IGNORED

Anchored Putters Rules Change (Effective January 1, 2016)

Note: This thread is 1515 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

@dave67az -Looks like you owe someone an apology.[quote name="Golfingdad" url="/t/62766/anchored-putters-rules-change-effective-january-1-2016/1746#post_941679"] I'm on my phone so I don't how to access all the smileys but I need the one of the guy smacking himself in the head here. ;). Brain freeze!!! I expect better from me too ... No excuses. Just one giant, sheepish ... Whoops. Dave, no worries. Meenmans just busting chops. And he's right that I worded my post incorrectly. There are people out there who may not be as familiar with this topic and thread as we all are and mistakenly take what I said as truth. Nobody wants that.[/quote]
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It seems equitable to me that way.  Otherwise it burdens/impacts some players in an inequitable fashion. Calm down, or at least do some Google research before you start with the ad homin

You gotta admit, Dave, the fact that a pencil hanging from a string is affected by gravity, indisputably settles whether anchored putting is consistent with the spirit of the game. If only the

Chas, you're right.  The tapestry reveals a lot about the long putter saga.    Here Harold, Earl of Wessex, and his foursome have just checked in with the starter.  Harold is picking which cart to use

Posted Images

I'm on my phone so I don't how to access all the smileys but I need the one of the guy smacking himself in the head here. ;). Brain freeze!!! I expect better from me too ... No excuses. Just one giant, sheepish ... Whoops.

Dave, no worries. Meenmans just busting chops. And he's right that I worded my post incorrectly. There are people out there who may not be as familiar with this topic and thread as we all are and mistakenly take what I said as truth. Nobody wants that.

@Golfingdad -  OT but, to smack yourself in the head via iPhone just type in :doh: and it will turn into the smiley when you post. If you hover over a smiley in the desktop version of the site you'll see the command keystrokes for the smiley, this will work in the mobile site.

@Golfingdad -  OT but, to smack yourself in the head via iPhone just type in :doh: and it will turn into the smiley when you post. If you hover over a smiley in the desktop version of the site you'll see the command keystrokes for the smiley, this will work in the mobile site.

Imma smack you with my iPhone!!! Kidding ... Thx for the tips.

Maybe not every round, but my putting is quite bad. I probably three putt on average 7 holes a round and I rarely make just one putt. I have an awful tendency to push the ball right and have not been able to correct it. I'm sure an anchored putter would help. Probably at least 3-5 a round. Maybe ten was pushing it a little.

I think a putting lesson would help more.

Obviously. I guess you don't get my point.

No, I think we do.  You think that an anchored putter is going to be a magical quick fix.  We're saying that you would be better off with practice and/or lessons, and that switching to an anchored putting STYLE (which will be illegal soon ;-) ) is only going to possibly help if you practice it.  So why not take a putting lesson, or practice putting first, before resorting to drastic changes?

If I ever use the term "Imma", please do smack me with your iPhone.

LOL ... sweet.  I'm going to start a list of "Things allowing me to smack Ernest Jones!"

LOL ... sweet.  I'm going to start a list of "Things allowing me to smack Ernest Jones!"

Make it a thread, guaranteed a Kickstarter Award or would that be a Smackstarter Award?

Make it a thread, guaranteed a Kickstarter Award or would that be a Smackstarter Award?

I will be like that line of people in Airplane waiting to slap the hysterical passenger.

Maybe not every round, but my putting is quite bad. I probably three putt on average 7 holes a round and I rarely make just one putt. I have an awful tendency to push the ball right and have not been able to correct it. I'm sure an anchored putter would help. Probably at least 3-5 a round. Maybe ten was pushing it a little.

You have no way of knowing that.

Though pushing right could be your putter, it is probably how the club head looks. Depending on the shape, offset, and alignment markings, a putter can cause you to aim left or right. It also could be your green reading ability. Maybe you are reading way too much break. It could be you lining up wrong. Some people can pick out a target line, but when they line up might be aiming way left or right.

Before you go proclaiming that an anchored putter is the savior to your putting problems. I would do everything in your power to rule things you can check with out resorting to buying new equipment.

Why would anyone think that adopting a putting method that will soon be made obsolete is a logical approach to playing better golf?

Well, in his defense, he didn't really say that.  He said he wished they wouldn't make it obsolete so he could adopt this putting style.

No, I think we do.  You think that an anchored putter is going to be a magical quick fix.  We're saying that you would be better off with practice and/or lessons, and that switching to an anchored putting STYLE (which will be illegal soon ) is only going to possibly help if you practice it.  So why not take a putting lesson, or practice putting first, before resorting to drastic changes?

Wrong,  I know that a lesson or five would help, but I'm saying that an anchored putter would also probably help some people with the issue that I have.  I personally won't buy an anchored putter (not because of the rule change) because I want to learn how to putt 'properly'.  I push the ball right, which is a swing flaw in my case.  I'm lining the ball up properly when I practice but when I'm putting I'm not properly swinging the putter, and I'm moving it away from my body, I'm ASSUMING :) that an anchored putter would help that flaw a little.

You have no way of knowing that.

Though pushing right could be your putter, it is probably how the club head looks. Depending on the shape, offset, and alignment markings, a putter can cause you to aim left or right. It also could be your green reading ability. Maybe you are reading way too much break. It could be you lining up wrong. Some people can pick out a target line, but when they line up might be aiming way left or right.

Before you go proclaiming that an anchored putter is the savior to your putting problems. I would do everything in your power to rule things you can check with out resorting to buying new equipment.

I'm saying that I think it would help.  I've recorded my swing, and often when I putt I'm moving the putter away from me.  It's something that I have to learn to not do, and I'm assuming that if I had an anchored putter I would probably not do that so much.  It's an assumption.

It's starting to look like the anchor putter may well not be obsolete as rumor has it that the PGA is seeking a "Grandfather Clause" which would allow guys like Scott, Keegan Bradley etc. to continue using it...should this become reality one should expect the Champions Tour to follow suit ASAP since so many players use it on that tour including Freddie and Langer.

While the USGA and R&A; are traditionally the governing bodies of the game, the PGA is the cash cow....it is sponsored by a who's who of corporate heavyweights so I would not be so quick to predict that some kind of accommodation may yet be made for the anchored putter players.....we shall see.

Note: This thread is 1515 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!