IGNORED

Ireland offers McIlroy chance to carry flag at Rio Olympics

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3591 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The IOC agrees to whatever the most money says.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Vermeer

Well said. However, whatever Rory does he will be inbetween a rock and a hard place.

agreee - it would be considered more of a slap in the face to his fellow irishmen if he declined.     Not much choice - he'll have to do it...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Originally Posted by inthehole

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vermeer

Well said. However, whatever Rory does he will be inbetween a rock and a hard place.

agreee - it would be considered more of a slap in the face to his fellow irishmen if he declined.     Not much choice - he'll have to do it...

I don't think Irish players vying for a spot on the Olympic team will be offended in any way.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

No offense but I don't think that some posters have a very deep understanding of Irish history/culture/politics if they don't understand the issues involved. Celebrating St. Patrick's Day doesn't quite get you there.
  • Upvote 1

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

sigh...i hate flag/political stuff.  reminds me of the Rush lyrics:

" Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world,

than the pride that divides when a colorful flag is unfurled"

Colin P.

Originally Posted by colin007

sigh...i hate flag/political stuff.  reminds me of the Rush lyrics:

"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world,

than the pride that divides when a colorful flag is unfurled"

I would have an extreme dislike for anything that reminded me of Rush lyrics. Canada has oficially apologized for both Geddy Lee and Bryan Adams and that's all I can say.

I would have an extreme dislike for anything that reminded me of Rush lyrics. Canada has oficially apologized for both Geddy Lee and Bryan Adams and that's all I can say.

LOL...c'mon, 2112? Hemispheres? Those are great albums! I'll agree on the Bryan Adams take, tho...

Colin P.

LOL...c'mon, 2112? Hemispheres? Those are great albums! I'll agree on the Bryan Adams take, tho...

Sorry dude, but the sound of his voice has me reaching for the knitting needles.

Yes Rory, carry the flag of the 'English' - that raped and pillaged your country.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Quote:
LOL...c'mon, 2112

I made my grandmother listen to 2112 back when it came out.  She liked it.  However, she would be completely indifferent toward Rory carrying the Irish fag as she was 100% Italian!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Originally Posted by Chas

No offense but I don't think that some posters have a very deep understanding of Irish history/culture/politics if they don't understand the issues involved. Celebrating St. Patrick's Day doesn't quite get you there.

I suppose that's correct that those of us who don't live on the Irish island don't have a full understanding of the history, politics and culture.  My Grandfather was from county Waterford and I do have some understanding of how he felt about the politics and History of his birthplace.  But as an American I don't really have dog in the argument.   But as an ill informed citizen of the USA I did hear Rory say he always felt he was a citizen of Great Britain (or maybe the United Kingdom) and not Irish.  If he feels that way I don't see why he would not play for the British team.

Butch

You certainly don't have to have lived on the island, but it helps greatly to have followed events there - and in England - since the late 60's say. As I hope people know, The Troubles started in 1969. When I try to have a conversation about Irish issues here in the U.S., I am generally met with a pitiful state of ignorance. Knowing when certain battles were fought doesn't cut it either.

4-hybrid:

You certainly don't have to have lived on the island, but it helps greatly to have followed events there - and in England - since the late 60's say. As I hope people know, The Troubles started in 1969. When I try to have a conversation about Irish issues here in the U.S., I am generally met with a pitiful state of ignorance. Knowing when certain battles were fought doesn't cut it either.

Not sure what this has to do with Rory carrying (or not carrying) the Irish flag at the olympics.  He's said he associates himself more as a UK'er; does that mean he's turned his back on his true country?  If he carries the flag, does that make him a separatist?  Under the rules of the Olympics, can he even play for Ireland if he doesn't live in (or isn't from) Ireland?  (I honestly don't know the answer to that question, but I presume the IOC hasn't unilaterally declared N.Ireland independent from the UK.)

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Originally Posted by k-troop

Not sure what this has to do with Rory carrying (or not carrying) the Irish flag at the olympics.  He's said he associates himself more as a UK'er; does that mean he's turned his back on his true country?  If he carries the flag, does that make him a separatist?  Under the rules of the Olympics, can he even play for Ireland if he doesn't live in (or isn't from) Ireland?  (I honestly don't know the answer to that question, but I presume the IOC hasn't unilaterally declared N.Ireland independent from the UK.)

Having been born in Northern Ireland he is entitled to both a UK of GB & NI passport or an Irish passport. He can therefore represent either nation at the Olympics.

If I were him I'd come out and say "I'm not going to the Olympics, it will be more hassle than its worth."

My original post was based on Rory's statement about where he feels his allegiance lies, assuming it was accurately reported. If he carries the flag of the Republic of Ireland, many will naturally question his motives. I've got no dog in this. An attempt to learn more about my Celtic ancestors when visiting Dublin was singularly unsuccessful. People with my name, or an equivalent name (spelled similarly) seem to have lived on both sides of the border. I was consoled with a pint or two of draft Guinness. It would be naive indeed not to understand that Rory's decision will matter a great deal to people in both the R of I and in Northern Ireland, a part of the U.K. That was the relevance of my more recent post.

4-hybrid:

People with my name, or an equivalent name (spelled similarly) seem to have lived on both sides of the border.

i didnt know Chas was a traditional irish name...

Colin P.

lol My best friends call me O'Chas. Colin: I sort of agree but I recommend a visit to the famous old prison in Dublin (forget the name) for some perspective on Anglo-Irish relations. The trouble with the Irish is that they know altogether too much history .....

4-hybrid:

Note: This thread is 3591 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!