IGNORED

125 mph Swing Speed Driver Help!

Note: This thread is 3880 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello All,

I'm 6'3" and 235lbs with an aggresive transition on my swing, I was wondering if any one could give some suggestions on a club/shaft combo for under $200 hopefully.  I generally like heavier clubs, 80g or more for driver would be ideal, thanks for the help.

Originally Posted by MLgolf

Code:

Are you sure you have that fast of club head speed?

I think he was the guy who aced a 290 par 4 with a 3 wood that may have spun back into the cup.

• Upvote 2

Well if you do have that fast of a clubhead speed, you may be SOL on cheap driver shafts. If you want something that fits you, you'll need to see a fitter with some tour quality shafts not found on the mainstream market. Even tipping a heavyweight shaft by like an inch might not be enough. Less loft is almost a certainty. You won't be able to buy anything off the rack at all.

Forget about cheap though. You might be able to find a decent consition head from a couple years older model around 100$ like an adams 9064LS, which is notoriously low spin, but the shaft could be a couple hundred unless you don't mind playing something a bit soft for you.

The Grafalloy bimatrix is supposed to be decent, 80g in X flex and 80$, but I don't think it's enough unless you go to like a 7˚ head. It's the same model Bubba Watson plays, but I doubt the market version is close to his spec. The UST Mamiya Proforce V2 in the 80g range tipped might be an option because it's so low torque, but you may need to tip it and it's 80$. The UST VTS series comes in a TX flex at 150$, and can be found in the 80g range as well as having matching shafts for the woods and hybrid. The Project X graphite wood shafts might be a bit soft, even at the 7 flex, so look at the tour issue models at high prices. Then there's the nunchuk, which supposedly works at any swing speed; it's pricy as hell but Jhonny Vegas uses it and he's one of the longest hitters on tour.

At this kind of swing speed, the margin for error is very thin. So get fitted and find something you can hit straight, for the love of god. And don't guess your SS, get on a real monitor at a competent fitter. If you do, you'll spend the money once and get the best results. If not, good luck out there buddy.

I suggest you play a driver no longer than 45".

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Again the ace didn't spin backward as much as hit a steep slope past the green and rolled back, in the hole!

Lucius, the UST Proforce 65 low torque, X flex is what I have right now, with a KZG Cobalt 9.5 Degree, that I like but I deffinently balloon the ball some, and my instructor thinks I need a heavier shaft to help with my swing.  So I think I will try 80g UST as I do like their shafts.

Before going off topic, I would like to mention there are very strong people living here in California. The OP is very possibly one of them.

Here are some pictures from the Ventura County Scottish festival this last weekend "Strong men throwing heavy objects".

This was not the winning toss. They go by distance and accuracy throwing a 22 pound ball attached to a pole. Pole and Ball go about 120 feet, and, from my understanding, the ball must land within a foot target to be considered "perfect" by the judge. They just keep on tossing until someone "gets" it, I guess. Pretty strong dudes? This person was only 6'2" 280 pounds.

Who's to say that when the OP learns to hit properly, that he might not be a long driver?

Hey, California attracts a whole lot of athletes from around the world. Some of the residents (not me) are descended from them.

BTW, my daughter plays the Celtic harp so we went to the festival to watch her and her fellow harpists play. The Haggis was good, and yes the strong men threw small telephone poles later on.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Wow I'm definitely not that strong! And I'm no great golfer, but when it comes to swinging objects fast a ax maul thru two pieces of wood stacked on top of each other, hitting a baseball well over 400 ft, or swinging a golf club fast I've always been able to even when I was 6'1" 135 lbs in high school

I use a Motore Speeder VC 7.2 X flex. Its 74g and I love it. My club head speed is only approx 108. You either need to slow down a bit or or have something custom built.

Aldila ProtoPYPE 80x tip it like 1/2-1 inch.  Angel Cabrera used that for a while including when he won the US open(not sure if it was the 80x exactly). It is a very stiff shaft for hard swingers like you.  CHoose whatever head you like.  That shaft is like 70 bucks new on the bay.

Originally Posted by HackerUpNorth

Lucius, the UST Proforce 65 low torque, X flex is what I have right now, with a KZG Cobalt 9.5 Degree, that I like but I deffinently balloon the ball some, and my instructor thinks I need a heavier shaft to help with my swing.  So I think I will try 80g UST as I do like their shafts.

I'm in the same boat as you. I've been using an old Nike SQ head with 8.5* of loft and a Harrison PRO 2.5ti shaft for many years. However, after searching for the past 2+ years for the perfect driver, I just upgraded things a bit last week....ended up going with a Nike VR Pro ltd. edition head with 8.5* and a Fubuki Alpha 70x shaft. During my search I hit a lot of driver/shaft combos and found that I must keep lofts below 9* or else my spin numbers go through the roof. If I were you, I'd start looking into a new head with less loft. You are lucky in the sense that you already like and are familiar with the UST shafts - which are phenomenal and priced very well. I've hit both the 8800 and 9090 in x-flex and found the 8800 not only felt better, but actually fit my swing better as well. Both models have extremely low torque numbers which is a huge plus in my book. If I remember correctly, these shaft can be had for well under $100. So, if I were you I'd find a new head ($100-$150) and slide a Proforce V2 Tour 8800 or 9090 shaft in ($50-$75ish) and you should be going in the right direction.

My .02

Irons - nike.gif Forged Blades / Project X 7.0

Driver - nike.gif VR Pro Ltd. Edition 8.5° / FUBUKI Alpha 70x

Wood - nike.gif SQ 3+ 13° / Stock Diamana S-Flex
Wedges - cleveland.gif Tour Action Gunmetal Reg 588 54° & 60° / DG S400
Putter - White Hot XG 2-Ball F7

Bag - nike.gif SQ Tour Carry

I know 3 people builds and club speeds, they all use some form of the Nike Sasquatch or Dymo (I think thats what it's called), and swear by them. The guy I always play with had a Sasquatch until it imploded and then a Dymo until it did the same a IIRC they were 10 or 10.5 and he could kill the ball, both had the OEM S shaft. He just switched to a cobra and I think he has lost some distance but he doesnt seem to think so. I have around a 118mph swing speed and could drive the ball well with his drivers but the clubs would wear me out, they always felt really heavy right before contact and I would worry about it in the back swing and my form would break down.

All the mid to high handicappers I play with that have a ridiculous club speed seem to love them.

Around here they were really popular when the came out, and are everywhere, if your area is similar you shounldnt have a problem finding one to try out, which I do recommend.

I always loved the way they sounded to.

125 mph club head speed and 25 hcp. I would suggest backing of quite a bit. To be hitting that far and scoring that badly I would assume you aren't hitting very many fairways. I used to have a problem with this. Bombing the ball three miles but out of play isn't worth the few times you actually hit the fairway.

Driver: Cleveland Launcher DST

Hybrid: Cleveland Mashie 3H

Irons: Cleveland Launcher

Wedges: Cleveland cg 15 46, 52, 56, 60

Putter: Odyssey tour black

Ball: Titleist NXT Tour

Originally Posted by goob3r

125 mph club head speed and 25 hcp. I would suggest backing of quite a bit. To be hitting that far and scoring that badly I would assume you aren't hitting very many fairways. I used to have a problem with this. Bombing the ball three miles but out of play isn't worth the few times you actually hit the fairway.

I dont think it is a bad idea for him to try a heavy, short (45" or under if he does it right) stiff enough for his swing driver.  If he gets all 3 of those his dispersion should tighten up quite a bit.  I don't know his misses or swing but if it is near sound he should be able to tighten it up.  I played i15 with stock avixcore(60 some gram) that would be all over the place and balloon.  I got an i20 witha  ad bb7x at 45"  got it tipped to 44.5" and it is almost automatic.  Aim down left center and swing.  It is just stiff enough to leak right on standard swing and I get a 1 yard fade when I really step on it with piercing trajectory.  I don't swing as hard as this guy (110-115 on course I think) Carry it about 260 add on whatever roll I can get.  (I know that seems short for the internet).  If he gets a 80 gram ust or protoPYPE and tips it properly and plays it 44.5 inches I think he can swing away.  Although he still has to hit his irons and putt. a 200 yard shot is a 200 yard shot I don't care if you get to hit a 7 iron or a 3 iron the difference in difficulty is closer than everyone thinks.

As a guy with a 126 mph club head speed and a 24 cap, I am the most qualified person to tell you what you need with out knowing you. Get a brick and a 4 foot piece of rebar and use it with only your right hand. Seriously though. Go to some of the fittings, they are usually free. Get an idea for the ideal club loft and exact shaft and if money is a concern, find a club with the loft and exact shaft on eBay.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

So . . . much . . . Bullshit . . .

It's quite possible for many people to have a swing speed of 125 or more, but very rare for a controlled speed above 110. Even the number of people with a controlled swing speed of 110 are probably only in the thousands. I got a book from a club fitter called "12 Myths That Could Wreck Your Golf Game" by Tom Wishon and Tom Grundner. This clubfitter was not just trying to sell us his services, but noted that all he wanted to see was more people improving their games. I am planning on having him coach my son in a couple months. So, I did get an explanation of a controlled swing. If you can do it every time the same, that's controlled. I recommend this book to the OP and others who wish to improve their game. So, no BS, just a lot of folks who enjoy hitting the long ball.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

It's quite possible for many people to have a swing speed of 125 or more, but very rare for a controlled speed above 110. Even the number of people with a controlled swing speed of 110 are probably only in the thousands. I got a book from a club fitter called "12 Myths That Could Wreck Your Golf Game" by Tom Wishon and Tom Grundner. This clubfitter was not just trying to sell us his services, but noted that all he wanted to see was more people improving their games. I am planning on having him coach my son in a couple months. So, I did get an explanation of a controlled swing. If you can do it every time the same, that's controlled. I recommend this book to the OP and others who wish to improve their game. So, no BS, just a lot of folks who enjoy hitting the long ball.

I guess what I'm saying is a lot of people have no friggin' idea what a "125 mph" swing looks like in person.

Note: This thread is 3880 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!