• Announcements

    • iacas

      GAME GOLF Ryder Cup Contest   09/22/2016

      Join our GAME GOLF Ryder Cup Challenge to win an autographed GAME GOLF, a Pebble Steel watch, and many more great prizes!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TimG3394

Why was this a push slice?

10 posts in this topic

Long story short I just started playing last year and got down to a 11.1 and was hitting my desired shot, a push draw. I hit a wall and everything has gone down the drain

Outside of my other swing flaws, why did the ball start right and curve right. If I understand the ball flight laws I swung over the top with an open club face?

If someone can just steer me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.


Sorry for the poor quality, this was at Top Golf on a Friday night and did not feel like lugging my camera and tripod.

http://www.swingacademy.com/web/video/skillcast.aspx?id=4823

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

It looks to me that your swing path was down the target line, but the clubface was open at impact causing the ball to start to the right, with right spin.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by TimG3394

Long story short I just started playing last year and got down to a 11.1 and was hitting my desired shot, a push draw. I hit a wall and everything has gone down the drain

Outside of my other swing flaws, why did the ball start right and curve right. If I understand the ball flight laws I swung over the top with an open club face?

No.  Your club face simply has to be open relative to your swing path.  Your club face is definitely open to your path to produce a slice and it's obviously open to your target to produce a push.

To me, the swing path in that video is definitely not OTT, perhaps even a little to the right, so it's a matter of getting that club face less open at impact is all.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

No.  Your club face simply has to be open relative to your swing path.  Your club face is definitely open to your path to produce a slice and it's obviously open to your target to produce a push.

To me, the swing path in that video is definitely not OTT, perhaps even a little to the right, so it's a matter of getting that club face less open at impact is all.

That makes me feel better. I have always had an easier time manipulating the club face than path. I need to read up on Eriks post on the ball flight laws again.

Thanks, Golfingdad and One More Time

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

No.  Your club face simply has to be open relative to your swing path.  Your club face is definitely open to your path to produce a slice and it's obviously open to your target to produce a push.

To me, the swing path in that video is definitely not OTT, perhaps even a little to the right, so it's a matter of getting that club face less open at impact is all.

Correct, slice doesn't necessarily mean over the top, face is just right of the path.  Going with that, "over the top" doesn't necessarily result in bad shot.  There are pros that consistently have a path to the left.  What screws up a lot of amateurs of how they get the path across the ball, which is usually due to releasing the wrist angles too soon.  We want a flat left wrist at impact, if the wrist begins to dorsi flex (cup) too soon the path will rotate to the left, across the ball. Obviously the pros that have the left ward path aren't doing it that way But that's another conversation and not something I would recommend to most players.  If you want to hit fades, just adjust the path by aiming more to the left.

For your swing Tim and sticking with push draws,  I'd recommend feeling like the club face stays "looking" at the ball longer on the takeaway.  The face is rolling open way too fast creating sequencing issues.  Compare your pics to the ones below.  With less face rotation it will be easier for you to hit the ball more solid because you'll have to do less work to "save" the shot.  Also on the downswing I think adding some more pressure into your left foot would be great.  Work on those separately.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by mvmac

Correct, slice doesn't necessarily mean over the top, face is just right of the path.  Going with that, "over the top" doesn't necessarily result in bad shot.  There are pros that consistently have a path to the left.  What screws up a lot of amateurs of how they get the path across the ball, which is usually due to releasing the wrist angles too soon.  We want a flat left wrist at impact, if the wrist begins to dorsi flex (cup) too soon the path will rotate to the left, across the ball. Obviously the pros that have the left ward path aren't doing it that way  But that's another conversation and not something I would recommend to most players.  If you want to hit fades, just adjust the path by aiming more to the left.

For your swing Tim and sticking with push draws,  I'd recommend feeling like the club face stays "looking" at the ball longer on the takeaway.  The face is rolling open way too fast creating sequencing issues.  Compare your pics to the ones below.  With less face rotation it will be easier for you to hit the ball more solid because you'll have to do less work to "save" the shot.  Also on the downswing I think adding some more pressure into your left foot would be great.  Work on those separately.

I will definitely work on those 2 things. I know this is not really the correct place (I do have a myswing thread) and I will be signing up for Evolvr when I get my new camera for X-mas.

This was back in July and when I had my push draw. (I know camera position is off, I recently read Eriks article on using one properly) But should I be looking at this video as reference?

http://www.swingacademy.com/web/video/skillcast.aspx?id=4824

Thanks again for everything you guys do for us

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by TimG3394

I will definitely work on those 2 things. I know this is not really the correct place (I do have a myswing thread) and I will be signing up for Evolvr when I get my new camera for X-mas.

Look forward to it! I would also say the swing from July has less face/forearm rotation in the takeaway than the recent one.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

apart from the obvious out to in(slice)..... at the top bring your right elbow in and stay in the shot, dont lift...your spine angle is totally gone at impact, which is why you push it out right...your setup is good...now keep those angles at impact.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

imitate this at impact :-) [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/62544/] [/URL]

One more practice session and I should be good ;-)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0