IGNORED

Anchored Putters Rules Change (Effective January 1, 2016)

mvmac
Note: This thread is 2510 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm saying that I think it would help.  I've recorded my swing, and often when I putt I'm moving the putter away from me.  It's something that I have to learn to not do, and I'm assuming that if I had an anchored putter I would probably not do that so much.  It's an assumption.

It may just be how the putter is fit to you.  I had a similar issue before I got fit.  When I started to draw back the putter, it moved away from me about 1/2" or more at the start instead of moving back along the arc.  After I got fit, the length was increased 1/2", the lie decrease quite a bit to 68 deg and the loft to 5 degrees.  This allowed me to have the putter in the proper position for my stroke.  My aim improved as well.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

While the USGA and R&A; are traditionally the governing bodies of the game, the PGA is the cash cow....it is sponsored by a who's who of corporate heavyweights so I would not be so quick to predict that some kind of accommodation may yet be made for the anchored putter players.....we shall see.

The Tour is a cash cow for itself.  That's irrelevant when you are talking about the USGA or the R&A.;  This is simply more chest beating by Finchem to try and show that he's doing more than just sitting on his hands.

• Upvote 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I think it will be denied. The USGA really put down their intent and belief on this. I don't think they will grandfather anyone in. I don't think they should.

Absolutely.  You and fourputt, et. al., are correct.

Look at the "firestorm" caused by seeing a handful of players win majors with an anchored putting style while it was still legal for everybody.  Now think of the ****storm the PGA will be in the middle of once a player wins a major putting with a style that is legal only for a select few.

The day the PGA tour starts adopting different rules for different players is the day the PGA dies.  And the only possible good that could come of that is that Don McLean could write a song about it. :-P

It's starting to look like the anchor putter may well not be obsolete as rumor has it that the PGA is seeking a "Grandfather Clause" which would allow guys like Scott, Keegan Bradley etc. to continue using it...should this become reality one should expect the Champions Tour to follow suit ASAP since so many players use it on that tour including Freddie and Langer.

When did they seek this?  I've only seen the item in which they seek a 15 year delay for recreational golfers.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

How would such a grandfather clause work for the tour?

(US)PGA members only?

Just the (US)PGA tour and not the Euro or Asia?

How does an individual player qualify? No of years or rounds used.

Would a rookie brought up anchoring qualify?

There were no details provided during the telecast. Simply that the PGA was seeking a "Grandfather's Clause". but I would speculate that it might be use of putter over several or more seasons....and as I said previously the PGA is unlikely to be the only pro tour seeking this as the Euro Tour and especially the Champions Tour are loaded with anchored putter users. Personally, I see no reason not to allow the Champions Tour to continue using the long stick as the older guys are truly entertainers -more so than other tours.

BTW: While I too am a senior and  I have always used a traditional length putter (actually rather short by many people's standards at 33 inches) so I do not have any skin in this game, mate!  Just sayin'.

Just sitting here speculating, but this almost sounds to me like the PGA Tour is trying to squeeze something out of this to set a precedent, which they can then cite the next time they want to ignore some rule.  Something like "We got the anchoring grandfathered, so now we want to blow off xxxxxx."  If the USGA/R&A; caves in once, it's that much harder to fight it the next time it comes up.   Look at the stink this issue raised just because some people feel that they didn't act promptly enough to ban anchoring.  If the ruling bodies give the PGA Tour a toehold this time, they lose credibility in the the next battle.

Rick

"~~When did they seek this? I've only seen the item in which they seek a 15 year delay for recreational golfers."

One of the announcers mentioned it in passing during last weekends TV PGA coverage.

Good grief.  Talk about kicking the can down the road!

Absolutely nothing but an unwillingness to deal with the issue on their watch.  Even 15 years from now, there will be those that will have grown up with it, have used nothing else, and will be waiting (and whining) until the last minute to switch.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Just sitting here speculating, but this almost sounds to me like the PGA Tour is trying to squeeze something out of this to set a precedent, which they can then cite the next time they want to ignore some rule.  Something like "We got the anchoring grandfathered, so now we want to blow off xxxxxx."  If the USGA/R&A; caves in once, it's that much harder to fight it the next time it comes up.   Look at the stink this issue raised just because some people feel that they didn't act promptly enough to ban anchoring.  If the ruling bodies give the PGA Tour a toehold this time, they lose credibility in the the next battle.

My guess is they are grandstanding for their membership.  I don't think they believe it has a chance of succeeding in getting grandfathered, but they can say to the members, "welp, we tried!"

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

There were no details provided during the telecast. Simply that the PGA was seeking a "Grandfather's Clause". but I would speculate that it might be use of putter over several or more seasons....and as I said previously the PGA is unlikely to be the only pro tour seeking this as the Euro Tour and especially the Champions Tour are loaded with anchored putter users. Personally, I see no reason not to allow the Champions Tour to continue using the long stick as the older guys are truly entertainers -more so than other tours.

BTW: While I too am a senior and  I have always used a traditional length putter (actually rather short by many people's standards at 33 inches) so I do not have any skin in this game, mate!  Just sayin'.

My guess is they are grandstanding for their membership.  I don't think they believe it has a chance of succeeding in getting grandfathered, but they can say to the members, "welp, we tried!"

Or perhaps @stogiesnbogies just misheard and they were actually reporting that the PGA Tour was in search of a new Grandfather Clock for their headquarters???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Yeah, I had said that above.  This was just an afterthought that seemed like something that Finchem would use if the opportunity presented itself.

Rick

"~~When did they seek this? I've only seen the item in which they seek a 15 year delay for recreational golfers."

One of the announcers mentioned it in passing during last weekends TV PGA coverage.

Ah.  Knowing how well informed the announcers are I suspect they got it confused with the PGA attempt to get a 15 year grandfathering period for recreational players.

http://mobile.golfweek.com/news/2014/jan/09/anchoring-ban-recreational-golfer-pga-argument/

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

It's possible that he was misspeaking and it's also possible that the PGA is making one last effort on behalf of some of their members but then again there are some big name players who represent $$$$ corporate sponsors that use the anchored putter including world #2 Adam Scott ......and there are also guys like Tim Clarke who have congenital conditions that do not make it possible to swing a conventional putter.....so I do suspect that there is still some kind of behind the scenes efforts going on....

It's possible that he was misspeaking and it's also possible that the PGA is making one last effort on behalf of some of their members but then again there are some big name players who represent $$$$ corporate sponsors that use the anchored putter including world #2 Adam Scott ......and there are also guys like Tim Clarke who have congenital conditions that do not make it possible to swing a conventional putter.....so I do suspect that there is still some kind of behind the scenes efforts going on....

Yet they are not stopping him from using a long putter or his current putter. They are just stopping him from using it in a manor in which an end of the putter is fixed to the body. Learn to putt with out it fixed.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Quote:

Originally Posted by stogiesnbogies

Yet they are not stopping him from using a long putter or his current putter. They are just stopping him from using it in a manor in which an end of the putter is fixed to the body. Learn to putt with out it fixed.

And what I don't get is that Clarke can still play normal shots, chip, pitch.  Seems like if he can play a chip with a normal club that there should be no reason that he can't putt too.  I'd be very surprised if anything changes at this point.  The RB's have made it pretty clear, and so far there hasn't been the slightest hint that they are going to back off for any reason.

Rick

Wrong,  I know that a lesson or five would help, but I'm saying that an anchored putter would also probably help some people with the issue that I have.  I personally won't buy an anchored putter (not because of the rule change) because I want to learn how to putt 'properly'.  I push the ball right, which is a swing flaw in my case.  I'm lining the ball up properly when I practice but when I'm putting I'm not properly swinging the putter, and I'm moving it away from my body, I'm ASSUMING :) that an anchored putter would help that flaw a little.

Which you won't have to do if you get together with a golf professional to take a look at your swing plane and find out the cause of it. You don't need an anchored putter.

I used to pull everything left until I took a lesson and found out that I wasn't seeing the line properly. A well struck putt on the proper line felt like a push to me. I had to move my head position to be able to see the line and I wasn't going to find that out on my own. A change of equipment wasn't gong to help either.

Bill M

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

Good!

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 2510 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!