IGNORED

Anchored Putters Rules Change (Effective January 1, 2016)

mvmac
Note: This thread is 2512 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by JerseyThursday

Name one pro player that said I putt better with an anchored putter but choose not to do so based on principle.

I mentioned Tom Watson earlier. No, I cannot vouch that he ever said "I putt better with an anchored but choose not to do so based on principle," but I never saw him use it in competition. Maybe he fiddled around with it in practice, I don't know.

But Watson also struggled mightily with his putting for a long time. If anyone needed to try it, it would have been Tom. But he never did. Instead he practiced his ass off putting conventionally...until he won again.

I would be very interesting in hearing his comments on the ruling. Bet he totally supports it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave67az

And if they don't give an advantage, would you care to explain how the percentage of players in the top-ten who use them (30%) is far higher than the overall percentage of PGA pros that use them?  Seems to me if it didn't provide any significant advantage then the percentages should be about equal, right?

By that pretzel logic, the 70% that don’t use them would be even better if they switched.

Jersey you left off the "I'm right and you're wrong so nany nany boo boo".

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'll agree it's not a magic wand, but given your passionate objection here to the rule change you must view not being able to anchor the putter as a detriment to your game and ability to score.

I doubt anyone just grabs a long / belly putter, anchors it to their body and starts sinking every putt they hit, but for some, like yourself, after practice they might find that they are more consistent with an anchored stroke than they ever were without.

The more passionately you argue that it's a bad or unfair rule, the more you convince me that there's an advantage for you and most likely anyone else that uses one.

No, I’m saying for every Langer I could example 5 other pros who were having putting problems, tried the anchored putter, and still had putting problems.

It’s not a magic wand.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by newtogolf

I'll agree it's not a magic wand, but given your passionate objection here to the rule change you must view not being able to anchor the putter as a detriment to your game and ability to score.

I doubt anyone just grabs a long / belly putter, anchors it to their body and starts sinking every putt they hit, but for some, like yourself, after practice they might find that they are more consistent with an anchored stroke than they ever were without.

The more passionately you argue that it's a bad or unfair rule, the more you convince me that there's an advantage for you and most likely anyone else that uses one.

Well put.

And here's another example of how it WAS a "magic wand" for one guy...

-----

Azinger still doesn’t know what made him try it at his home club in Florida toward the end of 1999. There was a longer putter that had been made for someone much shorter than him. For some reason, he stuck the end of the putter into his belly button.

“I was making stuff all over the pro shop,” Azinger said.

He switched the putter head to one he liked. He changed the lie and angle. He moved the ball back in his stance and put more weight on his right leg to make him feel anchored.

“I was instantly better,” Azinger said. “[Legendary PGA instructor] Paul Runyan watched me putting in 2000 and said it was the best single-lever action putting stroke he’d ever seen. To this day, I don’t know what that means. But when I grabbed that thing, I became a better putter. And I was back in the Ryder Cup and the Presidents Cup and in the top 20 in the world.”

Originally Posted by jamo

I doubt he wants guys with short putters to beat him too.

Did you see Tiger's interview at the end of yesterday's coverage of his event? He went into pretty good detail about why he's opposed.

I didn't see it, but I was told long ago by a journalism professor that "If your mother says she loves you, check it out."

It would have had to be outstandingly convincing for me to not believe the real reason is because he wants to break Jack's record and doesn't want to keep getting beat in majors by guys using long putters.

Let's say you've figured out Tigers actual motives, so what?  Everyone wants to win, the guys using anchored putting strokes made the switch because they felt it gave them a better chance to beat Tiger.

You want the rule to be overturned so you can continue to use anchored putting to win against your buddies and possibly take more of their money.

Originally Posted by Texian

I didn't see it, but I was told long ago by a journalism professor that "If your mother says she loves you, check it out."

It would have had to be outstandingly convincing for me to not believe the real reason is because he wants to break Jack's record and doesn't want to keep getting beat in majors by guys using long putters.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by turtleback

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

The Pro Tours are supposed to be composed of the best players in the world, not just the best players who can't putt.  Players who use the belly or broomstick putters do so because they perceive it as an advantage to them.  If they can't take the heat for the next three years, then they better start to work in the off season and figure it out.  These guys have crazy hand eye coordination or they wouldn't be on Tour in the first place.  There is no way that they shouldn't be able to find a solution within the boundaries of the new stroke definition.

That may be true, but no one should be called a cheater for doing something that is clearly allowed in the rules at this time.

It may not be right, but it is typical fan behavior.  I certainly don't condone it, but if you play in front of a gallery, you have to be prepared for some negative reactions, especially to a topic which clearly gets some people on a very emotional level.

Originally Posted by sacm3bill

Quote:

Originally Posted by bplewis24

http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/8699495/keegan-bradley-called-cheater-fan-using-belly-putter-world-challenge

I guess we'll see a few more stories like this over the next 12 months...although it doesn't appear to be that big of a deal.

Wow, USGA felt the need to come out with a statement in response:  http://blogs.golf.com/presstent/2012/12/keegan-bradley-heckled-for-belly-putter-usga-responds.html.

From that:

Quote:

Originally Posted by USGA

"We are sorry that Keegan had to experience this unfounded criticism from an obviously uneducated spectator..."

I don't think that's obvious at all. More likely one of the many people who have always felt it *should* be cheating and are just in the habit of shouting things like that.

See above.  A few beers and an apparent preconceived dislike for the method is all it takes.  It's too bad that inappropriate fan interaction has become so accepted in golf - see the 16th at Scotsdale.  Spectacles like that just encourage bad behavior.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

• Administrator

Oh brother.

You know what they say about those who assume?

The more assumptions you make based on OTHER assumptions, the more that old saying becomes true.

You're assuming that Tiger wanted the rule changed because he felt he couldn't beat people with the anchored putter (never mind that he'll still have to do it for three more years, and has had to do it for the first 15 years of his career, albeit to a lesser extent).

Then you're assuming that his input had anything at all to do with the USGA's AND the R&A;'s future change to the rules.

Whatevs.

Originally Posted by Fourputt

It may not be right, but it is typical fan behavior.  I certainly don't condone it, but if you play in front of a gallery, you have to be prepared for some negative reactions, especially to a topic which clearly gets some people on a very emotional level.

I don't think you have to "be prepared" to be called a "cheater" for doing something that's perfectly legal and WILL BE for three+ more years. That word matters a LOT in golf. People still talk about Vijay Singh. Gary Player. Colin Montgomerie. Even Arnie at the Masters.

Yelling that was inexcusable.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by newtogolf .

So, if Luke Donald got one and practiced a lot with it he would be even a better putter?

Driver: Ping K15 10°, Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 63g Stiff
Fairway 4-wood: TaylorMade RocketBallz Tour TP 17.5°, Matrix Ozik TP7HD S shaft

Hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 3H-4H, Aldila DVS Stiff
Irons: MIURA PP-9003, Dynamic Gold Superlite S300, Sand Wedge: Scratch 8620 56°
Putter: Nike Method Concept Belly 44"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B330-S

So, if Luke Donald got one and practiced a lot with it he would be even a better putter?

I don't know anyone who claimed it would make ANYONE a better putter.

Every argument that I've heard has stated that it eliminates the "yips" and other problems that some players have.

So if we assume that Luke Donald suffers from an inability to control involuntary muscle movements under high pressure situations, then yes, it could eliminate that problem (or most certainly minimize it).

I don't see the point, Luke didn't switch to one because he's the best putter on Tour this year and doesn't need to mess with what's working.

Will Keegan Bradley and Ernie Els become worse putters when they can't use an anchored stroke?

Joe Paradiso

You want the rule to be overturned so you can continue to use anchored putting to win against your buddies and possibly take more of their money.

This has been a long thread, so I understand your not seeing this. But I've said about three times (the thread is too long for me to go back and count) that although I use a long putter, I don't "anchor." My stroke is and will continue to be legal under the proposed change.

My only concern about this is that I may unintentionally brush my torso on a stroke, one of my buddies may claim it's a violation, and we'll have to take it to the U. S. Supreme Court and have them decide my "intent."

Any lawyer will tell you that "intent" is extremely difficult to prove. From some of the discussions we've had, it seems that about 80 percent of the people on here must be lawyers.

This has been a long thread, so I understand your not seeing this. But I've said about three times (the thread is too long for me to go back and count) that although I use a long putter, I don't "anchor." My stroke is and will continue to be legal under the proposed change.

My only concern about this is that I may unintentionally brush my torso on a stroke, one of my buddies may claim it's a violation, and we'll have to take it to the U. S. Supreme Court and have them decide my "intent."

Any lawyer will tell you that "intent" is extremely difficult to prove. From some of the discussions we've had, it seems that about 80 percent of the people on here must be lawyers.

It doesn't take a lawyer to know the difference between "anchored against the body" or "brushing against the body" and "intent" has absolutely NOTHING to do with it.

Are you saying you don't understand the difference?

I don't see the point, Luke didn't switch to one because he's the best putter on Tour this year and doesn't need to mess with what's working.

Will Keegan Bradley and Ernie Els become worse putters when they can't use an anchored stroke?

You don’t get the point?
You said it could make ANYONE a BETTER putter.

Would Luke Donald and Brandt Snedeker become worse putters with anchored stroke?

Loose fitting shirts and big guts should add to the fun of rulings.

Originally Posted by iacas

Oh brother.

You know what they say about those who assume?

The more assumptions you make based on OTHER assumptions, the more that old saying becomes true.

You're assuming that Tiger wanted the rule changed because he felt he couldn't beat people with the anchored putter (never mind that he'll still have to do it for three more years, and has had to do it for the first 15 years of his career, albeit to a lesser extent).

Then you're assuming that his input had anything at all to do with the USGA's AND the R&A;'s future change to the rules.

Whatevs.

I'm not "assuming" anything. Based on my experience and understanding of human nature, I'm "reasoning" that that is more likely to be his motive than his altruistic love of the game. I admit I could be wrong, and will do so if Tiger will agree to a polygraph test. I doubt he'll do it.

Originally Posted by zipazoid

I mentioned Tom Watson earlier. No, I cannot vouch that he ever said "I putt better with an anchored but choose not to do so based on principle," but I never saw him use it in competition. Maybe he fiddled around with it in practice, I don't know.

Then why use that example? And I’m the one accused of making stuff up.

So you use a legal stroke, but you're opposed to the rule because your golf buddies might accuse you of an illegal stroke because you brushed against your torso unintentionally (I'll assume for both our sakes the rest of the post is sarcasm).  Really?  I'd find new golf buddies if they are so untrusting that they'd call you on a penalty that's clearly not.

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 2512 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!