IGNORED

Anchored Putters Rules Change (Effective January 1, 2016)

mvmac
Note: This thread is 2519 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Agreed! Good!

Yep.  I expected nothing less, but it's good to see.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

In looking at the handling, I'd guess that Finchem was advised to make an effort in order to avoid the potential of professional golfers forming some sort of union to fight such battles on their behalf.

Bishop probably just liked all the free press, seeing the PGA name getting some much front page coverage.

Joe Paradiso

What makes the PGA & PGA Tour golfer more deserving of a seat at the table than the millions of other players around the world? Should every national body, European and Asian Tour, state association, other associations and clubs also have this special facility?

What makes the PGA & PGA Tour golfer more deserving of a seat at the table than the millions of other players around the world? Should every national body, European and Asian Tour, state association, other associations and clubs also have this special facility?

Isn't this a decision by the PGA and USGA about what the rules should be in PGA and USGA events?  I don't think the PGA would expect a seat at the table for a Euro Tour rules decision.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

I think it's going to be interesting to see just how soon some players start making the transition back to the shorter putter, I'm wondering if Adam Scott uses it or any other player for that matter up until 1/1/16 it could be a sign that they quite possibly are not going to do well and may fall in rankings/wins from that time on.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Isn't this a decision by the PGA and USGA about what the rules should be in PGA and USGA events?  I don't think the PGA would expect a seat at the table for a Euro Tour rules decision.

The USGA and the R&A; are responsible for the Rules used throughout the world. The USPGA do not write them. All the Tours use the same Rules of Golf book. Why should a small group of American shopkeepers and prima donnas have special status to decide what rules go in the book used by everyone else in the world. There are more golfers in Australia than pros in the world, let alone in the US.

The USGA and the R&A; are responsible for the Rules used throughout the world. The USPGA do not write them. All the Tours use the same Rules of Golf book. Why should a small group of American shopkeepers and prima donnas have special status to decide what rules go in the book used by everyone else in the world. There are more golfers in Australia than pros in the world, let alone in the US.

Maybe I don't understand what's being discussed here.  The Rule was created by the USGA and R&A;, effective 1/1/16.  Then the PGA asked the USGA to consider allowing anchoring in USGA sanctioned amateur events after 1/1/16.  The USGA declined.  Is that not accurate?

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

• Administrator

That didn't happen.

Any organization could have petitioned. And the USGA or R&A; could have just as easily declined to be persuaded by them, too.

Just because one group TRIED to persuade the USGA doesn't mean that the USGA gave them "special status."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

In that case, what does Bishop mean when he writes " both the PGA of America and the PGA TOUR have a more meaningful seat at the Rules table" ?

• Administrator
In that case, what does Bishop mean when he writes[COLOR=FF0000] "[COLOR=282828] both the PGA of America and the PGA TOUR [/COLOR] [COLOR=282828] have a more meaningful seat at the Rules table" ? [/COLOR][/COLOR]

Blowing smoke up the asses of their members.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

In that case, what does Bishop mean when he writes "both the PGA of America and the PGA TOUR have a more meaningful seat at the Rules table" ?

Wasn't the PGA offended that they were not consulted earlier?

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

Wasn't the PGA offended that they were not consulted earlier?

Maybe. But what right have they got to be offended. They were consulted in the same way as everyone else.

Maybe. But what right have they got to be offended. They were consulted in the same way as everyone else.

I think its reasonable for the PGA to expect to be consulted.  Its the premier tour in the world and they likely have a closer relationship with the USGA than tours and organizations based in other parts of the world.

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

• Administrator
I think its reasonable for the PGA to expect to be consulted.  Its the premier tour in the world and they likely have a closer relationship with the USGA than tours and organizations based in other parts of the world.

PGA != PGA Tour (Phone. Sorry for short reply.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rulesman

They don't really have any more right to a say than any other golf organization.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rulesman

Why?  Why should a group which is composed of only a few hundred players (and an infinitessimal percentage of the whole golfing world) have any more say than anyone else.  It's irrelevant that they happen to be pretty good players - that may allow them the opportunity to all be millionaires, but it still doesn't give them the right to set the rules.  There are pretty good players in Europe, in Australia, in Japan, and others scattered around the world.  Why aren't you speaking up for their "rights"?  Your opinion sounds like the opinion of a homer.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

• Administrator
Why?  Why should a group which is composed of only a few hundred players (and an infinitessimal percentage of the whole golfing world) have any more say than anyone else.

Rick, the PGA is not the PGA Tour.

The PGA is 30,000 golf professionals who do a lot of work with the "average golfers." I know you know the difference. The note I posted came from the PGA, not the PGA Tour.

And I could make an argument that you sound like a homer if you want to dismiss the PGA Tour as an unimportant body. They're more important than you'll likely ever admit. :) If they weren't important, companies wouldn't pay what they pay for PGA Tour golfers to play their equipment, for example.

For the record, the PGA Tour already has representation on the USGA Rules Committee, and the European Tour already has representation on the R&A; Rules Committee. And the PGA Tour Rules officials and European Tour Rules officials work closely together. The PGA and the USGA do cooperate in presenting the Rules of Golf Workshops in the US, and do a great job. However, I doubt that Mr. Bishop (PGA, not PGA Tour) made many friends at the USGA with his bombastic news releases and statements.
  • Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 2519 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!