't getting fit, I wouldn't even bother.  Like others have said, I might not see much improvement.  If I'm going to spend a grand, I'd spend another hundred and get the peace of mind of a good fitting.

Note: This thread is 4203 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!