IGNORED

2012 Ryder Cup Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4216 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I wasn't happy with the Stricker and Furyk as picks.

Stricker had never won a Ryder Cup match. He's just best friends with Tiger. Such a poor reason to pick someone. They don't play well together (back to back ryder cup shut-outs)

And Furyk, maybe the worst Ryder Cup record in history. Why was he chosen!?? His recored is now 9-17-4.... not good. And he clearly needs some xanax when playing.

US Open 2012, completely choked.

Collapsed with the lead 2 weeks ago as well.

I think Bo Van Pelt is a player, would have loved to see him compete.

Originally Posted by Joakim

The problem was not Phil playing the last match on Sat., he wanted to sit so sit him. He's old and has trouble finishing. The problem with Phil is he demanded from DL3 to sit Keegan as well. Keegan is young and on a tremendous roll. Did you see how unhappy he was next to Phil when they were getting interviewed. The problem with Phil is the most SELF SERVING individual on tour.

He didn't want anyone sharing the emotion and victory Keegan would have brought to the afternoon match.

Look what happened to Keegan the next day after he sat In Ryder cup history has anyone sat after going 3-0?? DL3 is to blame because he allowed his player to manage. Congrats Phil, You gave up on Saturday and on the 15th on Sunday. That is why we lost and continue to lose. Arnold Palmer said after the match, you can get all the rest you want on monday.

Do you have a source?  I haven't heard anybody mention this yet so I am skeptical.  And since you refer to Mickelson as the "most self serving individual on tour" I am even more skeptical of your motives.  (Sounds like you have a bit of an unfounded bias here)

I'm pretty sure you are assuming all of the above ... but just to humor you, if it's true, and you can give me a source for this info, then I would have to agree with you that it's pretty lame.

I suspect not though.  If it was public knowledge that a player "demanded" of the captain that the hottest player on the team be rested against the wishes of the captain and said player, then THAT is what everybody, including all on this thread - not just you - would be talking about the next day.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by k-troop

Where to start with this nonsense?

--Is there any evidence that Phil demanded that Keegan sit on Saturday?  Where did that even come from?

--Phil the most self serving guy on tour, who couldn't stand another player winning a match?  Do you really believe this?

--What happened to Keegan on Sunday is he ran into Rory, who went 5-under (3rd best round of the day) without hitting a warm-up shot.

--And, again, where do you get Phil giving up on Sunday?  He parred the last 3 holes, which is far more than you can say for the majority of the US squad.

Actually he didn't par last 3 holes. His 2nd on 18th sailed over the green, talk about choke. He chipped up and had a 10 footer for par if Rose didn't sink his putt.

I believe Phil said in the post match presser, that he told DL3 that both he and Bradley needed to sit Sat. afternoon because they poured all their emotion into Sat. morning match. Love should have told him that he has all winter to rest starting Monday.

Originally Posted by Vermeer

Tell Tom Kite that !

Surely you can understand the difference between keeping the Cup and winning it ? Tiger can't but Kite can ! Retaining it is effectively a draw.

Boy, those Euros got pretty excited when Kaymer's putt guaranteed a draw.

Bill M

The problem was not Phil playing the last match on Sat., he wanted to sit so sit him. He's old and has trouble finishing. The problem with Phil is he demanded from DL3 to sit Keegan as well. Keegan is young and on a tremendous roll. Did you see how unhappy he was next to Phil when they were getting interviewed. The problem with Phil is the most SELF SERVING individual on tour.

He didn't want anyone sharing the emotion and victory Keegan would have brought to the afternoon match.

Look what happened to Keegan the next day after he sat In Ryder cup history has anyone sat after going 3-0?? DL3 is to blame because he allowed his player to manage. Congrats Phil, You gave up on Saturday and on the 15th on Sunday. That is why we lost and continue to lose. Arnold Palmer said after the match, you can get all the rest you want on monday.

This. From now on, the Captain should not be a player who is still active on the PGA Tour. He should be retired or playing on the Senior Tour. It's hard to tell your peers what to do in a competitive situation.

• Upvote 1

Bill M

Quote:

I believe Phil said in the post match presser, that he told DL3 that both he and Bradley needed to sit Sat. afternoon because they poured all their emotion into Sat. morning match. Love should have told him that he has all winter to rest starting Monday.

Exactly.

Plenty of time to rest in the grave. There was a quote from Ken Venturi when someone who lost a major tournament asked him how long it would take to forget that loss. Venturi replied something along the lines of 'never. You'll lie awake, years from now wondering about it'.

This loss will cause plenty of American players and DL3 some sleepness nights.

Originally Posted by k-troop

Where to start with this nonsense?

--Is there any evidence that Phil demanded that Keegan sit on Saturday?  Where did that even come from?

--Phil the most self serving guy on tour, who couldn't stand another player winning a match?  Do you really believe this?

--What happened to Keegan on Sunday is he ran into Rory, who went 5-under (3rd best round of the day) without hitting a warm-up shot.

--And, again, where do you get Phil giving up on Sunday?  He parred the last 3 holes, which is far more than you can say for the majority of the US squad.

1) It was on TV interview after they won. Also Phil admitted it in post game USA interview.

2) Quote from DL3 on Phil and Keegan. "Phil is a smart guy, he always picks good partners . He buddied up to Tiger in 2004 @ Oakland hills and to the best of my recolection Phil played badly and they lost.

3) True but in golf emotion is huge and Keegan didn't have the same fire. In sports momentum is huge and you never pull a guy pitching a no hitter. True, It very may have out come may have been the same.

4) He didn't par the 18th. By applauding on the17th it appeared he was setting up his excuse for what he knew was happening. As a fan.. after that he gave me the impression the match was over. Maybe I should rephrase that, Phil looked tired and ready to go home. He is fading more at the end of tournements over the last few years.

I will admit my respect for him fell after 2004 Ryder and my comments may be somewhat biased. Most important you just don't sit Keegan.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Do you have a source?  I haven't heard anybody mention this yet so I am skeptical.  And since you refer to Mickelson as the "most self serving individual on tour" I am even more skeptical of your motives.  (Sounds like you have a bit of an unfounded bias here)

I'm pretty sure you are assuming all of the above ... but just to humor you, if it's true, and you can give me a source for this info, then I would have to agree with you that it's pretty lame.

I suspect not though.  If it was public knowledge that a player "demanded" of the captain that the hottest player on the team be rested against the wishes of the captain and said player, then THAT is what everybody, including all on this thread - not just you - would be talking about the next day.

DL3 admitted it, that he came up to him on tenth tee and Phil ran over to him and said he told Keegan we are going to put everything into this round because we were not going to play the PM.DL3 said he had seen nothing like it. I was watching TV and internet Ryder live feed and golf channel. It was advertised GC will replay the 1st and final match. Watch GC replay of interviews.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

CLICK THIS. http://www.golfchannel.com/media/live-from-2012-sunday-feature-4/

CLICK THIS. http://www.golfchannel.com/media/live-from-2012-sunday-feature-4/

Presser ... what a horrible way to end the day.

In my bag ... 12 year old Balvenie DoubleWood

Furyk: Have you ever spent time in an infantry unit, son?
No sir.
Furyk: Ever served in a forward area?
No sir.
Furyk: Ever put your life in another man's hands, ask him to put his life in yours?
No sir.
Furyk: We follow orders, son. We follow orders or people die. It's that simple. Are we clear?
Yes sir.
Furyk: Are we clear?
Crystal.

Mickelson is an absolute jerk.

Not quite sure why he and Keegan couldn't have given "everything" for two rounds instead of just one. Why not say we will give everything "today"?

Pathetic excuse and a whole lot of pretentious BS.

And........didn't Duffner look like a spoilt brat during the closing ceremony?

It's one thing to be shattered/disappointed/whatever - but he came across as a total POS. Lots of bad sportsamnship there on display.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Mahan was the only  American player with a winning Ryder cup    record going in and under consideration. He is a great match player, witness his record in the Presidents cup of last year... 4-1 I believe. Fowler is a tough match play guy too. Mahan played fine in the tour champsionship which Brandt won so his form was coming back and he was up for vindication and had been in the Ryder Pressure cooker successfully in the past...but he wasnt one of DL3's NC boys. We need a leader nor a ping pong feel good captain like DL3 was... We need someone calling the shots and inspiring the players not passive like DL3 is. PIcking Stricker for Tiger and his once great putting when he was out of form was a huge mistake....and its on DL3. Furyk wasnt much better and was picked for the same reason... a friend of the captain not based upon his past two years results....Bo Van Pelt would have been a better pick too than these two. DJ was a great pick and I take no issue with Brandt despite his under achievement..... with Furyk as a partner. We need more passion and hunger match players...I contend Hunter is just that. All we needed to win assuming Tiger would win his last match if it mattered....

Originally Posted by jimdandy

Furyk: Have you ever spent time in an infantry unit, son?

No sir.

Furyk: Ever served in a forward area?

No sir.

Furyk: Ever put your life in another man's hands, ask him to put his life in yours?

No sir.

Furyk: We follow orders, son. We follow orders or people die. It's that simple. Are we clear?

Yes sir.

Furyk: Are we clear?

Crystal.

DL3: Col. Jessup. DID YOU ORDER THE CODE RED?

Mickelson: You don't want the truth, you can't handle the truth.

DL3: Col. Jessup. DID YOU ORDER THE CODE RED?

Mickelson: Your God dam right I did.

You guys could slice this and dice this 7 ways to Sunday, and it won't matter.....ultimately the US team LOST, no they didn't choke that's utter BS, they lost the Ryder Cup to a superior European team on Singles Sunday.

You can talk about DL3's picks, his lineup, decision to sit PM and KB on the fourball all you want, but the reality is this. The Ryder Cup didn't end on Friday. Or Saturday.

Bradley/Watson/Snedeker/Simpson all on fire Friday and Saturday...woooohooo! Great ! But hey......you still got to do your job on Sunday. And they didn't. Plain and simple. You don't get half-pregnant. You're either pregnant or your not !

You give a 100% or you give nothing ! The country's pride is on the line here....you are there to beat your opponent and nothing else. You don't give up and sure as hell you DON'T thumbs up your opponent for sinking a birdie putt on the 17th to get the match square ! If your opponent birdies a hole, you damn well show him you can do better the next. That's a professional and hey, surprise, surprise...that's sportmanship too !

Diss Tiger for all you want, but the guy never gave up....he had a dismal session on the first day morning, but then in the fourballs, even though he was playing poorly in the front nine, he picked himself up and pretty much carried the pair all the way home himself....unfortunately he ran into a Belgian who could have sunk a putt from downtown Chicago.....and also 1 superb tee shot on the 17th by Donald.

Tiger's approach, chip and putt on Sunday at the 18th was inconsequential....who give a shit if the match end 14-14 or 13-15 or whatever ? The cup was L-O-S-T !! Lost. Game over....doesn't make a damned difference what Tiger or Molinari did....at that point, the Ryder Cup was over.

Ollie could have let the guys go good good, but he didn't simply because in his mind he wanted to try to get the cup by winning outright rather than draw...which is really dumb, because hey....guess what ? You've already won the damn Cup !

Ray

Originally Posted by crayputter

Diss Tiger for all you want, but the guy never gave up....

Actually, Tiger is the only player of the 24 in this competition that we can be sure did give up.  He admitted it.  He said that he didn't really try on that last putt because Europe already had the Cup.  Now, we can debate whether that really mattered....

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Note: This thread is 4216 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!