IGNORED

Thrash Talk: Michelle Wie

Thrash13
Note: This thread is 6863 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

...My son goes to Q school this fall, if he makes it or gets conditional status and gets bumped because Wie's daddy pulls some "strings" to get her in the field, you are going to here some class A screaming....

100% agree. No string pulling allowed (no thong jokes please!

). If they (Anika, Michelle) have the penis envy - oh well, there is the monday qualifier for pretty much every single tour event. I don't know what's the qualification for that, but I think most will agree, that world-wide aknowledge players should be eligible to qualify (at least Anika, Wie could be debatable). If they make it? great - no problem.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well since I'm new here, I'll go ahead and muddy the water. I personally am tired of do gooders trying to prove women are the same as men. They're NOT. Never will be. That said, like Vijay said, Wie has no business playing on ANY men's tour without qualifying for it. Has she won on the LPGA tour? Or any woman's tour? NO! If she is so good she would surely dominate the LPGA, wouldn't you think? If she pays her money and gets through Q school, then she has earned the right to play. I spent years traveling the country with my kid on the AJGA junior tour. I've seen this before, pushy, wealthy parents trying to push little Johnny to the front of the pack. Yes she's good, but the next Tiger? LOL

Amen, Dan. Great Post.

Uhhh, Sponsor's exemptions don't take spots away from the field....Do they? Last time I check, the sport of golf was shrinking in number of everday players and needed some good publicity. Maybe Jack shouldn't play in the next British Open. Now I am not saying Jack and Wie are on the same level by a long shot but, Wie has brought renewed interest into the game.

Golfwrx.com

Uhhh, Sponsor's exemptions don't take spots away from the field....Do they? Last time I check, the sport of golf was shrinking in number of everday players and needed some good publicity. Maybe Jack shouldn't play in the next British Open. Now I am not saying Jack and Wie are on the same level by a long shot but, Wie has brought renewed interest into the game.

According to the research we did for the launch of my training aid, there are 24.7 million people in the US that play golf regularly and growing. 37.6 million play 1 time a year.

Those exemptions are included in the total number of the field. So yes they do. I feel, and this is opinion, Jack is one of the greatest players in the game of golf. And as one of the greatest, he should know when to step retire. I guess he does, at the British Open Wie hasn't brought anything to the game. I'm sure she's a nice kid. I can find NO evidence of Wie winning or qualifying her way into anything. All she gets is exemptions into tournaments and teams. Fact is she's not earning her way, someone's giving it to her. That some awfully good PR. Dan

Here is a good article about the state of golf. Reflecting your numbers as well as what I read. http://www.golfintelligence.com/abou...y_overview.htm

As for Exemptions, they are called Sponsor's Exemptions and as soon as there are no Sponsors, then they should be open to the field, if there is still a tournament.

As for Wie, she has played in the Women's Open, twice. Both times she played her way in made the cut, as a 13 and 14 year old. When she was 13, she was the youngest to ever make the cut. This year she will very likely be the youngest to finish in the top 10. She will win on the LPGA, it's just a matter of time. She brought renewed interest into the game as people want to see her. Its not a one way street, its the system that anyone with the opportunity to use, would.

Golfwrx.com

Don't fold up the chairs just yet. There are plenty of sponsors out there. They sky's not falling.

As for Wie, great to hear she qualified to play in at least two events. The point is there are many junior golfers, college golfers and pro golfers that can and do beat her. Why is she given such special treatment? Cause feminists want to see the little girl beat the big, bad men?

Yes, I too believe she will win on the LPGA tour.

As for Wie, she has played in the Women's Open, twice. Both times she played her way in made the cut, as a 13 and 14 year old. When she was 13, she was the youngest to ever make the cut. This year she will very likely be the youngest to finish in the top 10.

Not today, Wie shot 4 over 76 in the local qualifier at the Turtle Bay Palmer Course and didn't make it.

Dan

Not today, Wie shot 4 over 76 in the local qualifier at the Turtle Bay Palmer Course and didn't make it.

Correct Wie didn't make the cut 4 days ago, but she came ahead of alot of other Male golfers. She's a long shot alternated for the Men's US Open. The quote above I was referring to was the Women's US Open.

Two different issues here. 1) The PGA Tour is meant for the best players in the world to compete. 2) Sponsor's Exemption are for Sponsors. Its their Tournament to invite whoever the want. Since they put up the millions in prize money and support, I think they deserve that option. Same goes for Augusta not letting women into their Club. Its their club, their Tournament.

Golfwrx.com

Correct Wie didn't make the cut 4 days ago, but she came ahead of alot of other Male golfers. She's a long shot alternated for the Men's US Open. The quote above I was referring to was the Women's US Open.

1) PGA for Men players, Lpga for women

2) So by your thinking, should we let Bill from the mail room play? Or the fat lady in the company cafeteria, because she's the CEO's sister-in-law? As long as it's a sponsor's choice? 2b) Augusta, aka "the he man woman hater's club" can do what they want. They have class unlike the sopnsors that try to make a circus of a honorable sport. They don't bend to the PC crowd. I kinda like those guys. I mean, I can't get in either. Know why? Can't qualify! Dan

1) PGA for Men players, Lpga for women

That's one view of it. If Wie qualified without a sponsor's exemption, then she should still not be allowed to play?

2) So by your thinking, should we let Bill from the mail room play? Or the fat lady in the company cafeteria, because she's the CEO's sister-in-law? As long as it's a sponsor's choice?

Why not? Its not unprecedented in sports. Its been done in Baseball, basketball, and football. I am not referring specifically towards women. I am referring to having special people participate in professional sports to draw attention to an event.

2b) Augusta, aka "the he man woman hater's club" can do what they want. They have class unlike the sopnsors that try to make a circus of a honorable sport. They don't bend to the PC crowd. I kinda like those guys. I mean, I can't get in either. Know why? Can't qualify! Dan

Right..Qualify..Money plus lineage. All 99.9% non-minority "upper class" there.

Golfwrx.com

1) yes

2) I can't remember the last time the Phoenix Suns picked someone out of the audience to play on the team for a game. Just to hype it up.

So you mean it's a publicity stunt?

3) Right...Qualify...sorry they don't. They can't come to my next poor boy club meeting at Burger King. Why does it matter who makes up their club?

• Administrator
2) I can't remember the last time the Phoenix Suns picked someone out of the audience to play on the team for a game. Just to hype it up.

Uh, and who does it hurt? Who?

Oh, it sure does a good job helping the charities. I wrote something about that here . I am fine with sponsors using their exemptions for anything . That doesn't mean I think Michelle should accept - that's a different thing. But offering, why, that's just good sense for the tournament sponsors.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I do agree with you Erik about the sponsor thing. If I was a sponsor of a tournament that didn't exactly get the big dogs to play, I would probably go after Michelle Wie and Annika Sorenstam as well. That is, if I was a sponsor. But I'm not.

It just all adds up to her not deserving to be there IMO. She has done nothing in my eye to earn that right.

She needs to be playing as much as she can on the LPGA to help bring it to the next level. A little Wie vs. Sorenstam rivalry would do things for the LPGA the world has never witnessed before. I know it's a long shot, but she would have more of a chance making an impact on the LPGA than on the PGA.

1) Ok so I just want to clarify, Even if Wie qualified from an open field, you would still not allow her in?

2) Yes, its a publicity stunt. That's what Sponsor's Exemptions are for. As stated in the following threads, its the Sponsor's perogative. Whether she accepts is not is her decision. The whole Big Break series is based on this premise. I am not saying the show is good or bad but, it sure gets enough viewers for 3 series. If you go through Sports history, there are many examples of one time publicity stunts. Similar but not exact is George Plimpton playing in an exhibition NFL football game. He took someone's spot to make the cut in order to play that game. Who was to say if some rookie could have had a break out game and made the squad.

3) Augusta National is an anachronism. Its their club, they can and have the means to do as they wish. A course rich in history yes, a club I would model or hold to a standard, no.

This are just my personal ops and I don't expect to change your mind and don't expect your opinions to change mine. I think Wei should dominate the LPGA and make her way up. I don't fault her either for using the system cause it will use her just as much.

Golfwrx.com

Uh, and who does it hurt? Who?

Who it hurts is the young male touring pro trying to make a living.

What did Wie do on the AJGA junior tour where she should be right now? Nothing! What did Wie do on the LPGA tour? Not much! What did Wie do on the PGA tour? Nothing! So in short, she hasn't done much to earn the publicity she's got. This is nothing more than rich mommy/daddy pushing their little darling to the front of the pack. All the while female golfers that have worked hard and are more deserving of the spotlight get none. There's your class problem. You all seem to overlook one thing, It's the PGA's tournament. They just use the suckers/sponsors money to payoff the players. PGA runs the show, the sponsors get a tax write off.

1) Ok so I just want to clarify, Even if Wie qualified from an open field, you would still not allow her in?

If she went through the proper qualifying procedures, I don't see anything wrong with her playing. Then she's fighting for a spot just like everyone else.

2) Yes, its a publicity stunt. That's what Sponsor's Exemptions are for.

If you ask the PGA, I'm sure they won't agree.

George Plimpton playing in an exhibition NFL football game. He took someone's spot to make the cut in order to play that game.

I saw that on TV, and he did a Qback sneak. The difference here is the Qback still got paid.

This are just my personal ops and I don't expect to change your mind and don't expect your opinions to change mine.

I'm not trying to change your mind, as i don't think I could, I'm only trying to present the other side of the story.

One thing, I dont understand.

Annika said that she isnt good enough or long enough to compete with the guys, why does Michelle think she is any better?

Annika said she will never ever play another mens event because of the reason I stated above.

To Michelle Wie: The PGA tour is only in Hawaii for a 2 events so your advantage wont last to long.

Note: This thread is 6863 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!