IGNORED

Anchored Putters Rules Change (Effective January 1, 2016)

mvmac
Note: This thread is 2512 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

That's fine, but if you continue to putt with an anchored stroke, your handicap will no longer have any meaning or validity.  That 11 will once again just be a number between 10 and 12.

I'm 67 years old and got the yips about 10-12 years ago.  I started trying every putter I could get my hands on, as long as I didn't have to pay for it, and eventually found one that a buddy built from components bought at Golfsmith.  I played 9 holes with his putter and had 5 one putt greens.  I had him  build one for me and I've used it ever since.  I'm a better putter now than I was when I was 30.  No yips, and I putt with confidence.  Standard length putter, funny looking but legal clubhead.  It has a bit more of a "dead" feel than any other putter I've ever used, and that makes me strike the ball a little more firmly, which helps me to putt aggressively even on short, fast putts.  I also use a relatively short backswing on shorter putts, which also helps to promote an aggressive stroke with a good follow through.

@Fourputt , can you post a picture of this putter head?  I am curious.

It will be interesting to see what Adam Scott does.  He anchors now and I'm not sure if he will be able to convert to not anchoring with that long putter.

Yeah, Scotty is the first guy that comes to mind right? To be honest, he misses some very makable putts with that anchored stroke. I wonder how bad he had to be with a traditional stroke (and putter) for him to stick with that style. I could see him going the Kucher route. Same with Keegan Bradley.

Excellent @Fourputt !  I am a Star Trek fan too!  But I think I'll stick with my Anser style putter.

I think that one of the reasons I like it is because I grew into the game using Titleist balata balls, and that putter makes a modern ball feel a lot like balata.  I have tried the TM Spider mentioned above, and really liked the way I was able to hit my line, but it was a still a little more "clicky", so I didn't get the same feel with short putts as I do with the Enterprise.  That and the fact that it was $200 vs. just over $70 was the real clincher.  I have no regrets.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

After doing some web research, I have two legal options to playing with my long putter (no anchoring). I found both options watching a video from the Golf Channel's website instructional segment, The Golf Fix. I will start practicing at home and at the course, weather permitting. Two years to perfect a new putting stroke. But my goal will be to change to a legal stroke this year.

It's a milled aluminum body with a black insert.  The 2 "warp engines" are stainless steel.  I know that it looks like a gimmick, but it works for us old guys with the yips.  I've known 2 other guys who absolutely swear by it.  But not everyone who has tried mine has liked it.  The "dead" feel does take some getting used to.

Interestingly, it's no longer available from Golfsmith.  That photo was from a seller called Golf Link.  They have it available for $49.97.  When I had mine made, the head alone cost more than that.  Mine was built for $72

I bought that same exact putter 2 years ago from our handicap chairman at a garage sale for $10 at his house. I bought it for the same exact reasons well not exactly I was just not comfortable with the greens at the course and I thought a mallet would be better for me at the time. I loved the way this putter would line up very similar to the TM Daddy LL's except the black insert didn't have the feel I was looking for it felt "weak" coming off the face and at first I thought I was missing the center so I took some yellow paint and put it on the ball and I was hitting the middle. Maybe I should have given it more time but I traded it in for money towards my Cobra 2 hybrid. Had a cool cover also, for Trekkys this is a must have for a fan/golfer.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

After doing some web research, I have two legal options to playing with my long putter (no anchoring). I found both options watching a video from the Golf Channel's website instructional segment, The Golf Fix. I will start practicing at home and at the course, weather permitting. Two years to perfect a new putting stroke. But my goal will be to change to a legal stroke this year.

There ya go, I think you will find a way that works satisfactory with a little practice. Personally and I'm not looking to start a debate but I felt the USGA/R&A; should have allowed the over 50 guys still use it but the way they have the rule written now it's never going to happen, good luck.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

I was at a local golf store over the weekend and I was messing around with the putters. They had a long putter there similar to the one Kuchar uses and, without any real direction or instruction, I tried to hit some putts with it. I couldn't get the hang of it. It felt like I had to use a massive forward press and shut the face way down to get the putter to rest against my left forearm unless I stood very upright. Maybe I was flexing my elbows too much for the style, I don't know. I stopped trying. Gonna talk to the Pro about it though.

There was a used Scotty Cameron there for $140 with just the lie I like in a putter, but the original owner had cut it way down. I would hurt my back putting with that thing.

Bill M

My view of this rule has changed since it was introduced. A first I was all for it , now I feel that it should only apply to the pros. I am not a good golfer by any means, a round in the 90s means I had a good day. But my poor putting easily adds 5-10 strokes to my game. (Lack of time to practice). If an anchored putter could do that for me (which I think is very possible) then I could shoot in the high 80s occasionally. Amateurs should be able to use it, pros shouldn't. Just an opinion.
In my bag:
Driver - Diablo Octane 10.5*
Fairway Wood - Diablo Octane 15*
Hybrid -  Edge 21*
Irons - X20's 4I - 9I
Wedges - X20's PW/SW
Putter - White Ice 1
Ball - Warbird

My view of this rule has changed since it was introduced. A first I was all for it , now I feel that it should only apply to the pros. I am not a good golfer by any means, a round in the 90s means I had a good day. But my poor putting easily adds 5-10 strokes to my game. (Lack of time to practice). If an anchored putter could do that for me (which I think is very possible) then I could shoot in the high 80s occasionally. Amateurs should be able to use it, pros shouldn't. Just an opinion.

I don't really think it's likely that an anchored putter could make up the "5-10" strokes per game you're allegedly losing to lack of putting practice.  It's not a magic wand.  5-10 strokes is a crap-ton of strokes to gain, consistently, via putting.  That would be like going from a horrendous putter to at least pretty good.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

I don't really think it's likely that an anchored putter could make up the "5-10" strokes per game you're allegedly losing to lack of putting practice.  It's not a magic wand.  5-10 strokes is a crap-ton of strokes to gain, consistently, via putting.  That would be like going from a horrendous putter to at least pretty good.

Maybe not every round, but my putting is quite bad. I probably three putt on average 7 holes a round and I rarely make just one putt. I have an awful tendency to push the ball right and have not been able to correct it. I'm sure an anchored putter would help. Probably at least 3-5 a round. Maybe ten was pushing it a little.

In my bag:
Driver - Diablo Octane 10.5*
Fairway Wood - Diablo Octane 15*
Hybrid -  Edge 21*
Irons - X20's 4I - 9I
Wedges - X20's PW/SW
Putter - White Ice 1
Ball - Warbird

Maybe not every round, but my putting is quite bad. I probably three putt on average 7 holes a round and I rarely make just one putt. I have an awful tendency to push the ball right and have not been able to correct it. I'm sure an anchored putter would help. Probably at least 3-5 a round. Maybe ten was pushing it a little.

You're, likely, mistaken that a putter could help you that much.  You admitted in your previous post that the cause is "lack of time to practice."  Like Brandon said, it's not a magic wand, so unless you plan on changing your lifestyle to allow time to practice (which, if you could do it when you got a new putter, you could do it now) then the chances are that it's not going to help you even 3-5 strokes per round.

In fact, I'd venture a guess that if you switched to something that drastically different and didn't practice it, then you'd become a WORSE putter.

My father-in-law has the yips.  He's the only reason I actually know what they are.  He has a horrendous case of them, in fact.  It is comical to see what he does with his clubhead and hands on short putts.  Could he benefit from a long putter?  I would think he'd certainly miss a lot less of those 3-5 footers IF ... IF ... he practiced with one when he got it.  But even after a lot of practice, I'm not so sure he'd get much better with longer putts.  Learning to putt with a long putter on long putts seems like it would take A LOT of practice.  In the long run, the best case scenario would be, perhaps, that his handicap drops from 26 to 24 or something if he gets a new putter and practices with it.

Don't worry about a new putter (especially an illegal one) just get out there and practice!!!

• Upvote 1

So if something helps your game, it should be legal unless you're a pro?  Like a ball that goes farther than the USGA rules allow?  Like a device on your arm to make sure you maintain a certain position at impact?

Now, to be fair, you can use anything you want for your own recreational golf.  You just have to understand that using anything deemed "illegal" during your round means you can't use the score in that round when figuring an official handicap.  If you don't care about an official handicap, then have at it.  Use whatever you want.  Just don't confuse your game with the game that others are playing who are following all the rules.  They're two different things.

Part of golf is the challenge against our own habits, our own faults, and our own emotions.  Most of us have fought a habit here or there that has impeded our game.  Some of you have overcome those habits resulting in great improvements in your game (notice I said you and not me!).  I imagine you felt a great personal reward when you did so.  You accomplished something and you should be proud of it.

As far as I can see, to take shortcuts to achieving a goal often takes away from that satisfaction of accomplishment.  If you cure your yips by using a device, what have YOU really done to deserve any satisfaction?  Pulled out your wallet?  Oh, well, congratulations there mate.  That must make you really proud.

If scoring better is what you want, then DO THE WORK to score better.  But don't just use a piece of equipment or unapproved method that will do the work FOR you.  Otherwise it's not YOUR score you're writing down...it belongs to the guy who sold you the equipment or invented the method.

You can get exactly the same effect by just writing down smaller numbers on the scorecard.  Or maybe by using your putter in the manner of a pool cue.  Where do you draw the line on ignoring rules in the search for a better score?  Is it about writing down a better score or is it about becoming a better player?

• Upvote 1

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Don't worry about a new putter (especially an illegal one) just get out there and practice!!!

I expect better from you - no equipment is illegal. There is nothing wrong with going with a long putter - but as said by everyone, if you dont practice, it wont matter.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

I expect better from you - no equipment is illegal. There is nothing wrong with going with a long putter - but as said by everyone, if you dont practice, it wont matter.

I expect better from YOU.    "no equipment is illegal"????  So we can use whatever we want?

If you bothered to read the post to which Golfingdad was referring, you'd see that JerryTimes said SPECIFICALLY he was thinking about buying an "anchored putter".  Not a long putter.  Stop being a troll already.

• Administrator

I expect better from YOU.    "no equipment is illegal"????  So we can use whatever we want?

If you bothered to read the post to which Golfingdad was referring, you'd see that JerryTimes said SPECIFICALLY he was thinking about buying an "anchored putter".  Not a long putter.  Stop being a troll already.

Let's stop arguing semantics on this. @meenman is right that no equipment has been banned by this rule (a putter can't be "anchored" because of the putter itself).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

You're, likely, mistaken that a putter could help you that much.  You admitted in your previous post that the cause is "lack of time to practice."  Like Brandon said, it's not a magic wand, so unless you plan on changing your lifestyle to allow time to practice (which, if you could do it when you got a new putter, you could do it now) then the chances are that it's not going to help you even 3-5 strokes per round.

In fact, I'd venture a guess that if you switched to something that drastically different and didn't practice it, then you'd become a WORSE putter.

My father-in-law has the yips.  He's the only reason I actually know what they are.  He has a horrendous case of them, in fact.  It is comical to see what he does with his clubhead and hands on short putts.  Could he benefit from a long putter?  I would think he'd certainly miss a lot less of those 3-5 footers IF ... IF ... he practiced with one when he got it.  But even after a lot of practice, I'm not so sure he'd get much better with longer putts.  Learning to putt with a long putter on long putts seems like it would take A LOT of practice.  In the long run, the best case scenario would be, perhaps, that his handicap drops from 26 to 24 or something if he gets a new putter and practices with it.

Let's stop arguing semantics on this. @meenman is right that no equipment has been banned by this rule (a putter can't be "anchored" because of the putter itself).

I'm so tired of this.  If this keeps up (and I'm sure you'll celebrate) I'm gone from this website.  Maybe you don't care because you aren't making any money on the message board anyway, but this is no way to professionally manage a site.

Read the quotes above.  Jerry times was considering buying a putter and ANCHORING IT.  Not buying a long putter and using it otherwise.  You can act like that's not illegal all you want, but it doesn't make it true.

Golfingdad replied by saying that instead of worrying about the putter he should just practice more.  If you don't understand what he said, I can't help you any more.

Then meenman jumps his case for using the term "illegal putter" knowing full well what he meant.

Then YOU defend him.

You want to defend trolls on your website, fine.  It's your website.

But if that's the kind of forum you want to run, I'm out of here.

I'm on my phone so I don't how to access all the smileys but I need the one of the guy smacking himself in the head here. ;). Brain freeze!!! I expect better from me too ... No excuses. Just one giant, sheepish ... Whoops. Dave, no worries. Meenmans just busting chops. And he's right that I worded my post incorrectly. There are people out there who may not be as familiar with this topic and thread as we all are and mistakenly take what I said as truth. Nobody wants that.

• Administrator
I'm so tired of this.  If this keeps up (and I'm sure you'll celebrate) I'm gone from this website.  Maybe you don't care because you aren't making any money on the message board anyway, but this is no way to professionally manage a site.

Over-react much?

Read the quotes above.  Jerry times was considering buying a putter and ANCHORING IT.  Not buying a long putter and using it otherwise.  You can act like that's not illegal all you want, but it doesn't make it true.

I don't scour every word of every post.

From my perspective, two facts that were relevant to what I said:

1. @Golfingdad said "an illegal putter." You seem to think he meant "a putter used with an illegal method" but that's not how I took it (or @meenman ). I suspect that if Drew meant to say "use a putter illegally" he'd have said something like that.
  2. @meenman correctly pointed out that the equipment isn't illegal. It isn't.

I'm fully in favor of banning anchoring (the method), and how they went about doing it. So if you think I'm somehow favoring @meenman in this, you're mistaken. I think you're the one who may have an issue, seemingly with @meenman , because you're clearly confused as to where I come down on this issue.

Golfingdad replied by saying that instead of worrying about the putter he should just practice more.  If you don't understand what he said, I can't help you any more.

That wasn't the part that was quoted by meenman, nor was it the part to which I was responding.

I'm on my phone so I don't how to access all the smileys but I need the one of the guy smacking himself in the head here. ;). Brain freeze!!! I expect better from me too ... No excuses. Just one giant, sheepish ... Whoops.

Then meenman jumps his case for using the term "illegal putter" knowing full well what he meant.

Looks like you were wrong on that one @dave67az .

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 2512 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!