IGNORED

Anchored Putters Rules Change (Effective January 1, 2016)

mvmac
Note: This thread is 2518 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Kev

I apologise if you misunderstood my clumsy attempt at humour. I am aware of your background and have every respect for teaching and 'shop' pros.

I wasn't suggesting that you or your colleagues were irrelevant, simply that they were no more or less important that those who use (or don't) your valuable services.

As you suggest, the rules are for players and players only.

Thank you RulesMan, I have nothing but respect for you. In hindsight, I was being very thin skinned, and I apologize for not taking your post in the spirit you intended. May I please have a mulligan?

Kevin

May I please have a mulligan?

Kevin

Oh, now you've done it!

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Bottom line - the issue is over.

But it was good to hear my pro today say that he thought the USGA's stance was BS.

I will say the dummies still sent me 2 rule books even though I did not renew my membership. That is probably par for the course for them.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thank you RulesMan, I have nothing but respect for you. In hindsight, I was being very thin skinned, and I apologize for not taking your post in the spirit you intended. May I please have a mulligan?

Kevin

:no: but have :beer: instead

• 1 month later...

I'm not a fan of belly putters or long putters, and can't putt with them to save my life, but I think it's a little silly to ban them. We can have massive lightweight drivers and space-age two-piece balls that go 350+, but we draw the line on anchored putters? The history of golf is littered with cases like this where something new and great came along, and out of fear, the USGA makes it illegal.

Agreed, I don't think that it goes against the spirit of the game. If these putters are against the "rules" shouldn't we all be hitting hand-carved clubs and feather-stuffed leather balls?

P.S. I use a regular shafted putter.

Driver: TaylorMade Jet Speed Matrix 49 Gram Velox T Stiff Shaft

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha Aldila NVS 65-S 350 Shaft

Hybrid(s): Cobra Baffler T-Rail - 3H - 19*
                 Cobra Baffler T-Rail - 4H - 22*
Irons:  TaylorMade RBladez Jetfuel 85 Gram Steel Shaft 4-AW 

Wedges: Cleveland REG.588 Tour Action - 60*

Callaway Forged Rust - 54*
Putter: Ping 1/2 Wack-E - Super Stroke 3.0 Slim Grip

Balls:  Maxfli U/4H

Agreed, I don't think that it goes against the spirit of the game. If these putters are against the "rules" shouldn't we all be hitting hand-carved clubs and feather-stuffed leather balls?

P.S. I use a regular shafted putter.

It's not the putters, it's the stroke.  You can use a long putter or belly putter you just can't anchor them.

Joe Paradiso

It's not the putters, it's the stroke.  You can use a long putter or belly putter you just can't anchor them.

Semantics, nobody is impressed that you and rulesman read the rule. The long putter, for all intensive purposes, has been outlawed (when the rule takes affect). On another note I did see someone last week on the practice green with a long putter and instead of anchoring he was standing facing his target with his putter to the side of him and was putting really well. He said that he had tried anchoring when he first found the long putter but that it wasn't for him. Saw this article and was reminded of this new rule, this months Golf Digest also has a similar article. http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the-loop/2011/04/sam-sneads-desperate-measures-on-the-greens.html

Semantics, nobody is impressed that you and rulesman read the rule. The long putter, for all intensive purposes, has been outlawed (when the rule takes affect).

I'm not trying to impress you, golf is about knowing the rules.  The rules discuss the stroke, not the equipment so your statement that the long putter has been outlawed is incorrect.   You can use a long putter after the new rules come into affect, you just can't anchor them.  The new counter-balance putters are being offered in 38" and longer that some people are using with a traditional stroke as an alternative to the anchored stroke.

Joe Paradiso

• Administrator
Semantics, nobody is impressed that you and rulesman read the rule. The long putter, for all intensive purposes, has been outlawed (when the rule takes affect).

On another note I did see someone last week on the practice green with a long putter and instead of anchoring he was standing facing his target with his putter to the side of him and was putting really well. He said that he had tried anchoring when he first found the long putter but that it wasn't for him.

I'm not going to pile on as @newtogolf rebutted your argument, but I did want to emphasize that several people with long putters are already talking about (and have been for some time) simply moving their hand an inch off their chests. Or putting as you suggested in the article. So "for all intents and purposes" (I doubt you see the putting stroke as particularly intensive) it has NOT been outlawed.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Semantics, nobody is impressed that you and rulesman read the rule.

In a lot of cases, I tend to agree with this.  However, sometimes you can't tell if the person just flat-out doesn't know.  I don't think Joe is trying to be a pain, he's just trying to inform.

The long putter, for all intensive purposes, has been outlawed (when the rule takes affect).

You're just trying to be funny here right?  I say this a lot too, but I say it on purpose with emphasis so people are aware I'm being silly.

On another note I did see someone last week on the practice green with a long putter and instead of anchoring he was standing facing his target with his putter to the side of him and was putting really well. He said that he had tried anchoring when he first found the long putter but that it wasn't for him.

I met a guy sometime last year that did exactly this.  He wasn't superb, but he was pretty decent.

And this is all the more reason why it's acceptable for people to make those semantic corrections on the "illegal putter" comments.  Some of them genuinely don't understand the rule, and there are some potentially good options for continuing to use the putters, so it could be helpful to make the correction.

In a lot of cases, I tend to agree with this.  However, sometimes you can't tell if the person just flat-out doesn't know.  I don't think Joe is trying to be a pain, he's just trying to inform. You're just trying to be funny here right?  I say this a lot too, but I say it on purpose with emphasis so people are aware I'm being silly. I met a guy sometime last year that did exactly this.  He wasn't superb, but he was pretty decent. And this is all the more reason why it's acceptable for people to make those semantic corrections on the "illegal putter" comments.  Some of them genuinely don't understand the rule, and there are some potentially good options for continuing to use the putters, so it could be helpful to make the correction.

Yes, sorry posting at lunch and auto correct is working faster than my fingers Rebuttal to follow :)

Semantics...

I believe that it's quite significant and substantive.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

• 8 months later...

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2015/1/8/tim-clark-at-peace-with-anchoring-ban-kind-of.html

Golfweek's Jim McCabe talks to Tim Clark about the state of Clark's game and (sort of)finding peace with the anchoring ban due at year's end.

Clark is gong to give putting a try without lodging the club against his torso.

Playing without the anchored style isn’t daunting at all.

He said he would incorporate a “longish putter” and that he would adopt a similar style, one that was not anchored. Just as he figures out how to compete against guys who rip it 30 or 40 yards past him, Clark will solve the putting style challenge. He’s in a good place, no matter what, because “it comes down to confidence” and in that regard, he’s in ample supply.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Next thing you know they'll be putting with a four year olds putter

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Note: This thread is 2518 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!