IGNORED

Anyone Getting an iPhone?

iacas
Note: This thread is 5732 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
too much money for a phone

It's about the same price as other phones of similar capability. It's not "just" a phone, after all.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ShadowXOR
They are really nice but they are too expensive and all my friends have Verizon and it makes my bill a lot cheaper.

EDIT: Whiplash, the stand out feature for me is amazingly fast load times and the touch screen. It makes life a lot easier.

It's really unfortunate that it's running data on AT&T;'s dinosaur EDGE network

I know alot about some things, but cellular networking isn't one of them. Enlighten me on what's so dinosaurish about EDGE?

My Cingular 2125 is about to kick the bucket... but I'm not eligible for an upgrade until next Spring. So I'm looking seriously at iPhone.
What's in My Bag?

Driver: 10.5° KZG SP-700 with Fujikura SIX Regular Flex Shaft | 2h: Adams A7OS Stiff | 3h: Adams A3OS Stiff | 4h: Nike Slingshot Steel | 5i-PW: Adams A2OS | Sand Wedge: Cleveland CG14 56° 3-dot | Lob Wedge: Cleveland CG15 60° 3-dot | Putter: Fisher CTS-9 Polyurethane Face

I'm running a Motorola Q on Sprint's network and it's very fast. I gave up my air card with Sprint for the Q. If the iPhone were an option with Sprint I would consider one. But, I honestly don't see anything, other than 802.11B/G, that it will do that I don't already have covered. My Q plays music, runs Media player, surf the net, runs Good so I can access my work Outlook, has a 4GB mini SD card, syncs with any PC via mini usb or IR and has a QWERTY keyboard. I'm running Google earth and it's as fast as my old air card, which is at least twice as fast as the Cingular air cards my techs are using.

I'm not saying anything bad about the iPhone. I just don't see what it does that I can't live without.

The camera on my Q sucks but I have a Nikon D70 with several lenses so I really don't have the need for a camera on my phone.

I've been following the buzz on these things somewhat and I just don't see the justification for a $600 multi function phone. ...but I'm open to learning about them. I've been wrong before. Especially if they are ever offered on the Sprint network.

It's about the same price as other phones of similar capability. It's not "just" a phone, after all.

Touchscreen keyboard is the suck. Imagine trying to dial a number while you are in the car, or otherwise one handed. They are also missing tons of features, get an HTC product like the Cingular 8525, it has more features and a slide out keyboard.

What's In The Bag
Driver: TM Burner stiff
3i Cleveland Hibore Hybrid
3-6: MX-23
7-PW: MP-60 Project X 5.5SW: Golden Bear hybridLW/GW Cleveland 60* and Tour Edge 50*Putter: two bar rifle malletBall: NXT TourHome Course: Raintree CC 70.7/126 North 71/130 Southhttp://stink.net

• Administrator
I'm running a Motorola Q on Sprint's network and it's very fast. I gave up my air card with Sprint for the Q. If the iPhone were an option with Sprint I would consider one. But, I honestly don't see anything, other than wifi, that it will do that I don't already have covered. My Q plays music, runs Media player, surf the net, runs Good so I can access my work Outlook, has a 4GB mini SD card, syncs with any PC via mini usb or IR and has a QWERTY keyboard.

If you look at a Mac or an iPhone as a checklist, you're going about it all wrong. "Does the Web - check" simply doesn't cut it. You've really just missed the point.

I really don't care what phone you use, currently own no Apple stock, etc., but feel the need to stick up for Apple products as more than checklists. When checklists match up, the "how" becomes incredibly important, and that's where the iPhone blows a lot of others away.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

kurt - EDGE is slow - but usable... The iPhone will connect to any open wifi hotspot, and then it is fast. Check wikipedia for more info. The touchscreen is no worse than a keyboard for making a phone call. Yes, voice dial will be better, and I think they will bring it in a software update.

Its not perfect, but it certainly is usable as a smartphone. I have grown to like mine and actually regret not getting the 8Gb model. The video is suberb for its size, though it is a bit contracsty, in that you lose shadow detail quite a bit. This applies to movies I converted with Handbrake, and they look that way in Quicktime as well, so it could be the way its extracted....

If you pick one up at the store, they're very addictive....

WTIB:
Callaway FT-9 Tour 9.5° Scads of shafts - now: Kai'li 63 stiff
Tour Edge Exotics 3 & 5 FW
Callaway X-22 Tour irons
Bobby Jones 3 & 4 hybridsRife Abaco/Odyessy Black Series i9 puttersWith a few more hangin' around

kurt - EDGE is slow - but usable... The iPhone will connect to any open wifi hotspot, and then it is fast. Check wikipedia for more info. The touchscreen is no worse than a keyboard for making a phone call. Yes, voice dial will be better, and I think they will bring it in a software update.

No bluetooth voice dial, and trust me they keyboard will suck for single handed dialing while jotting down a note, or driving because my phone can do it both ways, the screen is a similar size as the iphone and if you don't have the keyboard slid out it is a pain in the ass to input text and numbers. If you never make calls from your car or type emails/txts then it is a non issue.

I would also recommend googling "iphone issue list", some include: no A2DP (for wireless stereo headsets and other applications) no MMS (can't txt pictures) no bluetooth sync can't sync via MAPI to an exchange server can't do contact sort (I have 300+ contacts this is a major one for me)

What's In The Bag
7-PW: MP-60 Project X 5.5SW: Golden Bear hybridLW/GW Cleveland 60* and Tour Edge 50*Putter: two bar rifle malletBall: NXT TourHome Course: Raintree CC 70.7/126 North 71/130 Southhttp://stink.net

If you look at a Mac or an iPhone as a checklist, you're going about it all wrong. "Does the Web - check" simply doesn't cut it. You've really just missed the point.

I am an IT professional and understand what you are saying. But I have not heard anything other than hype surrounding the iPhone. Specifically, what does it do that justifies the $600 price tag? I paid $60 for my Q with a 2 year contract renewal. The price point is what I'm balking at. Doesn't Creative Labs offer a very similar device for around $300? If it's just that it's an apple then I understand the cult following. However, it's business that rules my decisions. Does Good support the iPhone? Is this a viable alternative to Blackberry and treo or is this just a wiz bang toy? I make telecom buying decisions for 4 major metropolitan hospitals in a multi billion dollar health care corporation and I simply don't see it.

Where's the beef?

• Administrator
I am an IT professional and understand what you are saying.

I'll stop short of making jokes about how using Windows guarantees you a job for years to come... except to say I'll stop short of making jokes about it. Couldn't resist.

But I have not heard anything other than hype surrounding the iPhone.

I've heard a ton. I've heard about how much easier it is to type. How many things just work or make great sense. How awesome it is to have a FULL web browser, FULL email, full media (music, movies, pictures) access, seamless WiFi capabilities, easy synchronization, etc.

That may seem like a checklist, but again the "big" thing with the iPhone or virtually all Apple products is the experience. You seem to make buying decisions based on checklists. That may work for you, but it misses a significant portion of the big picture.
Specifically, what does it do that justifies the $600 price tag?

First off, it's $500. The $600 model has 8 GB of storage.

Second, there are plenty of smart phones out there that cost $500. Last time I checked, NONE have a full web browser quite like the iPhone. That feature alone may be worth it to many people. The iPod capabilities may be worth it to others. The WiFi access may be worth it to others. For most, it's a combination of all of those apps PLUS the experience that make the price well worth while.
Doesn't Creative Labs offer a very similar device for around $300?

Not that I know of, no.

If it's just that it's an apple then I understand the cult following.

C'mon now, that's a tad childish. If you've got to resort to trying to paint anyone who supports an Apple product as a "cult follower" then your argument lacks substantial merit.

The iPod doesn't match the checklists of some other products, but has, what, 85% of the market?
Does Good support the iPhone?

The iPhone supports industry standards for email. You're a smart guy, so I'm sure you're capable of looking this up and saving us all some time.

Is this a viable alternative to Blackberry and treo or is this just a wiz bang toy?

Asked and answered by thousands of pretty intelligent people. And again, pretty silly to trot out the old "toy" thing. This ain't the early 1990s. Let's drop the "cult" and "toy" arguments - they're outdated and don't apply.

sounds like you've already made up your mind.

What's In The Bag

Nice reply Iacas, you beat me to it.

As Iacas has pointed out the iPod is a great example, there are many music devices out there and most have the same hardware underneath, from the drives to the flash memory, to the controller chips and DAC's etc.. what makes the iPod different is the interface. It's easy to use and straight forward. Sure there are devices out there that have more features, more space, their equivalent shuffle has an LCD screen etc.. etc.. but the combo of click wheel and software on the iPod wins.

Same for the iPhone, which I think is what WhiplashSmile's argument is missing. Sure the iPhone costs $500-$600 bucks and you can get similarly spec'd hardware for cheaper. But they don't run OS X which is what the iPhone is based on. Just as Hogan 'found it in the dirt' so too should you 'find it in the software' that after all is what the hype is all about!!!

Mizuno F-50 3W DS S300
Titleist 906F2 5W UST V2
Titleist 585.H 21 DG S300
Mizuno MP-FLIHI 4 DG S300
Mizuno MP-32 5-PW DG S300Mizuno MP-R 52.07 DG Wedge FlexMizuno MP-R 56.13 DG Wedge FlexTitleist Vokey Spin Milled 60.04 DG Wedge FlexScotty Cameron Studio Newport 2

I'm not an Apple guy. I admit it. As was stated, the IT profession means that we use Windos. That's just how it is. I didn't know that the browser was that much better, not being an Apple owner or user. Therefore, I don't pretend to know anything about OS X.

I did not say that Apple owners are "cult followers". The phrase that Apple has kind of a cult following is not a jab, at least not from me, to apple or it's users. But let's face it, the world's businesses run MS. While it is not the best, see I can admit that, it is a fact. I stand by my "cult following" comment in that apple owners are typically an extremely loyal group and, as has been displayed in this thread, they wioll defend their beloved apple whole heartedly. There is nothing wrong with that and I was not refering to cults. Come on, you're a smart guy too, you surely know I did not intend that to be an insult. If not, you do now.

As for the toy comment, I should have phrased that differently. Is the iPhone suited for business? I should not have called it a toy. I should have asked if it were more suited for personal users.

My only interest in this conversation is learning a little more from people who honestly appreciate it. It's just a matter of time before one of my customers requests one and based on what my impressions are now I would have to deny that request. As for me doing the research, sure I can. I just thought this was an open discussion and that some of the over zealous Apple fans could stear me in the right direction. Alas, the evil MS user has tainted the conversation.....

As for the iPod... I admit that is a superior product than anything else on the market. I have one and cannot even think of running without it. I was just hoping for as compelling of an argument for the iPhone. Perhaps I was not clear as to what I was looking for. Just tell me what makes you so passionate about it. I don't care about the checklist. Up to this point I have found that, in general, products that perform many different functions do not of them extremely well. Are you telling me that the iPhone is the exception and that it does everything excedingly well? That's great, just explain the why and the how.

lastly, I didn't mean to come across as hating Apple of the iPhone. I just don't get it. Obviously some of you do. Please enlighten me as to why it's worth $600 (I'd buy the 8GB if I bought one. I have to price it that way. I've filled up my 4 GB ipod too many times.)

and I really didn't mean to stir the puddin. I'm an ISTJ if that helps you understand me any better LOL.....

Whiplash.... See the problem is the old "its a Windows world"... I have know IT support people with UNIX backgrounds that simply hate administering windows, and love the Mac environment since it is UNIX based..... The "cult" attitude I think is more of an appreciation of what Macs do for the people that use them.

The iPhone should be adequate for business. Though I would add voice dialing and memo recording.... It is not perfect, but for a first release, it is astounding.... Try one at an Apple store... I wasn't going to get one. Until I actually picked it up. Eventually I'd like to see some customization available for the users (not hacked based, that's been done already).

WTIB:
Callaway FT-9 Tour 9.5° Scads of shafts - now: Kai'li 63 stiff
Tour Edge Exotics 3 & 5 FW
Callaway X-22 Tour irons
Bobby Jones 3 & 4 hybridsRife Abaco/Odyessy Black Series i9 puttersWith a few more hangin' around

• Administrator
I stand by my "cult following" comment in that apple owners are typically an extremely loyal group and, as has been displayed in this thread, they wioll defend their beloved apple whole heartedly.

No, you don't get to claim you don't mean any offense. "Cult" doesn't have good connotations, and we're not out proselytizing or anything. "Cult" = bad, and I'm sure you're smart enough to know that when you use it. It's a veiled insult that has historically been a simple way of pooh-poohing the points and positions of those who support.

No, I'm not offended, but name-calling has no place in this kind of discussion.
As for the toy comment, I should have phrased that differently.

And combined with the "cult" stuff, again, it appears you're stuck in the mid-90s.

Is the iPhone suited for business?

If we answer that (yes), aren't we just doing your job for you?

As for the iPod... I admit that is a superior product than anything else on the market. I have one and cannot even think of running without it. I was just hoping for as compelling of an argument for the iPhone.

Go use one. That is the argument. iPod : music player :: iPhone : "all in one" type phone.

You don't like your iPod because of a checklist. Using a checklist to compare the iPhone to others is just as bad.
Please enlighten me as to why it's worth $600 (I'd buy the 8GB if I bought one.

We've already done so. Pretending we haven't started is pretty silly. You may begin your education

here . For the record, I don't own an iPhone. I don't have AT&T; here, and I'm waiting for their purchase of Cellular One to go through before I even consider buying one. I own an iPod, but it primarily resides in my car's glove box and supplies my car's radio with music. Let's get back on topic. The original question was "Anyone getting an iPhone?"

Here are a few random thoughts about my iPhone that may or may not address some of the previous comments, but I thought I would share them

1. I find it very easy to dial the phone one handed, especially on numbers that are in my contacts. Using the keypad is also quite easy. The numbers are large enough on the screen that it causes no problems. I would say it is easier to use then my Blackberry 8703e one handed.

2. Sorting through contacts is incredibly easy. You can page very easily by selecting the letter from the side, or just flipping through with your finger. It pages very fast. Everything the phone does is fast.

3. The Edge network is slow, but very usable. Plus it automatically selects WiFi if available.

4. I would say after having my phone for a couple of weeks, I can type just as fast as I can on my BlackBerry.

5. Rumor has it that Apple is working on getting active sync technology from Microsoft which would offer full Exchange functionality. In the mean time you can use POP3 or IMAP functionality.

6. The iPhone is so easy to use. And so much fun. The interface is so much better then any other phone I have used. There really is no way to put the interface into words. You just have to try it.

7. My major complaint? Some of the buildings I work in interfere with cell service (Sprint, Verizon, and AT&T;). It takes the iPhone a while to find the network after I walk out of a bad building sometimes.

Overall, I prefer my iPhone to my BB 8703e. I will be getting a BB 8830 by the end of the week and I am excited to make the comparison.
"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree , is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents"

-Nathaniel Bornenstein

As a designer, I'm an Apple guy through and through. They set the standard of industrial design, constantly realing out beautiful products.....but I haven't bought one yet. I'm waiting another generation or two, until it's off the old network and some of the features have been expanded. I'm just not a first G guy.......but everything about them is quite beautiful.

Driver: Titleist 907D1
3W: 906F2 15
5W: Cobra SZ HS
Hybrid: Cobra Baffler 21
Irons: Taylormade Rac LT2 Wedges: Vokey SM 52 + 56 Putter: Some old piece of crap

Note: This thread is 5732 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!