IGNORED

Anchored Putters Rules Change (Effective January 1, 2016)

mvmac
Note: This thread is 2513 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
Originally Posted by newtogolf

What I think will be most interesting is to see how the anchored putter guys handle the rule change.  Will they wait until 2016 or make the switch immediately.  Will also be interesting to see how the change affects their scores.  Some guys used a traditional putting stroke first so they will be more comfortable going back to it, but I'd think guys like Bradley will have a tougher time making the switch.

If I were them, I'd do this:

2013 - Putt with my belly putter. Occasionally mess around with short putter.

2014 - Putt with my belly putter. Mess around during off-season and off weeks with short putter. Maybe pull out the short putter for an event or three at the end of the year (fall series stuff).

2015 - Putt with belly putter and short putter in PGA Tour events, moving more towards the short putter as the year went on.

2016 - Short putter! :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Makes sense as rushing to the short putter could cost some their pro card.  I wonder how those that continue to use the anchored stroke after the rule change is announced will be treated by the galleries and if they will feel more self conscious given the rules committees basically will have ruled that the stroke is illegal and after 2016 would be considered cheating.

Originally Posted by iacas

2014 - Putt with my belly putter. Mess around during off-season and off weeks with short putter. Maybe pull out the short putter for an event or three at the end of the year (fall series stuff).

2015 - Putt with belly putter and short putter in PGA Tour events, moving more towards the short putter as the year went on.

Joe Paradiso

In my  bag:

Driver, Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 9.5 stiff

3, 5 woods: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15,18 degrees Stiff

2 hybrid: Callaway Diable Edge Tour 18 degrees R (out when the 5 wood is in)

3,6 hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 21 S and 30 degrees R

4,5 hybrids: Callaway Razr X HL 24 and 27 degrees Stiff

7-AW irons: Callaway Razr HL graphite R shafts 

SW 54 Callaway X Series Jaws CC Slate Fujikura Graphite Stiff

Putter: Odessey White Ice 1 Blade Putter. 

Ball...looking for any ball that hates water, sand, long grass, and getting lost in the woods. 

I can't find any, so forced to use ones that seem to love all the above. 

I'd expect Scott and others to defend their putting style as they currently depend on it to put food on their tables.  Woods hasn't said or done anything more than Arnie has for year, he's provided a personal opinion on the topic when asked.

Originally Posted by Derrick Parker

I find this interesting

http://www.sbnation.com/golf/2012/11/6/3609908/tiger-woods-adam-scott-belly-putters

Joe Paradiso

Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

Too much common sense involved

More from Scott It definitely seems that the players that use long putters don't get that the rules change is revolves around the definition of a golf stroke not that it's easier to putt with.  They'll say the 460cc titanium driver are easier to hit than an older driver so why not outlaw the modern driver.  Missing the point.

Quote:

I don't believe it would be a hard thing for me to go back to the short putter," Scott, 32, said in a recent interview , parts of which are in the December issue of Golf Magazine. "I could do it this week, and I think I would putt better than I did in 2010 and 2009.  The long putter has taught me how to putt again

They've got to look beyond professional golf. The governing bodies don't run the Tour; they run golf. Some recreational golfers can't play the game without a long putter. I think that would be a shame if they're going to take people away from the game. I'm sure that's not their intention, but it'll be interesting to see what they come up with.

[The rule change] seems like it's being pushed by some players, so could we push for the rules to be changed on other clubs -- hybrids, for example?"

Yeah, I think some people definitely have a problem with guys putting with a belly putter or a long putter," he says. "That's because they haven't putted well with it, or they haven't tried it. That's part of my argument -- it's still a learned skill. It's not like you just pick it up and make putts. You have to learn how to use it.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Phil Mickelson offers his opinion on the anchoring ban.  Phil used a belly putter briefly during the '11 Fed Ex Cup Playoffs and he's buddies with Keegan Bradley.

Quote:

“It’s not an issue that I’m involved with, (but) I understand both sides,” he said Wednesday at The Barclays Singapore Open, according to the AFP . “It’s just that I don’t think you can take away what you’ve allowed players to use, practice and play with for 30 years. I think it is grossly unfair.”

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I personally would like the governing bodies to focus on other rules that are (in my humble opinion) bad for the game.  One example is grazing a blade of grass or leaf while in a hazard.  Another one is when a ball oscillates slightly when you have addressed it on the green or in the fairway.  These are just 2 examples that in no way improves your lie or stroke but is a penalty under the current rules.  As for the topic though I personally do not like the anchored putters but I don't feel it gives players an unfair advantage.  Full disclosure, I do not and never have used an anchored putter.

Beachcomber... I just heard on the Golf Channel that the decision will be made before the end of the calendar year.

• Upvote 1

I understand Phil's logic, but it's not like the rule would impact golfers overnight.

Also, by that logic other equipment changes would be unfair as well.  But as long as they are uniform, it will be equitable.  And again, if anchoring a putter offers no advantage, then it shouldn't matter.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyTNgolfer View Post

I personally would like the governing bodies to focus on other rules that are (in my humble opinion) bad for the game.  One example is grazing a blade of grass or leaf while in a hazard.  Another one is when a ball oscillates slightly when you have addressed it on the green or in the fairway.  These are just 2 examples that in no way improves your lie or stroke but is a penalty under the current rules.  As for the topic though I personally do not like the anchored putters but I don't feel it gives players an unfair advantage.  Full disclosure, I do not and never have used an anchored putter.

Beachcomber... I just heard on the Golf Channel that the decision will be made before the end of the calendar year.

Um.... neither of the examples you cited is a breach unless the blade of grass or leaf is detached and lying loose, AND your ball lies in a water hazard or bunker.  Brushing grass or brush or weeds which are still attached or growing is never a penalty unless in the process you do something to improve your lie or the area of your intended swing.  The ball oscillating is also not a penalty.  It's only a penalty if it moves .   The definition of Move from the Rules of Golf:

Quote:

Move Or Moved

A ball is deemed to have “ moved ’’ if it leaves its position and comes to rest in any other place.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I just do not understand the problem with the rule changes. I played university hockey, and have been training athletes for years now. So many changes came down the pipes through the years, that I could not name them all if I tried. Never have I seen lawsuits over rule changes, it is just absurd. I am 6'4, and 245 pounds. I was one of the roughest defenseman that minor hockey, AAA, and university hockey had ever seen. Not just rough, but dirty. A McSorley who could actually play hockey.

I had to alter my playstyle drasticly over the years. I grew up in an era where going for the head was just what you did. It wasn't a good check unless you caught the jaw with it. The instigator rule affected me also, because back then, fighting was a part of hockey. I mean, our teams paid for us to train in boxing gyms, and coaches pointed out who they wanted 'taken out'. When rules changed, I didn't threaten lawsuits because my style of play had to change. I changed my style of play.

Rules change. Governing bodies have a right to do that. If they feel something is not in line with the spirit of the game, then it is up to them to change it. It is their right.

• Upvote 1

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

I have no use for belly putters. But then I have no use for a 460cc driver, either. However, if other golfers do like these things and choose to use them, then that's up to them.

Not sure how you can attempt to roll back innovation in golf equipment. Sure, you could say that everyone has to play persimmon, blades, and balata - but all you'd be doing then would be rolling back time to technologies that were "cutting edge" in the 1960s, and hence a huge improvement over the hickory of the 1920s or whatever...

I guess what I'm saying is that you can't "put the genie back in the bottle."

It seems that manufacturers have tried (so they'd tell us) to make this game easier ever since it was conceived. Still difficult though, isn't it? Belly putters, spring-faced drivers, whatever else....none of it really matters, you can't buy yourself a golf game, all you can do is buy the equipment that seems to work best for you and your swing. It's not as though anyone is coming for my traditional-looking bladed putter and forcing me to play with one of those outlandish-looking putters I seem to see in pro shops everywhere these days, so depriving other players of the equipment they choose to use strikes me as an odd idea for leveling the playing field - not that I'm certain the playing field needs leveling.

Uniform changes are not equitable. For example imagine they banned left handed golf swings (after all they look stupid ).  Would you be willing to say that if left handed play didn't offer an advantage, then the change wouldn't matter? I doubt it. The belly guys have spent time on a skill that was rendered useless by the change.

Now that doesn't mean the change shouldn't be done. It just means that it will impact some players more than others. But so did the 460 driver, graphite shafts, the modern golf ball, and a ton of other changes through the years.

Personally it seems to me the evidence that belly putter, long putters, mallet putters, heavy putters, left hand low, claw, and so on are actually better putting techniques is minimal at best.  They helps some people and hurts others.

As far as making golf fun for the average guy, belly putters have basically zero effect. No on starting the game plays one.   The old guys do use a lot more long putters but it isn't clear to me if they will be banned by this ruling.

If they really wanted something to help the high handicapper and speed up play, legalize butter on the driver. Cutting the side spin by 2/3s would change the game drastically for pretty much anyone that can't break 100. Obviously I am a bit tongue in cheek about that.

Originally Posted by bplewis24

I understand Phil's logic, but it's not like the rule would impact golfers overnight.

Also, by that logic other equipment changes would be unfair as well.  But as long as they are uniform it will be equitable.  And again, if anchoring a putter offers no advantage, then it shouldn't matter.

Originally Posted by ApocG10

I just do not understand the problem with the rule changes. I played university hockey, and have been training athletes for years now. So many changes came down the pipes through the years, that I could not name them all if I tried. Never have I seen lawsuits over rule changes, it is just absurd. I am 6'4, and 245 pounds. I was one of the roughest defenseman that minor hockey, AAA, and university hockey had ever seen. Not just rough, but dirty. A McSorley who could actually play hockey.

I had to alter my playstyle drasticly over the years. I grew up in an era where going for the head was just what you did. It wasn't a good check unless you caught the jaw with it. The instigator rule affected me also, because back then, fighting was a part of hockey. I mean, our teams paid for us to train in boxing gyms, and coaches pointed out who they wanted 'taken out'. When rules changed, I didn't threaten lawsuits because my style of play had to change. I changed my style of play.

Rules change. Governing bodies have a right to do that. If they feel something is not in line with the spirit of the game, then it is up to them to change it. It is their right.

Well posted and I have to say, wow!  I've never played ice hockey but followed it closely in Boston in the '73-74.  I knew it was a rough game and I don't wish to seem naive but ..... wow.

As you say, rules changes are common in many sports and have happened often in golf over the years.  Fundamentally the present case is nothing different.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Originally Posted by ApocG10

I agree.  It seems pretty absurd to me too, and somewhat petulant in the case of guys who just switched recently and are still implying they would bring legal action.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by Chas

Well posted and I have to say, wow!  I've never played ice hockey but followed it closely in Boston in the '73-74.  I knew it was a rough game and I don't wish to seem naive but ..... wow.

As you say, rules changes are common in many sports and have happened often in golf over the years.  Fundamentally the present case is nothing different.

Nice. I've been a lifelong Bruins fan. Bobby Orr was my Idol, along with Ray Bourque.

Ya, hockey was a rough sport until the late '90's. I don't care what anyone says, i've played hockey my whole life, and follow both Rugby and football. Those sports have some hard hitting, but nothing compared to checking 'up' into someone's jaw at 40kmh coming at you at the same speed with their head down. I mean, playing Peewee AAA (the youngest checking league in east coast canada), I broke a guys neck in two places when I checked him into the boards, and didn't even get a penalty.

Had to leave the rink with with my whole team at my back though, cuz we were in their hometown, and the fans wanted blood. But that was just Canadian hockey. That is the way we played the game. I'm glad it changed, personally. I took pride in it back then, but looking back, I can see the permanent damage we could have caused. Especially since my defense partner, who I playeded with from 4yo, to 23yo in university, was as big and mean as I was. Nobody got checked for concussions back then. The trainer asked how many fingers he was holding up, and as long as you were within one or two, you were good to play.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

• Administrator
Originally Posted by GeorgiaGolfer

Not sure how you can attempt to roll back innovation in golf equipment.

They're not. They're tightening the definition of a "stroke."

That ends up being a very different thing.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Yeah, ask James Harrison what he thinks of the NFL rule changes and how he's liked being fined over $100K for flagrant fouls after years of them being legal hits.

Originally Posted by bplewis24

I agree.  It seems pretty absurd to me too, and somewhat petulant in the case of guys who just switched recently and are still implying they would bring legal action.

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 2513 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!