IGNORED

On-course superstitions

k-troop
Note: This thread is 4193 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Does anyone have these?

I never really thought about it until about 4 years ago.  I once heard Ernie Els say that every ball only has one birdie in it.  Anytime I birdie a hole, I always think about this.  Sometimes, I'll make 2 or 3 birdies with a ball, and then miss an easy opportunity.  Well, that ball is gone--I've used up all of the birdies.  (Actually, cursed balls are the only superstition that really creeps into my head when I play.  I'll frequently change balls when things aren't going well, sometimes put 3 different balls in play over a 4 hole stretch until I find one that wants to play.)

I also use a Sacajawea dollar as a ball mark.  I've been using the same one since 2001; I got it out of a stamp machine when I mailed something on the way to the course one day.  I shot lights out that day using that ball mark, and it's been in my bag since.  I've actually dropped it on the course 3 times, and each time I was able to recover it!!

Nearly every Tour pro has superstitions; most revolve around ball marks, how they mark their ball, or what number they play.  How about y'all?  Anyone willing to admit they're nuts?

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Every time I hit a green in regulation, I make sure not to get a birdie. It must be intentional, right?

• Upvote 1

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

I also use a Sacajawea dollar as a ball mark.  I've been using the same one since 2001;

Me too. Probably over 10 years now too. Hate to admit it but I even go a step further. Before I head out for the course, I polish it bright with brasso. Every stinkin' time...... My one other superstition is that I won't hit off a white tee. I'll even go so far as to pick up any white tees I see on the tee box and throw them away. Why? I got nuthin'....... :-\

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I never hit a new ball off the first tee, but it's not due to superstition. It is a proven scientific fact that new balls have unstable positrons when used off the first tee which cause wildly erratic ball flight.

• Upvote 1

dak4n6

I use to get superstitious with certain meals when it came to competition.  Like if I had a certain food for dinner the night before a tournament or breakfast the morning of and played well then there was a good chance I'd try to eat the same kinds of meals.  If I played bad then obviously I would change what I had eaten.  Another thing, and I still do it, is keep my ball marker in the same pocket if I'm putting well.  If I make a few bad strokes in a row, I'll switch pockets.  Silly lol

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Originally Posted by Datsyuk

I have to use a broken tee on par 3's even if I have a couple shorties in my pocket.

Ha, me too! I'll also carry that broken tee around all day.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Me too on the broken tees!

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Originally Posted by David in FL

My one other superstition is that I won't hit off a white tee. I'll even go so far as to pick up any white tees I see on the tee box and throw them away.

Why? I got nuthin'.......

I've read that some tour pros share this superstition--something about white tees being too similar to OB stakes.

Originally Posted by jetsknicks1

Repair tool & tees go in the right pocket, ball mark in the left. No exceptions.

I do the same, but it's more OCD than superstition.  I never keep anything in my left pocket, because trying to pull something out of your pocket with a glove on is just madness.  I can't clutter my pockets, either:  2 tees, 1 pitchfork, 1 ball mark, and the ball that I'm playing with--no spares (because that would be admitting the possibility that I could have to re-tee).

Originally Posted by mvmac

Another thing, and I still do it, is keep my ball marker in the same pocket if I'm putting well.  If I make a few bad strokes in a row, I'll switch pockets.  Silly lol

Mine is always in the right, and it just doesn't feel right in the left pocket.

Originally Posted by Datsyuk

I have to use a broken tee on par 3's even if I have a couple shorties in my pocket.

I think I read that Jack Nicklaus had the same superstition.  He would always look for a broken tee on a par 3.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

I don't think I have any completely irrational tendencies. I use broken tees because there's no reason to waste a good tee on a par three when I'm guaranTEEd to break it. I keep my golf balls, tees, ball marker, and divot took in my right pocket and my glove in my left pocket because I don't want to reach into my pocket with a glove on. I don't switch balls or tees after a bad shot, I don't use any specific ball marker, and I don't plan out my pre-round meals. I use whatever number golf ball I have, and I mark it the same way every time for consistency. Even my pre-shot and ball-marking routines are fungible. I do re-lace my shoes outside over inside, but only because if I can get into a groove I can re-lace them faster.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I've read that some tour pros share this superstition--something about white tees being too similar to OB stakes.

Really? So I'm not an absolute nut job?! You just made my whole day! :-D

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I've been using a 1943 steel penny as a ball mark (sticks to my magnetic hat brim ball mark holder) and since I started using it, my putting and chipping have been noticeably better. ........................................ Of course, the fact that at about the same time, I started weekly practicing my short game for 75 minutes during my kid's First Tee lessons might have a bit more to do with it.... ............................................. Speaking of ball markers, I don't understand using something larger than a penny, not something as big as a dollar coin. And certainly not as big as the freakin' fist-sized Franklin Mint-like collector's antique coins some of the pros claim to use as ball markers. Something that sits up a full 3-4mm off the green is going to knock off course any ball that strikes it - might as well not use a marker in the first place. What is the rule on someone using a ridiculously large and thick ball marker - can you require that player to use something smaller that won't send your ball off at a 45* angle if you hit it? I don't suppose there's any relief from such an interference with a putt, is there? Although I'm sure it's mortifyingly uncool, those super thin plastic markers with the spike on the bottom make the most sense to me since they don't interfere with a ball rolling over them. I'd use them, but for the fact that the magnetic hat ball marker is so much more convenient than having to dig in my pocket through a couple of balls, tees, ball mark repair tool, pencil, etc.... to find a ball marker. ....................... I always look for broken tees on par-3s too - it almost seems wasteful not to recycle an old half tee or risk cutting a perfectly good new one in half. This has bothered a couple of people with whom I've played over the years and not because I'm wasting time hunting for a tee instead of keeping pace of play (which I don't - I'll pull a new one out of my pocket if I don't spot a broken one in a few seconds). I've had two people literally try to force new tees on me on shorter holes, they were so bothered by me using old broken ones. I guess that, in and of itself, must be a form of superstition.

In my bag: - Ping G20 driver, 10.5 deg. S flex - Ping G20 3W, 15 deg., S flex - Nickent 4dx 3H, 4H - Nike Slingshot 4-PW - Adams Tom Watson 52 deg. GW - Vokey 58 deg. SW -Ping Half Wack-E putter

Originally Posted by jetsknicks1

Repair tool & tees go in the right pocket, ball mark in the left. No exceptions.

Me too, but like others have also said, not a superstition.  It's a pain in the ass to try and retrieve anything from a pocket with a glove on, so tees go in the right pocket.  And I hate fumbling through the tees trying to find a stupid coin, so they go in the left pocket.  Not a superstition, but just for fun and to be quirky, I have a couple of 5 Rupee coins from India that I use as markers, as well as a kick-ass TST limited edition that rotates in as well.

No real superstitions though.

Originally Posted by Wisguy

I've been using a 1943 steel penny as a ball mark (sticks to my magnetic hat brim ball mark holder) and since I started using it, my putting and chipping have been noticeably better. ........................................ Of course, the fact that at about the same time, I started weekly practicing my short game for 75 minutes during my kid's First Tee lessons might have a bit more to do with it.... ............................................. Speaking of ball markers, I don't understand using something larger than a penny, not something as big as a dollar coin. And certainly not as big as the freakin' fist-sized Franklin Mint-like collector's antique coins some of the pros claim to use as ball markers. Something that sits up a full 3-4mm off the green is going to knock off course any ball that strikes it - might as well not use a marker in the first place. What is the rule on someone using a ridiculously large and thick ball marker - can you require that player to use something smaller that won't send your ball off at a 45* angle if you hit it? I don't suppose there's any relief from such an interference with a putt, is there? Although I'm sure it's mortifyingly uncool, those super thin plastic markers with the spike on the bottom make the most sense to me since they don't interfere with a ball rolling over them. I'd use them, but for the fact that the magnetic hat ball marker is so much more convenient than having to dig in my pocket through a couple of balls, tees, ball mark repair tool, pencil, etc.... to find a ball marker. ....................... I always look for broken tees on par-3s too - it almost seems wasteful not to recycle an old half tee or risk cutting a perfectly good new one in half. This has bothered a couple of people with whom I've played over the years and not because I'm wasting time hunting for a tee instead of keeping pace of play (which I don't - I'll pull a new one out of my pocket if I don't spot a broken one in a few seconds). I've had two people literally try to force new tees on me on shorter holes, they were so bothered by me using old broken ones. I guess that, in and of itself, must be a form of superstition.

I like a larger heavy coin so I can find it in my pocket quickly. I also keep a couple dimes in with my tees in case I'm marking roughly on someone's line of putt,. If I'm marking more or less directly on their line I ask them which way they want it moved. If I'm not on their line they can suffer. Just like I have to do when paired with people sporting ugly clothing or ridiculous golf swings. I just look away as often as possible.

Originally Posted by k-troop

I do the same, but it's more OCD than superstition.  I never keep anything in my left pocket, because trying to pull something out of your pocket with a glove on is just madness.  I can't clutter my pockets, either:  2 tees, 1 pitchfork, 1 ball mark, and the ball that I'm playing with--no spares (because that would be admitting the possibility that I could have to re-tee).

I am also OCD on the glove in the left and everything else in the right. I have my divot tool, my ball marker, 5 tees (always), and 1 ball in my right pocket.

Note: This thread is 4193 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!