IGNORED

2012 Ryder Cup Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4188 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Fact Man

Jim Furyk - out and out the worst Ryder cup player in history. Along with much of the US team, he has no clutch whatsoever. And Tiger, watching him now it's hard to believe he used to be any good. Purely and simply a frontrunner, he struggles when the pressure is on and it's close.

Overall, an American performance as ugly as Zac Johnson's nose.

overreact much?  They lost. Its golf where you cant impose your will on your opponent.  It happens.  People criticizing tiger for playing bad are delusional.  He had 7 birdies saturday afternoon and they lost to a guy who made 8 birdies and an eagle on his own ball.   You can't do anything about that.

The only things I think anyone can be pissed off about are Phil and Keegan sitting, and Furyk/Striker playing bad.  I swear Furyk seems to hit the worst shots of his year at the Ryder Cup.

That was an amazing last hour or two.  I feel lousy for Stricker and Furyk as they may never get the chance to play in the Ryder Cup again.  They would almost have to play their way on to have a chance in the future - in hindsight they were questionable Captain picks.

I feel like I have never seen Justin Rose make clutch putts on the Tour so what he did on 17 and 18 is all the more impressive.  Great job by him and Poulter and Sergio getting it done on those last couple of holes.  In the end, the 17th hole absolutely killed the American team-- Furyk and Stricker played it very poorly (as did Duffner).  Phil played a great shot there but what a deuce by Rose.  Give the Euros credit -- they played out of their minds down the stretch and the Americans couldn't withstand it.

Originally Posted by forza utreg

btw... If i was a betting man and had money on a draw... I would ve jumped on a plain immediately to go after Tiger... What the hell was that all about!!??

I actually had a bet at 12/1 on a tie.  it was only $20 but still pissed that Tiger missed a two freakin footer.  Although like I said, who doesn't just concede the hole when both players are 2 feet out on a meaningless hole?

I actually had a bet at 12/1 on a tie.  it was only $20 but still pissed that Tiger missed a two freakin footer.  Although like I said, who doesn't just concede the hole when both players are 2 feet out on a meaningless hole?

People with bets on a Euro win wouldn't have seen it as meaningless. Nor would anyone who prefers a win to a tie.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by eich41

Anthony Kim is going to be the subject of "What ever happened to..." stories. Perhaps even a future 30 for 30 documentary.  I'm not even sure that he has a tour card for next year.

haha yeah probs

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

Tiger Woods - a great example of the sorry state of the USA. Individualistic, self-obsessed, feels hard done by, and like most tournaments where he's not leading coming into day four - the inability to dig deep and show some heart.

Originally Posted by mazzamouth

How is this on DLIII he didnt hit any shots..

Are you kidding?
So your point is the captain has no effect at all?  Why do they get captain’s picks? Why do they get to set the lineups? Why do they bother having a captain?
Why do baseball teams have managers and basketball teams have coaches?
Why does Urban Meyer get $5 million a year to coach OSU? He never runs the ball or throws the passes.

Driver: Ping K15 10°, Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 63g Stiff
Fairway 4-wood: TaylorMade RocketBallz Tour TP 17.5°, Matrix Ozik TP7HD S shaft

Hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 3H-4H, Aldila DVS Stiff
Irons: MIURA PP-9003, Dynamic Gold Superlite S300, Sand Wedge: Scratch 8620 56°
Putter: Nike Method Concept Belly 44"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B330-S

Originally Posted by Fact Man

Tiger Woods - a great example of the sorry state of the USA. Individualistic, self-obsessed, feels hard done by, and like most tournaments where he's not leading coming into day four - the inability to dig deep and show some heart.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion (especially on a forum) but that is simply not true.  Tiger is traditionally a grinder on Sunday even when he is not in contention.  He almost always moves up the leaderboard on Sunday so your statement is suspect at best.  He is struggling with his putter this year.  If you golf, you should understand.  He's human like the rest of us.  I am sorry but I don't think Stricker, Furyk et al are self-obsessed and individualistic.  If anything, I would say they wanted it too much and got beat by guys that knew they were playing as huge underdogs on Sunday.

The simple truth of this weekend is that the American team was outplayed and outcoached.

DL3 made some VERY poor choices for reasons we may never understand.

The American team wilted under the pressure save for Zach Johnson, Dustin Johnson and Dufner. Phil and Furyk did what they almost always have; crumbled. Nice guys finish last and these two are just too nice. Very little fire from them. That's why Bradley fit Mickelson so well; he MADE him play inspired. Once on his own, he failed; especially on those closing holes.

Go back and look at the look Rose gave Phil when Phil was giving him props for draining those putts on 16 & 17. Phil gave him thumbs up and Rose dead panned him, barely acknowledging his very presence.

I look at it like this -

Thru Saturday's results we were like a football team up 14 points halfway thru the 3rd quarter. In control of the game, but a lot more game to be played. The other team just outplayed us down the stretch & kicked a field goal with 0:00 to edge us.

Second-guessing is natural, but in the end, their players simply played better when it mattered.

Heck, the OSU guys who run don't get anything more than a couple tattoos for the millions they produce every Saturday. Seriously, I agree with your sentiment. DL3 could've set things differently. I wonder if he really coached not to lose rather than to win it. Life goes on. We go to work tomorrow. The country still has problems. England is looking at the orincess's pictures. Spain is still bankrupt... [quote name="JerseyThursday" url="/t/62332/2012-ryder-cup-discussion-thread/486#post_773197"]Why does Urban Meyer get $5 million a year to coach OSU? He never runs the ball or throws the passes. [/quote]

Personally I just wonder how the outcome would have been had it not been for these 3 factors : . 1) Colsaerts performance on day 1 fourball. 2) Donald's tee shot on 17th day 2 fourball. 3) Strickers unexplainable chip on 17th today when he maybe could have putt.... Ray

Originally Posted by JerseyThursday

Are you kidding?

So your point is the captain has no effect at all?  Why do they get captain’s picks? Why do they get to set the lineups? Why do they bother having a captain?

Why does Urban Meyer get $5 million a year to coach OSU? He never runs the ball or throws the passes.

Seriously, he decides 4 players that are on the team (two of which played downright awful all weekend).  He also determines what the matchups are and who is playing in the first 16 matches.  He continued to put a poorly performing pair out there (Stricker/Woods), and sat the most dominant pair of the whole weekend on Saturday afternoon.  Maybe it wouldn't have mattered, but IMO it certainly didn't give us the best chance to win.  If Phil Jackson had benched Michael Jordan in the NBA Finals, in favor of Jo Jo English would it have been Jo Jo's fault or Phil Jacksons?  The coach/captains job is to pick the players, matchups, and pairings that give their team the best possible chance to win.  Benching a pair that demolished every team they played all weekend in favor of a pair who didn't win a single match doesn't accomplish that goal IMO.

Originally Posted by JerseyThursday

Are you kidding?

Yep it is not his fault.. ask 98% of pro ball players and they say why blame the manager?... Yea maybe he didnt pick some of the best people... but he is not out there missing 2 foot putts...LOL

If the US wins, none of you are arguing....LOL

Tools in the Ogio bag.
Driver      Callaway
 Razr Fit Xtreme 8.5* Extra Stiff

3 wood   Callaway X hot Stiff flex

Hybrid     Ping I20 3H 20* & 4H 23*
Irons       Ping  I20 5-PW

Wedges  Ping Tour Gorge 52 & 56 Callaway Mack daddy 60*

Putter     Scotty Cameron Monterey

Balls      Bridgestone B-330

Shoes          Skycaddie SGX

Originally Posted by mazzamouth

... but he is not out there missing 2 foot putts...LOL

So another thing to go into the "make it up as you go along" category.

It wasn't a 2 foot putt.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Note: This thread is 4188 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!