IGNORED

Does It matter whats in the bag if it is all legal

Shankie
Note: This thread is 3860 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I used to run a golf league and one week a year we'd have "Specialty Night"  Golfers were allowed 2 clubs and a putter. Many grumbled and moaned about how that's not really golf, but many were surprised that they shot no worse or even better without their whole bag.

You guys talking about a 1 iron.....have you checked the specs on clubs lateley?  Present day clubs with longer shafts and stronger loft make today's 3 iron almost the same as the 1 irons.

After Lee Trevino had his near miss with lightning at the Western Open years ago, he was seen walking down the fairway holding a 1 iron in the air. His explanation was "not even God can't hit a 1 iron."

Regards,

Big Wave

Golf is the only sport in which a thorough knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship - Patrick Campbell.

Originally Posted by saevel25

Most people probably come close to hitting a 1-iron, its called todays 3-iron :p

Honestly, for me i could play a hole round with just the 3-wood off the tee. Depending on how i play the ball in my stance i can vary the yardage and work it from left to right a lot better than my driver. Damn thing is a beast i tell you.

I stopped playing golf about 15 years ago and just recently took it up again. Getting used to the new huge headed driver has been a little bit of a challenge. They hit further than the old ones, but they seem less accurate. When I get a hold of one, I can hit it almost 300 yards. I just have trouble keeping it straight.

I agree with you on the 3 wood. Not as much distance, but a lot more controlable. If I was smart, I'd toss the driver and stick to the 3 wood. The problem is that it's so much fun to hit a huge drive; it gets addicting. There's nothing quite like the feeling of piping a long one straight down the middle.

I carry one kilo of coke, three cases of Cuban cigars and 2 machine guns and I have no problems.... As far as hitting any club, it is all in your head. Hit what you feel comfortable with.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 10 months later...

I think the key word is "legal", I have been considering getting a 7 wood to replace my 3 iron ... I know when I bought my set (80's) there was a debate about the 7 wood, I was going to ask our Pro if it was legal (and to be safe, I still might).  My current Driver is about 8 years old, so I was going to get a new Ping Driver and figured I'd order a 7 wood at the same time.

If it is allowed, and it improves your game, I see nothing wrong.

I use my 3 and 4 irons a fair amount and can hit them alright normally.  I see why they make people nervous though.  The only club I wish I had was maybe a 5w, I don't own one of those at the moment.

Originally Posted by dbuck

(I confess, my old Wilson putter may be illegal due to the grip-original leather with flat section on front)

No worries, putters are allowed to have a flat front to their grips. Almost all new putters come that way now and I do greatly prefer that kind of grip myself over a round putter grip.

Thanks for your response. This is the only real answer I have had including a question to the USGA. The problem with mine is that it is round at the top, flat in the middle, then round again. It is the original factory grip from about 1980, and many were made on that pattern.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Originally Posted by Strike One

I don't see what the big deal is about a 1 iron. I have an old Taylormade 1 iron in the bag which is a great club for me. I use it for narrow fairways because I can hit it straight off the tee for over 200 yards. I think 1 irons have gotten a bad rap. They're not hard to hit.

I also have an old Taylormade 3 wood which works great for me on long fairway shots. Since I always walk I only keep the clubs I feel confident with in my bag. I'm thinking of dumping a couple of my longer irons (6 and 4) and replacing them with wedges. I find that on most par 4s I'm hitting driver, wedge anyway so why drag a bunch of iron around I rarely use?

My hats off to the guy who doesn't let the crowd dictate what clubs he carries in his bag. Your clubs should be as individual as your game is.

The 1 Iron is the Fun Iron.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Originally Posted by MSchott

You're a 2 handicap, that's why you can hit a 1 iron. For me a 1 iron might as well be a lightning rod. I have much better luck hitting my 3 hybrid.

Nah, Trevino also said that a 1 iron would be safe in a lightning storm because even God himself couldn't hit a 1 iron. :)

Originally Posted by SDGolfer2009

I think the key word is "legal", I have been considering getting a 7 wood to replace my 3 iron ... I know when I bought my set (80's) there was a debate about the 7 wood, I was going to ask our Pro if it was legal (and to be safe, I still might).  My current Driver is about 8 years old, so I was going to get a new Ping Driver and figured I'd order a 7 wood at the same time.

If it is allowed, and it improves your game, I see nothing wrong.

Nothing wrong or illegal about that. I took out both my 3 iron and 4 iron and opted to using a 21* Olimar Trimetal  and/or a 4H. The Olimar is low profile and much easier to hit unless you are in high rough in which case I would want to use my irons.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Thanks for your response. This is the only real answer I have had including a question to the USGA. The problem with mine is that it is round at the top, flat in the middle, then round again. It is the original factory grip from about 1980, and many were made on that pattern.

Hmmm, I will double check on that one and make sure. I'll just edit this post with my findings when I get done.

Note: This thread is 3860 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!