IGNORED

My Swing (slightlymad)

slightlymad
Note: This thread is 1395 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi all, just found out about this site, like it very much and wanted to see if people here could give me feedback on my swing. Thanks in advance. I will post a driver video later on.

I've been Playing Golf for: Since i was like 10 or so, but i quit as soon as i went to high school. I recently started playing again (1 year now) and want to improve my game.

My current handicap index or average score is: 16.9

My typical ball flight is: Straight shot. Or a slight fade.

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: I slice my driver alot. Which costs me alot of points. Other then that i just want to get my shots more consistent, but before i get to that i want to have a swing that feels good enough that i dont need to work on it anymore. Ofcourse i would like to get a more drawy shot like the pro's and all that.

My short game is very good i think, but putting still needs some work.

Ow btw, i realise that im new here and have contributed anything really yet, so i understand if people dont want to put a whole lot of time into analysing my swing. A couple of tips or comments on what people notice is all i need.

I guess ill tell a little about what i feel should help me get better. I think my swing with irons is pretty decent, i have some trouble with aiming, but the irons are not my main problem ofcourse. I know i can still improve on them though. I recently started putting more hips into my downswing and ive been striking the ball really nice because of that. Only problem is i hit em really really high. I guess i have to strike down more on the ball to get a more piercing ballflight but im having trouble to understand how to accomplish that.

My two main concerns are my driver and my putting. Concerning the driver, Ive bought a new one with a stiff shaft, and it does feel a little better, but i still slice em big some times. I tried to close my clubface a bit by adjusting the grip. But there hasn been any consistency yet. I have an old video of me with my dad's driver, which i believe is not a good driver but i should be able to produce normal shots with it even if it is a senior shaft.  Take a look.

\

Anyway, i still need to work on my short game and putting more, but im doing that now and its going better and better. Thanks in advance for any comments or tips or observations.

On the face on / caddy view I noticed your left hip is moving off the line.  Moving off the ball like that - causes you to make some compensations and moves back to the ball which is going to cause your ball striking to be poor - especially when your timing is off.

Work on a centered pivot... This will ensure that left side - especially the hip stays on the line.

Watch the centered pivot video by Mvmac which gives you a nice idea of the items required to stay centered, and how to do it.  Get more weight on the left leg so that the foot doesn't lift or move off the ground in the backswing.  Also, flare the left foot more - if your current left toe is at 12 o'clock... Move your left toe outward - to 10 o'clock.  This will help you with your rotation and weight transfer.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I can't tell if you are doing it in the 7 iron videos, but in the driver video it looks like the index finger on your right hand is pointing straight down the shaft instead of gripping it like the other fingers?

[While typing this I just grabbed a club here in my office and am taking some swings and it doesn't feel quite as strange as I thought it would]

Maybe it's not a big deal, but it's just something I noticed.

Thanks for watching guys.

Golfingdad, yeah i sometimes do that. I think i doesnt make any difference though, but your the first to notice that. I sometimes let my indexfinger grip a little looser, this is a little too much i think.

Beachcomber,

thank you for pointing that out. I might have an idea where that comes from. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v;=IZY6BdfeZu0#! When i first started using this, i started striking the ball really well, time after time. So i thought, well, thats my new swing. But i can see how this movement is not a good thing. Or maybe i didnt really understand the video :). I will def try to work on the centered pivot. I will try to upload a new video when i think its gotten better.

Originally Posted by slightlymad

Thanks for watching guys.

Golfingdad, yeah i sometimes do that. I think i doesnt make any difference though, but your the first to notice that. I sometimes let my indexfinger grip a little looser, this is a little too much i think.

Beachcomber,

thank you for pointing that out. I might have an idea where that comes from.

When i first started using this, i started striking the ball really well, time after time. So i thought, well, thats my new swing. But i can see how this movement is not a good thing. Or maybe i didnt really understand the video :). I will def try to work on the centered pivot. I will try to upload a new video when i think its gotten better.

Hi slightlymad, that is a solid drill.  But your hips (I stress this as not necessarily the drill video you referenced and posted above to my response) are actually sliding away from the target too much.  Keep that left side as close to your initial start line as possible.

For example, watch Rory's swing with a driver.  A driver swing is where a golfer is going to have the most energy and potential movement of the lower body.  Rory's swing is powerful, but yet his left hip stays fairly close to the start line on the takeaway.  Yes, Rory does a very minimal shift left of the frame, but not much.  Much less than your sway or shift left.

My point is get a steady lower body, and it will help with the transfer of energy through the ball.  And make your ball striking much more consistent in nature.

• 1 year later...

Allright, has been some time for me. Still around the same handicap. Feel my ballstriking has gotten better, bought some new clubs, but my shortgame is still the same i think. Trying working on that quickie pitch video for now. Anyway, this is just to keep my progress logged. Feel free to comment.

This is from past summer. The second shot was a real nice draw. With driver ofc. Doesnt look particularly strong.

This is a 6 iron from this winter. Sry about the angle, there was nobody to tape it. I think my hips look a bit better then my older videos.

This is the driver from this winter. Again sry about the angle.

Again, feel free to comment if you see anything. I can use every tip or comment.

Regards,

Slightlymad

In the driver video, it looks like you're reaching out for the ball. Like your arms are super duper extended. From what I understand, that can force you to swing outwards more than you want. Also, I'd try to bend from the shoulders more. Like you're slumping over.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Thanks, ill look into that. Ive never really looked into my stance that much. All i know is i shouldnt have my butt sticking out too much. But now that you mention it it does look like i could work on my setup. Thanks for that tip!

Two new video's. One iron and one driver. Ive tried to focus on my stance. Like jbishop15 said i seemd to reach out a little too much. So ive tried to keep my hands closer to my hips and tried to have more arch in my back. Unfortunately the open area was closed so im sorry about the quality. Feel free to comment

One thing i still notice in my driver swing(iron also but a little less) is that after impact i think my swing looks pretty weak somehow. Like im hitting the ball but not hitting 'through' the ball. So after impact i just try to finish of the motion to get to the endposition. But it feels kind of forced. I could also stop and point the club towards my target if i wanted to i think.

Iron 7

Driver

Post # 8 second vid tells me how you just can't get comfortable over the ball.You are doing a bunch of things that we all do when trying to figure this out.For some reason people on golf forums seem to think that 6 or 10 or 20 or whatever number of written lines of commentary should be enough to sort a golf swing out when 1000's of books and vids over decades has failed to do so.Lowering your hands,raising your hands,getting closer to the ball ,getting further from the ball aren't the things you need now.

You need to be at least aware of what pros think about and do which appears effortless but are actually pre-conditioned moves.I would post a gripping video but admin.deleted it and blocked me when I did it elsewhere....your grip is wrong and your  wristy takeway is wrong.....all the best.

"There is no reason to listen to me. I am merely voicing my opinion on certain aspects of golf mechanics that I have experimented with along with others I have read about and watched." - freedrop, on himself [Source]

User was banned February 22, 2014 for multiple violations.

Buy one please :-D . Its very hard to see your swing with the video on the ground. This one is about $15-$20 dollars, and it can fit in your golf bag.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Thanks..i guess. I agree im still not over the ball. I think its a bit better though. Will try to look into grip and takewaway.

Just out of curiosity, how can you see a grip is wrong?

It is impossible to grab the club as casually as you do with none of the subtle adjustments pros make and have the correct grip. Not to mention the obvious right hand  thumb handicapper error. Essentially it requires some basic moves and you don't do them.

"There is no reason to listen to me. I am merely voicing my opinion on certain aspects of golf mechanics that I have experimented with along with others I have read about and watched." - freedrop, on himself [Source]

Do you mean there are certain preperations/moves you do to obtain the good grip? (for example, first grip with left hand en then put the right on over it.)

Remember when you were learning to drive a car,it needed focus on seemingly numerous things,now you can do it without even thinking.As with the grip,there are a number of SUBTLE things required that makes all the difference.Its more than which hand is on first, that is an optional  piece but important .The majority of pros get the left hand on correctly  first.When  you watch Erik in the 5 keys vids,he gets the left hand on correctly first,then the right .

Note: This thread is 1395 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!