IGNORED

Anchored Putters Rules Change (Effective January 1, 2016)

mvmac
Note: This thread is 2519 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by bplewis24

How is it a tired argument?  It has merit that hasn't been challenged on any direct level in any argument I've seen to date.  Is anybody here willing to challenge it on the merits?  Is an anchored stroke and a non-anchored stroke fundamentally and mechanically the same?  Does one promote a different mechanic in order to put a consistent strike on the ball?

Again, the croquet style Sam Snead was banned from using was a stroke by your definition.
What happened?

Driver: Ping K15 10°, Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 63g Stiff
Fairway 4-wood: TaylorMade RocketBallz Tour TP 17.5°, Matrix Ozik TP7HD S shaft

Hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 3H-4H, Aldila DVS Stiff
Irons: MIURA PP-9003, Dynamic Gold Superlite S300, Sand Wedge: Scratch 8620 56°
Putter: Nike Method Concept Belly 44"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B330-S

Originally Posted by JerseyThursday

Again, the croquet style Sam Snead was banned from using was a stroke by your definition.

What happened?

Straddling the line of the putt.

Bill M

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by phan52

Straddling the line of the putt.

Was anything anchored? Was he making a stroke?

Was anything anchored? Was he making a stroke?

It's a different rule. You cannot straddle the line of a putt.

He eventually started putting side saddle, leaning way over the putt from the side.

Bill M

• Administrator
Originally Posted by meenman

Why would you be *happy* about the decision? How has that one person that you saw anchoring a putter affected your life/golf game?

I'm happy about it. I've been arguing that the practice should be banned for almost a decade. I'm "happy" because I think that the Rules will more properly reflect what I feel is the inherent nature and method for playing the game.

The rules regarding putting are convoluted to say the least.

I disagree. I think they're really simple.

Originally Posted by JerseyThursday

The tired argument that a “stroke” shouldn’t involve the club anchoring with anything but your hands doesn’t hold true when hitting a putt croquet style. For some reason that was made illegal.

It's a "tired" argument now? Croquet straddles the line of the putt. The Sam Snead photo is actually sidesaddle, which you'll note has no anchoring and is a free swinging stroke. It looks odd but I don't think it's problematic.

Sidesaddle. Perfectly legal in 2016.

Originally Posted by Texian

The USGA must think we're idiots, which we are if we believe that this is "about the stroke, and not the equipment."

Uh, if you say so. It's about the stroke in my opinion.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

I disagree. I think they're really simple.

So, if you your hand/thumb grazes your chest (or shirt? or pants?) while using the “permitted stroke” you now get a two stroke penalty.

That really simplified things and should be a lot of fun to enforce.

Originally Posted by mchepp

Seems Odyssey has done that.

http://www.putterzone.com/2012/11/odyssey-metal-x-arm-lock-putters.html

That is interesting.  Without having tried that, it seems like it would be very uncomfortable...at least at first.

Originally Posted by zeg

I don't use a long putter, I don't have any friends who use a long putter, and I don't foresee either of these ever changing.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Uh, if you say so. It's about the stroke in my opinion.

Then you're choosing to ignore the inconsistency in the USGA's "explanation" graphic that calls a stroke anchored with two forearms touching the body with a short putter legal and one with one forearm touching the body with a long putter illegal.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion. Obviously, the ones in the USGA and R&A; who think like you have more votes.

That aside, I enjoy the forum and look forward to other discussions.

Croquet straddles the line of the putt. The Sam Snead photo is actually sidesaddle, which you'll note has no anchoring and is a free swinging stroke. It looks odd but I don't think it's problematic.

It's about the stroke in my opinion

Straddling the putt also “has no anchoring and is a free swinging stroke”. So it’s no longer about the “stroke” it’s about the angle your body is positioned to the ball?

And, that's not convoluted?

Originally Posted by bplewis24

That is interesting.  Without having tried that, it seems like it would be very uncomfortable...at least at first.

I think that is almost exactly how Matt Kuchar currently putts.

Then you're choosing to ignore the inconsistency in the USGA's "explanation" graphic that calls a stroke anchored with two forearms touching the body with a short putter legal and one with one forearm touching the body with a long putter illegal.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion. Obviously, the ones in the USGA and R&A; who think like you have more votes.

Well, if you want to get that picky about it, then all shots are anchored because my hand bone is connected to my arm bone, and my arm bone is connected to my shoulder bone, etc, etc.

I don't find the distinction to be that difficult to understand at all (that is if you are trying, and not just being contrarian for fun).  You cannot create an anchored PIVOT POINT.

In the example in red, his forearm is braced such that his left hand can act like a pendulum, just as if he braced it against his chest or chin.

In the blue example, the forearms are braced against the side of the body, but there is no pivot point that the club is being anchored to ... you still have to swing it with either your shoulders or wrists.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Quote:

Well, if you want to get that picky about it, then all shots are anchored because my hand bone is connected to my arm bone, and my arm bone is connected to my shoulder bone, etc, etc.

I don't find the distinction to be that difficult to understand at all (that is if you are trying, and not just being contrarian for fun).  You cannot create an anchored PIVOT POINT.

In the example in red, his forearm is braced such that his left hand can act like a pendulum, just as if he braced it against his chest or chin.

In the blue example, the forearms are braced against the side of the body, but there is no pivot point that the club is being anchored to ... you still have to swing it with either your shoulders or wrists.

It's the same old tired attitude.  Some people just have to defy authority, and when that doesn't work, then they bitch.  The possibility that anyone can tell them what they can do on the golf course is untenable to them.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Why would you be *happy* about the decision? How has that one person that you saw anchoring a putter affected your life/golf game? They are more prevalent at my club (myself included) - the odd thing is I see all broom sticks and no belly putters. I am guessing the belly ones are what caused this to begin with.

Because I think that is the proper way the game should be played. [quote name="JerseyThursday" url="/t/62766/anchored-putters-rules-change-was-decision-coming-soon/300_100#post_788531"] So, if you your hand/thumb grazes your chest (or shirt? or pants?) while using the “permitted stroke” you now get a two stroke penalty. That really simplified things and should be a lot of fun to enforce.[/quote] Grazing the chest is probably not intentional? Shirt and pants are not a part of your body. [QUOTE]Note 1: The club is anchored “directly” when the player intentionally holds the club or a gripping hand in contact with any part of his body, except that the player may hold the club or a gripping hand against a hand or forearm.[/QUOTE] Unintentionally grazing a part of your body can happen, but it doesn't give you a two stroke penalty.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Straddling the putt also “has no anchoring and is a free swinging stroke”. So it’s no longer about the “stroke” it’s about the angle your body is positioned to the ball?

It's a different rule, governing a different principle.  You're conflating two separate issues.

It's like saying that there should be no rule against grounding a club in a hazard because it's still "has no anchoring and is a free swinging stroke."

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

• Administrator

So, if you your hand/thumb grazes your chest (or shirt? or pants?) while using the “permitted stroke” you now get a two stroke penalty.

I'd love to know what thesaurus has "accidentally grazing" as a synonym for "anchored." And again, Potter Stewart.

No I'm not. The PUTTER is not simply rotating around a fixed axis point.

I find "you can't straddle the line of any stroke" pretty simple. Again, perhaps your thesaurus is screwed up. Are you sure you're not looking at the antonyms for "anchored" and "convoluted"? Beyond that I'll defer to bplews24's post just above mine.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by mchepp

Seems Odyssey has done that.

http://www.putterzone.com/2012/11/odyssey-metal-x-arm-lock-putters.html

Awesome, no wonder they are the "#1 Putter In Golf"  Now I don't have to make one they had one ready for me.

Regards,

Big Wave

Golf is the only sport in which a thorough knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship - Patrick Campbell.

Straddling is specifically about Rule 16-1e. No more no less.

Originally Posted by Fourputt

It's the same old tired attitude.  Some people just have to defy authority, and when that doesn't work, then they bitch.  The possibility that anyone can tell them what they can do on the golf course is untenable to them.

Nailed it.

Note: This thread is 2519 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!