IGNORED

Ah crap, i cant hit my new irons!

Note: This thread is 4192 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Got my i20s thursday. Played a round today and was really struggling with the 4-6 irons. I play with an extra inch extension so those long irons play even tougher than most. I hit my r9s well and was slicing the 4 iron every time on the i20. Im starting to regret my purchase. 7-W were pretty good though. I am upset too that i wouldnt have know these long irons were tough since all the fitting carts have are 7 irons, which ive hit very well in the stores. Will i get better with these, or should i maybe contact Ping about maybe doing a switcharoo with the g20s? Right now after todays round i feel like my game is going backwards... Just barely any confidence in my $900 irons.

Originally Posted by tuffluck

Got my i20s thursday. Played a round today and was really struggling with the 4-6 irons. I play with an extra inch extension so those long irons play even tougher than most. I hit my r9s well and was slicing the 4 iron every time on the i20. Im starting to regret my purchase. 7-W were pretty good though.

I am upset too that i wouldnt have know these long irons were tough since all the fitting carts have are 7 irons, which ive hit very well in the stores. Will i get better with these, or should i maybe contact Ping about maybe doing a switcharoo with the g20s? Right now after todays round i feel like my game is going backwards... Just barely any confidence in my $900 irons.

You can contact Ping, but are you sure it's the extensions that make it hard to hit them? If they were fitted for you, they should be easier to hit, besides the obvious fact that the i20's are more of a player's iron than the r9's. If you hit the 7-W well, you might just ask about trading the 6-4 in for g20's and have a combo set.

My bag:

Driver: G10 10.5* w/ Pro Launch Red Reg 

3 Wood: G10 w/ Pro Launch Red Reg 

18* and 21* hybrids: G10 with Pro Launch Red Stiff 

4-PW: Ping Eye 2 Irons w/ Reg GS 95 

56* and 60*: Tour-S Rustique Wedges w/ Stiff KBS Tour 

Putter: Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 

Adding an inch to the length shouldn't have made them harder to hit if you were fit for them (assuming you're 6' 3" or taller).  You might just have to adjust your stance or swing since you're used to playing with irons an inch shorter.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

With forged clubs, there is a learning curve coming from game improvement irons, I would stick with it for bit longer before making any changes.

Titleist 913D2 9.5 (UST VTS 65)

Titleist 913F 15 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 913H 19 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 714 AP2 (4-PW) (DG XP-95)

Titleist Vokey SM5 (52,56,58) (DG XP-95)

Ping Anser 2 Classic

Sorry guys, i am 6 feet 6 inches. I still think the longer the club, the harder to hit. Still my old irons were the same and i hit them better. The i20 is just a tougher iron to hit.

Ping i20's aren't forged.

Originally Posted by KrazyTrain18

With forged clubs, there is a learning curve coming from game improvement irons, I would stick with it for bit longer before making any changes.

I couldn't find a Maltby rating for the R9's but I doubt there's a big difference in terms of playability factors, they are both considered players irons.  I agree the longer irons (3-5) overall are harder to hit, but if the clubs were fit for you I wouldn't think the additional inch would make a difference given your height.  If that's true, tall golfers would be at a significant disadvantage and shorter golfer should dominate the Tour.

Sorry guys, i am 6 feet 6 inches. I still think the longer the club, the harder to hit. Still my old irons were the same and i hit them better. The i20 is just a tougher iron to hit.

Joe Paradiso

If you have the mental thought that they are harder to hit, they will be. I got the I10s when I was playing high nineties into one hundreds. I didn't hit them well for the first few weeks either. It came around and now I love the hell out of them. I just wish I had the 3 iron now.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Got my i20s thursday. Played a round today and was really struggling with the 4-6 irons. I play with an extra inch extension so those long irons play even tougher than most. I hit my r9s well and was slicing the 4 iron every time on the i20. Im starting to regret my purchase. 7-W were pretty good though. I am upset too that i wouldnt have know these long irons were tough since all the fitting carts have are 7 irons, which ive hit very well in the stores. Will i get better with these, or should i maybe contact Ping about maybe doing a switcharoo with the g20s? Right now after todays round i feel like my game is going backwards... Just barely any confidence in my $900 irons.

I've been here before. New clubs take me at least a couple thousand hits to get comfortable. Don't regret your purchase. I wish I could get the i20s.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Btw, I definitely believe that taller players are at a disadvantage in golf. More moving mass, including body AND club extensions. Keegan, Ernie, and of course Dustin Johnson buck that trend, but those guys 4 inches shorter would dominate this game (even more). Although, I don't think Keegan plays with extensions. It is absolutely harder. My buddy is 6 feet 4 inches and he doesn't have extensions. He is very built and hits a PW 160. I gave him my 4 iron and he hit it 170, with actually good contact. Longer the club, harder to hit I thin

Btw, I definitely believe that taller players are at a disadvantage in golf. More moving mass, including body AND club extensions. Keegan, Ernie, and of course Dustin Johnson buck that trend, but those guys 4 inches shorter would dominate this game (even more). Although, I don't think Keegan plays with extensions. It is absolutely harder.

My buddy is 6 feet 4 inches and he doesn't have extensions. He is very built and hits a PW 160. I gave him my 4 iron and he hit it 170, with actually good contact. Longer the club, harder to hit I thin

There is more moving mass, correct, but you have to remember that larger golfers are also stronger, and built to carry that extra mass. Think proportions, because the bigger guys, when in shape, are proportionally stronger to handle the extra mass, therefore making the only difference being the fact that larger players have a longer lever and a stronger swing, creating more distance. While some may argue it's harder to get a square face when the shaft is longer, it's a fairly moot point when you get into professional golfers.

My bag:

Why would anyone want to "hit" their irons? Sounds like it would hurt your hand. I would rather swing my irons correctly and that usually requires some help from a good teacher. Get some lessons...... why bother asking people over the internet unless you just want to vent.

Proportions have little to do with power.  Height gives and takes away. It is easy to keep smaller levers coordinated (think PW versus driver).  But it is easier to swing fast with longer levers (think PW versus Drivers). If you look at golfers, they are slightly taller than expected (by about 1") but they are pretty close the general population distribution. You have a couple of 6'3+ guys, a ton between 5'9 to 6'2, and a few 5'6-5'8 guys. The long drive guys tend to be taller (with exceptions) but they are not playing golf. They are playing hit the crap out of the ball.

Quote:

There is more moving mass, correct, but you have to remember that larger golfers are also stronger, and built to carry that extra mass. Think proportions, because the bigger guys, when in shape, are proportionally stronger to handle the extra mass, therefore making the only difference being the fact that larger players have a longer lever and a stronger swing, creating more distance. While some may argue it's harder to get a square face when the shaft is longer, it's a fairly moot point when you get into professional golfers.

Originally Posted by x129

Proportions have little to do with power.  Height gives and takes away. It is easy to keep smaller levers coordinated (think PW versus driver).  But it is easier to swing fast with longer levers (think PW versus Drivers). If you look at golfers, they are slightly taller than expected (by about 1") but they are pretty close the general population distribution. You have a couple of 6'3+ guys, a ton between 5'9 to 6'2, and a few 5'6-5'8 guys. The long drive guys tend to be taller (with exceptions) but they are not playing golf. They are playing hit the crap out of the ball.

Quote:

I'm saying that proportionally, there is no difference between similarly built tall and short players, not the power that they can generate. I said that a taller player can generate more power with the longer lever, not that the proportion does it.

My bag:

I am tall but very thin. Although I drive 265 on average, I don't have a sick amount of power over the average golfer. I just have arc as an advantage. Most of my friends are my height but 50 pounds heavier, they hit crazy distance. I think I am at a huge disadvantage because my body weight is not even close to being proportional to my height. However I understand why many of you would think my size should be advantageous in this sport. Nevertheless, I think adding an inch to any club makes it harder to hit. Being powerful enough to man the club is one thing, but just being stupid tall and lanky doesnt make the club any easier to control, regardless of it being fitted for you.

I am tall but very thin. Although I drive 265 on average, I don't have a sick amount of power over the average golfer. I just have arc as an advantage. Most of my friends are my height but 50 pounds heavier, they hit crazy distance. I think I am at a huge disadvantage because my body weight is not even close to being proportional to my height. However I understand why many of you would think my size should be advantageous in this sport. Nevertheless, I think adding an inch to any club makes it harder to hit. Being powerful enough to man the club is one thing, but just being stupid tall and lanky doesnt make the club any easier to control, regardless of it being fitted for you.

Your swing speed is probably 105mph and you don't need to move fast to do it :-) [quote name="onesome" url="/t/62912/ah-crap-i-cant-hit-my-new-irons#post_780857"]Why would anyone want to "hit" their irons? Sounds like it would hurt your hand. I would rather swing my irons correctly and that usually requires some help from a good teacher. Get some lessons...... why bother asking people over the internet unless you just want to vent.[/quote] Point taken, "hit balls with irons swung properly" :-) [quote name="tuffluck" url="/t/62912/ah-crap-i-cant-hit-my-new-irons#post_780845"]Btw, I definitely believe that taller players are at a disadvantage in golf. More moving mass, including body AND club extensions. Keegan, Ernie, and of course Dustin Johnson buck that trend, but those guys 4 inches shorter would dominate this game (even more). Although, I don't think Keegan plays with extensions. It is absolutely harder. My buddy is 6 feet 4 inches and he doesn't have extensions. He is very built and hits a PW 160. I gave him my 4 iron and he hit it 170, with actually good contact. Longer the club, harder to hit I thin[/quote] Dustin is only an inch shorter than you, and really thin and lanky. He is known for raw power. I have read that the average height of a PGA golfer is something like 5'11", but that's most likely a statistical mean of all men who are athletic in this country. The fact that most PGA golfers are shorter than you does not mean that tall people are disadvantaged at golf.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

This is another case of a high HC golfer buying a club designed for low HC players and pro's......

You'd be much better served with one of their more forgiving alternatives.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Note: This thread is 4192 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!