IGNORED

(If you're a U.S. Citizen) Did you vote in the 2012 Presidential Election?

iacas
Note: This thread is 4148 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I agree, too many uninformed people exercise their right to vote.  The misconception that the rich should vote republican and the poor democrat  does not always represent their actual interests.  I know a lot of rich liberals and religious poor people.

Originally Posted by David in FL

I wish more people had your maturity. Too many people vote just because someone has told them that they should.....and without any idea of the actual issues.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like some here want some sort of litmus test implemented prior to being able to vote....why stop there though, lets just go all the way back when land owners were the only ones allowed to vote, it seems that a certain portion of the population feel slighted cause the president ran a better more sophisticated campaign by targeting speicific demographics in battleground states and it proved a good strategy.Now I can just hear them screaming for the electoral college being eliminated unfortunately that will probably be even worse for them.

Not exactly that... but why vote when you have no idea wtf you are voting for?

"There are two things that don't last very long...dogs that chase cars, and golfers who putt for pars."

I'd be okay with a mandatory spelling and grammar test. If you can't properly use words like "there" and "they're" and "their" then you'd be deemed too stupid to vote. [quote name="onesome" url="/t/63067/if-youre-a-u-s-citizen-did-you-vote-in-the-2012-presidential-election/36#post_785236"]That's fine if your not comfortable, I just think others are just spouting sour cuz they'r e guy didn't win[/quote]

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

How can you not know what your voting for? At least for federal level votes (good luck at the local stuff) not being able to spend 15 mins to pick which guy matches your current world view is pathetic.  I am fine with you not voting. But you are just as responsible for this government as the people that voted.

FWIW the rich vote democratic. See every Urban area on the map and they are all blue in addition to being higher income and educatd. The super rich (.1%) vote republican. The poor vote all over the map. See most of the red states for examples of poverty voting republican. People tend to vote social issues first and then economic ones.

Originally Posted by JasonK88S

Because the info that i have has been passed along from social media and others who think they know what they're talking about as well. i would prefer not to vote rather than spend hours studying who to vote for. Not my cup of tea. If im not mistaken.... We have the "right" to vote... which means a "choice" to vote. I made my choice.

"There are two things that don't last very long...dogs that chase cars, and golfers who putt for pars."

I don't think anyone wants a litmus test, but instead would prefer that people become more educated on the candidates and issues before they vote.  I have encouraged my children (13, 16) to watch the debates with my wife and I and read about the local candidates so when they become of legal age to vote they can make informed choices.

The problem is many don't understand that voting is a privilege that shouldn't be taken lightly or wasted.  That said I don't think anyone should have to pass a test to vote I'd just like to see them take the right more seriously.

Originally Posted by onesome

Sounds like some here want some sort of litmus test implemented prior to being able to vote....why stop there though, lets just go all the way back when land owners were the only ones allowed to vote, it seems that a certain portion of the population feel slighted cause the president ran a better more sophisticated campaign by targeting speicific demographics in battleground states and it proved a good strategy.Now I can just hear them screaming for the electoral college being eliminated unfortunately that will probably be even worse for them.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by x129

How can you not know what your voting for? At least for federal level votes (good luck at the local stuff) not being able to spend 15 mins to pick which guy matches your current world view is pathetic.  I am fine with you not voting. But you are just as responsible for this government as the people that voted.

Even at the national level, it can be hard to find out what a candidate really believes / how he acts in office. There's so much posturing and outright lying that you can't just go read their statements and decide, "Hey, I'm opposed to killing puppies, this is my guy."

It is much easier than for local elections, though. In California, they have a nice pamphlet that contains statements from every candidate who cares to submit one, so you can at least know SOMETHING about, say, the candidates for the county council. Here in Indiana, good luck.

Elections are annoying, and I agree with the general idea that one should not vote simply because someone says to do so. If you don't have an opinion, it doesn't do any good to flip a coin. However, the system must permit EVERY citizen to choose his or her vote (or lack thereof) according to whatever method he or she likes, so if you want to do that, go for it.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Originally Posted by zeg

Even at the national level, it can be hard to find out what a candidate really believes / how he acts in office. There's so much posturing and outright lying that you can't just go read their statements and decide, "Hey, I'm opposed to killing puppies, this is my guy."

It is much easier than for local elections, though. In California, they have a nice pamphlet that contains statements from every candidate who cares to submit one, so you can at least know SOMETHING about, say, the candidates for the county council. Here in Indiana, good luck.

Elections are annoying, and I agree with the general idea that one should not vote simply because someone says to do so. If you don't have an opinion, it doesn't do any good to flip a coin. However, the system must permit EVERY citizen to choose his or her vote (or lack thereof) according to whatever method he or she likes, so if you want to do that, go for it.

agreed

Quote:

We should all see it as our responsibility and not just our privilege.  It should be taught to our children by parents, educators, coaches, clergy, etc., all of us, that we take the responsibility of voting very serious.  My son voted in his very first election this year.  We spent time discussing issues.  He was actually surprised at our stance on some which he agreed with us.  But the discussion was the important part.

I have close friends that are both Democrat and Republican.  They are all very good people.  What they have in common is they take personal responsibility to understand the issues.  We have far more common ground than the parties and news agencies let on.  And the parties just want to divide us.

As for vitriolic campaigns and news, this is nothing new.  Take a moment and research the elections of Andrew Jackson or Grover Cleveland.  They were just as nasty and misleading as the elections are today. Information just travels faster now.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Originally Posted by Phil McGleno

I'd be okay with a mandatory spelling and grammar test. If you can't properly use words like "there" and "they're" and "their" then you'd be deemed too stupid to vote.

Why stop their? Obviously blacks and women shouldn't be allowed to vote either.

dak4n6

That makes no sense unless you think black people and women are stupid. I don't think they are. I'd stop stupid people from voting, not people who want to vote one way or another. BTW you meant there in that post, not their. [quote name="dak4n6" url="/t/63067/if-youre-a-u-s-citizen-did-you-vote-in-the-2012-presidential-election/36#post_786023"] Why stop their? Obviously blacks and women shouldn't be allowed to vote either. [/quote]

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Originally Posted by Phil McGleno

That makes no sense unless you think black people and women are stupid. I don't think they are. I'd stop stupid people from voting, not people who want to vote one way or another. BTW you meant there in that post, not their.

You had said earlier that blacks and minorities voted for Obama purely because of race, which is pretty stupid, isn't it?

And yes, I used 'their' to show that I should not have voted either.

dak4n6

Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post

Quote:
i did not vote. i am 23 years old and havent voted the two times that i was able to. I do not feel that i could have made an educated decision so i choose not to vote.

I wish more people had your maturity. Too many people vote just because someone has told them that they should.....and without any idea of the actual issues.

I think it would have been far more mature to investigate things and vote.

Bill M

Originally Posted by JasonK88S

Because the info that i have has been passed along from social media and others who think they know what they're talking about as well. i would prefer not to vote rather than spend hours studying who to vote for. Not my cup of tea. If im not mistaken.... We have the "right" to vote... which means a "choice" to vote. I made my choice.

As far as the Presidiential election is concerned, I would suggest that you vote based on things that the POTUS can actually influence. Presidents don't "create" jobs, for example. The POTUS has far less control of the country's pursestrings than Congress.

The two main things that the POTUS can influence is (1) foreign policy and (2) the makeup of the Supreme Court. I would suggest you decide how the POTUS fits your thoughts in those two areas.

Bill M

Originally Posted by phan52

I think it would have been far more mature to investigate things and vote.

To be honest i do too. I think that i should take advantage of the right and put my vote into play. I cannot argue with that. I usually say "i'll vote next year" and then when election comes im just not really ready because i REFUSE to watch debates or listen to others opinions about the subject. I need to do my own research and educate myself as far as that goes. I guess im just not as interested in the subject as most people are. I feel like im doing something bad by not voting but i would feel worse if i just "went for it" you know?

Note: This thread is 4148 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!