IGNORED

Anchored Putters Rules Change (Effective January 1, 2016)

mvmac
Note: This thread is 2516 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

@dave67az -Looks like you owe someone an apology.[quote name="Golfingdad" url="/t/62766/anchored-putters-rules-change-effective-january-1-2016/1746#post_941679"] I'm on my phone so I don't how to access all the smileys but I need the one of the guy smacking himself in the head here. ;). Brain freeze!!! I expect better from me too ... No excuses. Just one giant, sheepish ... Whoops. Dave, no worries. Meenmans just busting chops. And he's right that I worded my post incorrectly. There are people out there who may not be as familiar with this topic and thread as we all are and mistakenly take what I said as truth. Nobody wants that.[/quote]

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm on my phone so I don't how to access all the smileys but I need the one of the guy smacking himself in the head here. ;). Brain freeze!!! I expect better from me too ... No excuses. Just one giant, sheepish ... Whoops.

Dave, no worries. Meenmans just busting chops. And he's right that I worded my post incorrectly. There are people out there who may not be as familiar with this topic and thread as we all are and mistakenly take what I said as truth. Nobody wants that.

@Golfingdad -  OT but, to smack yourself in the head via iPhone just type in :doh: and it will turn into the smiley when you post. If you hover over a smiley in the desktop version of the site you'll see the command keystrokes for the smiley, this will work in the mobile site.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

@Golfingdad -  OT but, to smack yourself in the head via iPhone just type in :doh: and it will turn into the smiley when you post. If you hover over a smiley in the desktop version of the site you'll see the command keystrokes for the smiley, this will work in the mobile site.

Imma smack you with my iPhone!!! Kidding ... Thx for the tips.

Maybe not every round, but my putting is quite bad. I probably three putt on average 7 holes a round and I rarely make just one putt. I have an awful tendency to push the ball right and have not been able to correct it. I'm sure an anchored putter would help. Probably at least 3-5 a round. Maybe ten was pushing it a little.

I think a putting lesson would help more.

Bill M

I think a putting lesson would help more.

Obviously. I guess you don't get my point.

In my bag:
Driver - Diablo Octane 10.5*
Fairway Wood - Diablo Octane 15*
Hybrid -  Edge 21*
Irons - X20's 4I - 9I
Wedges - X20's PW/SW
Putter - White Ice 1
Ball - Warbird

Imma smack you with my iPhone!!! Kidding ... Thx for the tips.

If I ever use the term "Imma", please do smack me with your iPhone.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Obviously. I guess you don't get my point.

No, I think we do.  You think that an anchored putter is going to be a magical quick fix.  We're saying that you would be better off with practice and/or lessons, and that switching to an anchored putting STYLE (which will be illegal soon ;-) ) is only going to possibly help if you practice it.  So why not take a putting lesson, or practice putting first, before resorting to drastic changes?

If I ever use the term "Imma", please do smack me with your iPhone.

LOL ... sweet.  I'm going to start a list of "Things allowing me to smack Ernest Jones!"

LOL ... sweet.  I'm going to start a list of "Things allowing me to smack Ernest Jones!"

Make it a thread, guaranteed a Kickstarter Award or would that be a Smackstarter Award?

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Make it a thread, guaranteed a Kickstarter Award or would that be a Smackstarter Award?

I will be like that line of people in Airplane waiting to slap the hysterical passenger.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I will be like that line of people in Airplane waiting to slap the hysterical passenger.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks I'm hysterical.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Maybe not every round, but my putting is quite bad. I probably three putt on average 7 holes a round and I rarely make just one putt. I have an awful tendency to push the ball right and have not been able to correct it. I'm sure an anchored putter would help. Probably at least 3-5 a round. Maybe ten was pushing it a little.

You have no way of knowing that.

Though pushing right could be your putter, it is probably how the club head looks. Depending on the shape, offset, and alignment markings, a putter can cause you to aim left or right. It also could be your green reading ability. Maybe you are reading way too much break. It could be you lining up wrong. Some people can pick out a target line, but when they line up might be aiming way left or right.

Before you go proclaiming that an anchored putter is the savior to your putting problems. I would do everything in your power to rule things you can check with out resorting to buying new equipment.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Why would anyone think that adopting a putting method that will soon be made obsolete is a logical approach to playing better golf?

"Age improves with wine."

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Wishon 755pc 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i & 9i
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

Why would anyone think that adopting a putting method that will soon be made obsolete is a logical approach to playing better golf?

Well, in his defense, he didn't really say that.  He said he wished they wouldn't make it obsolete so he could adopt this putting style.

No, I think we do.  You think that an anchored putter is going to be a magical quick fix.  We're saying that you would be better off with practice and/or lessons, and that switching to an anchored putting STYLE (which will be illegal soon ) is only going to possibly help if you practice it.  So why not take a putting lesson, or practice putting first, before resorting to drastic changes?

Wrong,  I know that a lesson or five would help, but I'm saying that an anchored putter would also probably help some people with the issue that I have.  I personally won't buy an anchored putter (not because of the rule change) because I want to learn how to putt 'properly'.  I push the ball right, which is a swing flaw in my case.  I'm lining the ball up properly when I practice but when I'm putting I'm not properly swinging the putter, and I'm moving it away from my body, I'm ASSUMING :) that an anchored putter would help that flaw a little.

In my bag:
Hybrid -  Edge 21*
Irons - X20's 4I - 9I
Wedges - X20's PW/SW
Putter - White Ice 1
Ball - Warbird

You have no way of knowing that.

Though pushing right could be your putter, it is probably how the club head looks. Depending on the shape, offset, and alignment markings, a putter can cause you to aim left or right. It also could be your green reading ability. Maybe you are reading way too much break. It could be you lining up wrong. Some people can pick out a target line, but when they line up might be aiming way left or right.

Before you go proclaiming that an anchored putter is the savior to your putting problems. I would do everything in your power to rule things you can check with out resorting to buying new equipment.

I'm saying that I think it would help.  I've recorded my swing, and often when I putt I'm moving the putter away from me.  It's something that I have to learn to not do, and I'm assuming that if I had an anchored putter I would probably not do that so much.  It's an assumption.

In my bag:
Hybrid -  Edge 21*
Irons - X20's 4I - 9I
Wedges - X20's PW/SW
Putter - White Ice 1
Ball - Warbird

It's starting to look like the anchor putter may well not be obsolete as rumor has it that the PGA is seeking a "Grandfather Clause" which would allow guys like Scott, Keegan Bradley etc. to continue using it...should this become reality one should expect the Champions Tour to follow suit ASAP since so many players use it on that tour including Freddie and Langer.

I think it will be denied. The USGA really put down their intent and belief on this. I don't think they will grandfather anyone in. I don't think they should.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

While the USGA and R&A; are traditionally the governing bodies of the game, the PGA is the cash cow....it is sponsored by a who's who of corporate heavyweights so I would not be so quick to predict that some kind of accommodation may yet be made for the anchored putter players.....we shall see.

Note: This thread is 2516 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!