IGNORED

Most Consistent Player in 2012?

MEfree
Note: This thread is 4210 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Who do you think was the most consistent player in 2012?

• Bo Van Pelt
    • Brandt Snedeker
    • Bubba Watson
    • Casey Wittenberg
    • Dustin Johnson
    • Hunter Mahan
    • Jim Furyk
    • Keegan Bradley
    • Lee Weestwood
    • Luke Donald
    • Luke Guthrie
    • Matt Kuchar
    • Phil Mickelson
    • Robert Garrigus
    • Rory McIlroy
    • Steve Stricker
    • Tiger Woods
    • Webb Simpson
    • Zach Johnson
    • Someone Else

Explain your answer.

Also, for the above listed players, try answering the following WITHOUT looking up the stats (taken from PGATour.com and includes Web.com play, but not other tours unless it is a major like The Open which counts as a PGA Tour event)

Which two players finished Top 25 or better every time they made the cut?

Which 6 players only missed 1 cut all season (nobody was perfect)?

Who missed the most cuts?

Which two players had the most top 10s?

Which two players had the fewest top 10s?

Which two players had the most top 25s?

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Originally Posted by Wansteadimp

Presumably you mean consistently good, I imagine there are several players out there who missed every cut. Perfect consistency.

Yes, that is what I was thinking, but anyone can answer it how they like...consistency shot to shot, hole to hole, round to round, tournament to tournament, etc.

If a guy missed every cut shooting 2 strokes higher than the field ave each round, I think that is a lot more consistent that a guy who missed every cut shooting 65-79 (or something like that)...

Bo Van Pelt played consistently well without any wins. Wins would have to come in bunches to be considered consistent. He had zero - very consistent.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Bo Van Pelt played consistently well without any wins. Wins would have to come in bunches to be considered consistent. He had zero - very consistent.

True, but a dozen guys on my list missed fewer cuts than Bo.  OTOH, he did tie with Bubba for most top 25s and tie with Rory for most Top 10s.

Originally Posted by MEfree

Quote:

True, but a dozen guys on my list missed fewer cuts than Bo.  OTOH, he did tie with Bubba for most top 25s and tie with Rory for most Top 10s.

I took a shot at your riddle. Am I wrong? Whatever.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I took a shot at your riddle. Am I wrong? Whatever.

Didn`t mean it to be a riddle...the original question is more opinion than anything else as different people might have a different idea of what constitutes consistency in this context.  Most people would probably agree that Bo was pretty consistent this year, even if he did miss 4 cuts.

The other questions all have specific objective answers, i.e. Which two players finished Top 25 or better every time they made the cut?  Bubba and Luke Guthrie (#1 on the Web.com $ list and has only played 3 PGA and 7 Web.com events since turning pro in June)

I could be wrong here seeing as I dont feel like looking up the stats right now, but outside of the obvious few players, Justin Rose seems to have been in contention is many events this year.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

I am going to vote for Bubba as he had by far the highest % of top 25 finishes at 84.2% while nobody else was above 70%.

Originally Posted by atb5079

I could be wrong here seeing as I dont feel like looking up the stats right now, but outside of the obvious few players, Justin Rose seems to have been in contention is many events this year.

Justin was pretty consistent this year and should have been included as one of my choices.

Events Made Cuts Top 25s Top 10s
Bo Van Pelt 24 20 16 10
Brandt Snedeker 22 20 10 7
Bubba Watson 19 16 16 7
Casey Wittenberg 20 15 10 7 Includes Web.com Tour
Dustin Johnson 19 17 11 9
Hunter Mahan 23 20 12 5
Jim Furyk 23 19 13 7
Keegan Bradley 25 21 14 5
Lee Weestwood 15 14 9 7
Luke Donald 17 16 9 8
Luke Guthrie 10 9 9 7 Includes Web.com Tour
Matt Kuchar 22 21 13 9
Phil Mickelson 22 18 10 7
Robert Garrigus 24 17 12 7
Rory McIlroy 16 13 11 10
Steve Stricker 19 18 12 7
Tiger Woods 19 17 13 9
Webb Simpson 22 18 10 7
Zach Johnson 24 23 11 6
Justin Rose 19 17 12 8

Tiger, Kuchar, DJ and Luke Donald look best to me with the nod going to El Tigre because he had 3 wins. Rory had a sick year too and should be discussed because of the big wins.

Overall a very good year for a lot of guys.

HiBore XLS 9.5* Driver

AMP 15* SF 3 Wood

R11 3 and 4 hybrid

AP1 712 5-GW

52* Gap Wedge

SV 56* Wedge

SV 60* Wedge

35" Melbourne Putter

Hex Black Tour

No Jason Dufner? Seriously?

22 events, 21 cuts made, 2 wins, 8 top 10, 14 top 25.

The dude was money all year, plus he was big in the Ryder Cup.

Bill M

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by phan52

No Jason Dufner? Seriously?

22 events, 21 cuts made, 2 wins, 8 top 10, 14 top 25.

The dude was money all year, plus he was big in the Ryder Cup.

Agreed.  Quite an oversight there Mefree.  His numbers match up to everybody on your list quite well, throw in the wins and the good Ryder Cup play and he should be at the top of the list.

Bonus points for being cool as a cucumber 100% of the time.  Negative points for constantly dipping while playing.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Agreed.  Quite an oversight there Mefree.  His numbers match up to everybody on your list quite well, throw in the wins and the good Ryder Cup play and he should be at the top of the list.

Bonus points for being cool as a cucumber 100% of the time.  Negative points for constantly dipping while playing.

My bad for not having him on the list...I meant to include all the Ryder Cup players who are regulars on the PGA Tour...he slipped through the cracks.

Originally Posted by MEfree

Explain your answer.

Also, for the above listed players, try answering the following WITHOUT looking up the stats (taken from PGATour.com and includes Web.com play, but not other tours unless it is a major like The Open which counts as a PGA Tour event)

Which two players finished Top 25 or better every time they made the cut?  Watson and Luke Guthrie

Which 6 players only missed 1 cut all season (nobody was perfect)? Westwood, Donald, Guthrie, Kuchar, Stricker, Zach Johnson (and Duffner)

Who missed the most cuts? Garrigus

Which two players had the most top 10s? Van Pelt and McIroy

Which two players had the fewest top 10s?  Mahan and Bradley

Which two players had the most top 25s?  Van Pelt and Watson

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

I'm too lazy to do the research.  Just give me the answer, please.

Having originally being snarky, can I now ask who has been most inconsistent?

My vote would go to Brandan Grace - in 26 events so far - 5 wins, 1 other top 10, 4 other top 20s, the rest total Meh.

In bike racing terms - win or bin.

Yeah, other than the 5 wins, his season totally sucked. Boo!

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Note: This thread is 4210 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!