IGNORED

2012 Ryder Cup Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4214 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by mazzamouth

Yep it is not his fault.. ask 98% of pro ball players and they say why blame the manager?... Yea maybe he didnt pick some of the best people... but he is not out there missing 2 foot putts...LOL

If the US wins, none of you are arguing....LOL

Actually even if the US had pulled this out, I still would be saying the same thing.  He shouldn't have set his best pair in favor of his worst.  I would also still be questioning the Stricker/Furyk picks as they played like crap all weekend, and Furyk has a poor Ryder Cup track record.  Of course had we won, this would all be followed by an "At least we still won"

Say what you want about DLIII.. it is still the players that have to go out and perform, plain and simple.

Furyk, stricker, and Tiger did nothing.....

Tools in the Ogio bag.
Driver      Callaway
 Razr Fit Xtreme 8.5* Extra Stiff

3 wood   Callaway X hot Stiff flex

Hybrid     Ping I20 3H 20* & 4H 23*
Irons       Ping  I20 5-PW

Wedges  Ping Tour Gorge 52 & 56 Callaway Mack daddy 60*

Putter     Scotty Cameron Monterey

Balls      Bridgestone B-330

Shoes          Skycaddie SGX

Say what you want about DLIII.. it is still the players that have to go out and perform, plain and simple.

Furyk, stricker, and Tiger did nothing.....

And it would have been Jo Jo English's fault if the Bulls lost in the NBA finals because Phil Jackson benched Michael Jordan?

I agree that Stricker, Furyk, and Woods all did nothing, but it wasn't mandatory that these guys played in 4 matches over the weekend.  That was DLIII's decision and that's my point.  Meanwhile the unstoppable pair of Mickelson and Bradley sat out Saturday afternoon, and Dustin Johnson (who didn't lose) only played in 3 matches.

Originally Posted by eich41

Quote:

Yep it is not his fault.. ask 98% of pro ball players and they say why blame the manager?... Yea maybe he didnt pick some of the best people... but he is not out there missing 2 foot putts...LOL

If the US wins, none of you are arguing....LOL

Actually even if the US had pulled this out, I still would be saying the same thing.  He shouldn't have set his best pair in favor of his worst.  I would also still be questioning the Stricker/Furyk picks as they played like crap all weekend, and Furyk has a poor Ryder Cup track record.  Of course had we won, this would all be followed by an "At least we still won"

His "best pair" needed to save something for Sunday. Keegan was on fumes and Phil is a 40plus year old with arthritis who got through 3 matches feeding on Keegan's enthusiasm.  I wish Phil hadn't given Rosey props for his birdie late in their match because it wasn't over, but that has nothing to do with nationalism - I'm a Canadian.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

His "best pair" needed to save something for Sunday. Keegan was on fumes and Phil is a 40plus year old with arthritis who got through 3 matches feeding on Keegan's enthusiasm.  I wish Phil hadn't given Rosey props for his birdie late in their match because it wasn't over, but that has nothing to do with nationalism - I'm a Canadian.

In the press conference, Mickelson spoke up and said he told Love that he would be too spent to play that afternoon. Something to the effect "we have poured all of our emotion into this match and will not have anything left" or some such BS after the 10th hole, so he told him to "not play them". Who says something like that in the heat of competition, if you have the killer instinct? What a loser attitude.

The turning point of the whole deal IMO was when Rose made that putt on 17. When that happened, I had a pretty bad feeling for what would happen next. Of course, Mickelson claps and puts thumbs up and walks to the 18th with that stupid plastic grin on his face.

• Upvote 1

Well I'm certainly not the first nor last to say that golf, especially pro tour golf is one great big good ole boys club...and Captain Love chose Striker and Furyk and they delivered filet of NADA...

in addition , the good captain SAT his hottest tandem on Saturday afternoon -namely Bradley and Mickelson who tore it up and electrified the "13th man" crowd....Davis' decision not only likely cost the US a "nail-in -the -coffin " point on Saturday  (5 up = adios Euros!) it threw ice water on a white hot US team's mojo....to add insult to injury both Keegan and Phil LOST on Sunday. so a net MINUS THREE POINTS , eh?

Davis Love  deserves the blame for both his poor Captain's picks and the inexcusable sitting of the best tandem on the course....

otherwise it's fair to say that the lion's share of the US team played like garbage on Sunday...and the real blame belongs to those inside the ropes for failing to perform.

Still would have done Keegan and Tiger yesterday or Bubba an Tiger.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

Originally Posted by atb5079

Still would have done Keegan and Tiger yesterday or Bubba an Tiger.

What makes you think Bubba and Tiger or Keegan and Tiger would be good pairings? I can picture Tiger telling Keegan to shut the H up about half way through. Can you picture Tiger's reaction to Bubba amping up the crowd on the first tee? That would be awkward.

• Upvote 1

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I would have just sat Tiger.  He showed me nothing all weekend, other than what we already knew and that's that there is now 15-20 guys that have game that's just as good as Tiger.  He lost his three matches on Friday and Saturday, and only managed a half point against the second weakest player on the European team.

What makes you think Bubba and Tiger or Keegan and Tiger would be good pairings? I can picture Tiger telling Keegan to shut the H up about half way through. Can you picture Tiger's reaction to Bubba amping up the crowd on the first tee? That would be awkward.

It seemed like DL3 could have paired Tiger with a musk ox and the matches would have turned out better.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Chris E

In the press conference, Mickelson spoke up and said he told Love that he would be too spent to play that afternoon. Something to the effect "we have poured all of our emotion into this match and will not have anything left" or some such BS after the 10th hole, so he told him to "not play them". Who says something like that in the heat of competition, if you have the killer instinct? What a loser attitude.

The turning point of the whole deal IMO was when Rose made that putt on 17. When that happened, I had a pretty bad feeling for what would happen next. Of course, Mickelson claps and puts thumbs up and walks to the 18th with that stupid plastic grin on his face.

It's obvious you dislike Phil which is fine but...

He's 42 years old with arthritis resting him was probably a good idea especially if he says he is tired. Bradley on the other hand probably could have played but Davis said his plan was to rest everyone with singles in mind.

Really your turning point was Rose making the birdie on 17 because for me losing the first 3 matches set the tone for the day. Rose made a nice birdie at 17 was Mickelson supposed to give him the finger and walk to the next tee? It was a great putt and Mickelson didn't mope about it because it's one those things you can only admire getting down about it isn't going to help at that point.

The loss falls on everyone from Tiger to DL3 the US overall didn't perform today it wasn't one mistake.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

The bottom line is Love was betting on not losing instead of stepping on his opponents throat and winning. In baseball you don't bench your best pitcher in the middle of a no hitter. Sure, he might give up a hit or even a run in the 9th but you still get a win. While I realize that Phil wanted to get benched and needed rest, Keegan clearly said he would go all day. Why not put him with Tiger who was red hot on the back nines? Saturday easily could have been an 11-5 outcome and ultimately altered the final outcome.

David

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Tiger plays better with people he doesnt like. He likes to prove he is better.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

Note: This thread is 4214 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!