IGNORED

John Daly- back on Tour full time?

MEfree
Note: This thread is 4185 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

-10 with a 63 today. If he gets a big payday this weekend it would push him well into the top 125.

Bill M

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yup ... be good to see Daly earn his way back in, rather than rely on exemptions.

BTW, he get's a number of exemptions on the Euro tour as well and always draws a gallery.

In my bag ... 12 year old Balvenie DoubleWood

Originally Posted by WWBDD

Yup ... be good to see Daly earn his way back in, rather than rely on exemptions.

BTW, he get's a number of exemptions on the Euro tour as well and always draws a gallery.

I might be wrong, but I think he might actually have a good chance to regain some status on the Euro Tour as well as he currently ranks #82 on the Race to Dubai list.

I think the Euro Tour gives major winners 10 years of category 1 status so Daly likely had full status there until 2006 (assuming he met any requirements to maintain that status).

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Originally Posted by MEfree

I think the Euro Tour gives major winners 10 years of category 1 status so Daly likely had full status there until 2006 (assuming he met any requirements to maintain that status).

Could be ... I watched a lot of Euro tour when I lived in the Emirates up untl 2009, and I remember distinctly being surprised how many events he played, that he was on sponsor's exemptions, and that he always had a significant following.

Don't recall him playing particularly well though.

I don't like setting myself up for another disappointment but I hope he keeps it up. He's entertaining to watch up close and personal, that's for sure. I'd like to see him at Torrey Pines next year.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Thanks for the bad memories John. http://www.pgatour.com/golfers/001249/john-daly/scorecards/#!/r047/2012

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Thanks for the bad memories John.

http://www.pgatour.com/golfers/001249/john-daly/scorecards/#!/r047/2012

Just don't understand that guy's head.

Oh man!  Looks like JD melted down today...currently +15 for the day and in last place among those who made the cut

Round 3 - TPC Summerlin
HOLE 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 OUT 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 IN TOTAL
PAR 4 4 4 4 3 4 4 3 5 35 4 4 4 5 3 4 5 3 4 36 71
ROUND 3 4 6 8 5 4 5 4 4 4 44 6 5 7 5 -- -- -- -- -- -- --
STATUS E 2 6 7 8 9 9 10 9 -- 11 12 15 15 -- -- -- -- -- -- +15

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Daly's comments after the meltdown (good of him to give the interview.....) seemed a bit confused.  'Every time I hit a good shot it had a bad outcome', or words to that effect - what does that mean exactly?  There is something about his thought process that doesn't quite add up sometimes.  Maybe it's just the way he expresses himself that doesn't always work for me.   He's still fighting at any rate - more power to him.

He did say that he was in a state of shock after the first few holes and never recovered - nothing worked for him.   That's something I can identify with, e.g. my round at Poppy Hills a few weeks ago - I'll call it my "Daly" round from now on.   As in, "I'll stick with the 3W the first few holes tomorrow to avoid a Daly".

I retract that last remark unreservedly ........

4-hybrid:

A more accurate Daly quote, sounding a bit perplexed:  "It was like that all day.  If I hit a good shot, it turned out bad."

That would be because you hit too many bad shots John, way too many.   Was this his way of saying that he did hit a few good shots at least.

He joked about how hard it would be for him to get amateur status playing like this.  Poor John.

4-hybrid:

My favorite was when he said..."after the round, I asked the scorer, do you think I could get my amateur status back?!"

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That was it.  At least he hasn't lost his sense of humor.

4-hybrid:

I think Daly was TRYING to say something along the lines that he was hitting the ball well(ballstriking, that kind of thing) but the outcomes were just never of good fortune.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

Sometimes JD seems to display a 'self-destructive' mode. The smokes, the drinks, the wives, the continual shots into the same pond, the lousy scores when just on the cusp of betterment perhaps indicate deep psychological troubles.  Demons lurk in each of us.  Best wishes John.

Originally Posted by Paradox

I think Daly was TRYING to say something along the lines that he was hitting the ball well(ballstriking, that kind of thing) but the outcomes were just never of good fortune.

Sounds like the misguided tool fool who was eliminated in this season's first episode of Big Break

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Quote:

Originally Posted by joekelly

Sometimes JD seems to display a 'self-destructive' mode. The smokes, the drinks, the wives, the continual shots into the same pond, the lousy scores when just on the cusp of betterment perhaps indicate deep psychological troubles.  Demons lurk in each of us.  Best wishes John.

Originally Posted by MEfree

John Daly currently sits #132 on the money having won 479 K in 12 events.  He is playing this week on a sponsors exemption and will have a chance to make top 125 to regain his first full time PGA Tour status since 2006.  There are 4 more events including this week and he is about 108 K behind #125 and will likely need about 200 K more in winnings as some of the guys ahead of him will pick up some checks in the coming weeks.

Are you rooting for him?

Do you think he will make it?

I'm rooting for him, but with caution.  I want to see John succeed at getting back on tour on a regular basis, but I hope he's also getting his life in order now and is happy with his life, which I believe is far more important than golf.  Today as far as golf is concerned, he took a huge step backwards. But tomorrow is a new day and hopefully he bounces back with a really low round.

Note: This thread is 4185 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!