IGNORED

Anchored Putters Rules Change (Effective January 1, 2016)

mvmac
Note: This thread is 2510 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Anchored YES, long NO. Seen a lot of putters for sale at the club after buying both standard and long if they were so easy to use.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I know that I might be in the minority, but I thought most on this site found the ROG to pretty simple and straight forward.

It's pretty obvious from all the discussions and disagreements of ROG on this forum that the rules are not "pretty simple and straight forward".

Quote:

Originally Posted by MEfree

I know that I might be in the minority, but I thought most on this site found the ROG to pretty simple and straight forward.

It's pretty obvious from all the discussions and disagreements of ROG on this forum that the rules are not "pretty simple and straight forward".

Actually, the general playing rules are quite easy to grasp when one makes a small effort to learn them.  Learn the procedures which allow you to lift or substitute a ball during play of a hole and you are better than 90% of the way to playing by the rules.  Know those procedures and follow them scrupulously and you will almost never have to worry about the more obscure or complicated procedures for dealing with breaching those rules.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I use one and personally feel they should not be banned at a social/club level.

I can understand motivation to ban for pro's and amateurs playing in serious/scratch level tournaments - probably should never have been allowed in the first place.

But if they are such an advantage - why are more pro's not using them?

Not going to disagree with you but that ship has sailed.

Go with the arm lock, has worked even better for me - but if too many do it, the crying will begin all over again that we *have an advantage*

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

• Administrator

This is just you being a jerk, dude. Contribute to the discussion - don't bring up your age-old pet peeves or disagreements. Particularly if they're misguided, off-topic, and just plain silly.

The Rules of Golf are pretty darn simple given the variety of conditions, competitions, outside influences, etc. that can take place.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

The Rules of Golf are pretty darn simple given the variety of conditions, competitions, outside influences, etc. that can take place.

I used to agree with this, until a couple hours ago when I took that CBS rules quiz. I think conceptually it's true, right? Most of us understand the fundamentals. But when it comes to how many strokes to penalize for various infractions, and a few other nuances (that I missed on that quiz) it gets a little more complex, at least for me.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

• Administrator
I used to agree with this, until a couple hours ago when I took that CBS rules quiz.

I think conceptually it's true, right? Most of us understand the fundamentals. But when it comes to how many strokes to penalize for various infractions, and a few other nuances (that I missed on that quiz) it gets a little more complex, at least for me.

Let's keep this thread on topic, please. A response or two (particularly to the known rules troll) is fine. But let's nip this in the bud.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Quote:

Originally Posted by No Mulligans

Different rules for pros and amatures would further complicate and confuse things.

Aren't some competitions (like the PGA Tour) held using the one ball rule, while most recreational competition does not have this rule in effect?

It's not a Rule of Golf, it's a Condition of Competition authorized by Appendix I and recommended only for competitions involving expert players.

"Age improves with wine."

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Wishon 755pc 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i & 9i
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

To be honest, I agree with the Ruling Bodies on this one... I believe that Anchored Strokes are not Strokes at all... I have a traditional length putter... I haven't used a long putter or a belly putter on the course... I think those counter weighted putters will pick up popularity with the ban going into effect in basically 5 months now.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

• Administrator
Is the ban for pros applied at the same time as the ban for amateurs?

Yes. And it's a method ban not an equipment ban.

Is the ban for pros applied at the same time as the ban for amateurs?

Although the USGA & R&A; differentiate between pros and amateurs in the Rules of Amateur Status, the Rules of Golf do not make any distinction.

• Administrator
Although the USGA & R&A; differentiate between pros and amateurs in the Rules of Amateur Status, the Rules of Golf do not make any distinction.

Yes but they did in their recommendation for when to implement the CoC for wedges/grooves. I took his question as asking something similar to that.

Has anybody tried just cutting a couple of inches off the shaft like suggested in this video?

It kind of makes me laugh that the guy misses 2/3 putts at the end.

I love my old 48 inch Ping Scottsdale Pickemup Long Putter. It looks like you can get one for $50 bucks now.

http://www.revolutiongolf.com/instruction/video-collections/experts/experts/jim-mclean/videos/getting-around-the-anchoring-ban

Has anybody tried just cutting a couple of inches off the shaft like suggested in this video?

It kind of makes me laugh that the guy misses 2/3 putts at the end.

I love my old 48 inch Ping Scottsdale Pickemup Long Putter. It looks like you can get one for $50 bucks now.

http://www.revolutiongolf.com/instruction/video-collections/experts/experts/jim-mclean/videos/getting-around-the-anchoring-ban

2 comments, first he said "all the sudden" they are banning the anchored putt.... Really? "All the sudden?' Second, he was putting at a coin *actually a poker chip* and all 3 of those putts would likely have went in. One issue with cutting a couple of inches off the putter is that the change in swing weight may cause more problems for the person.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

• 1 year later...

Wasn't sure which old thread to bump so hopefully I chose wisely.

Anyway, I was watching the Senior PGA a little last week and it sort of dawned on me that Bernhard Langer hasn't seemed to be phased in the least by the rules change.  He just keeps on winning.  All he seemed to do was to just move the hand that was anchored against the chest ever so slightly away from the chest such that it wasn't anchored anymore.  Now, I don't know how his putting stats have changed, but he certainly still seems to be winning.

I will admit that on at least one occasion, I pondered just how much he actually moved his hand - because it's really hard to tell on tv.  Then this popped up on my facebook feed today:

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/hank-haney-rekindles-debate-over-the-legality-of-bernhard-langers-putting-stroke?mbid=social_facebook

For reference and to keep anybody from having to backtrack into this 107 page thread, here's the handy chart:

understanding-anchored-strokes.jpg

The .gif in the tweet appears to be a portion of a practice stroke, so it's possible that it's meaningless, but one can wonder if his forearm is against his chest there and then see "Note 2" in the above graphic.

Edited by Golfingdad

• Administrator

He says he moves it off his chest. He has shown it to rules officials and they've okayed it.

Note: This thread is 2510 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!