IGNORED

If there ever was a year where College football needed a playoff format, this could be that year... The BCS is broken.

Beachcomber
Note: This thread is 4115 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think the quicker we all accept the fact that there will never be a perfect system for determining a college football national champion, the sooner we can move on and enjoy the sport.

Tyler Martin

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by iacas

You said it that way knowing you were leaving yourself an "out" because you "put" a word in quotes, while you also knew people would read it literally and call you on the way your post read. You did it to stir the pot while leaving yourself an out.

Well, either that or you're a moron who couldn't possibly foresee how "Actually the "best" team didn't make it at all. Ohio State." would be taken the way people took it.

Exactly!  But he ain't a dummy, so I'm voting for "A."

That the Browns stink and deep down you all wish you were Steelers fans. :) I know. I know. Too bad for you. :)

Well said ... an actual laugh out loud moment today.  Need some Bengals fans in here (you know ... that team from nearby who ACTUALLY made the playoffs) to put you both in your place.  Me?  I'm a Chargers fan, so .... yeah, I got nothin.

Watch out, the buffalo Bills are circling the wagons!

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

the only way to make the playoffs work, in my opinion, would be to base it on the conference championship.  maybe sec, acc, big 10(?) pac 47, big 12, then the 2 highest ranked teams not from one of those conferences. give the last spot to the next highest ranked team regardless of conference.

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

you guys did catch this, right? http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/brent-musburger-73-livens-first-half-bcs-title-023701469--ncaaf.html

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

You said it that way knowing you were leaving yourself an "out" because you "put" a word in quotes, while you also knew people would read it literally and call you on the way your post read. You did it to stir the pot while leaving yourself an out.

Well, either that or you're a moron who couldn't possibly foresee how "Actually the "best" team didn't make it at all. Ohio State." would be taken the way people took it.

I really don't care how people took it. I know what I meant. Cuz one thing I do know more about than you is me.

But anyway. One thing I've learned in my time here is don't get into a pissing match with the site's owner. I'm out of this thread.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by zipazoid

I really don't care how people took it. I know what I meant. Cuz one thing I do know more about than you is me.

But anyway. One thing I've learned in my time here is don't get into a pissing match with the site's owner. I'm out of this thread.

Lighten up. Take two of these happy pills, chill out, and do all you can to convince yourself that the Browns will make the playoffs in 12 months.

P.S. I don't have a problem with anyone saying something provocative. Just be a man and own up to it. :)

P.P.S. I bet Brent would admit to it. :D Cuz otherwise he's just a dirty old man. :D

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

P.P.S. I bet Brent would admit to it. :D Cuz otherwise he's just a dirty old man. :D

Pretty sure he's just a dirty old man ... with a history ...  (from CNN story):

Webb is the second rather attractive member of a football audience that Musburger and network cameras have helped push into the limelight.

Back in 2005, when ABC cameras panned across a trio of scantily clad football fans during a Florida State football game, Musburger opined that "1,500 red-blooded Americans just decided to apply" to the school.

One of those fans, Jenn Sterger, went on to a 15-minutes-of-fame career with appearances in Maxim and Playboy and a job as the stadium host for New York Jets football games. Later, quarterback Brett Favre got in trouble for sending her lurid messages while he was a player on the Jets.

Here they are:

That's amazing, I remember the Florida State incident, too.  At the gym this morning I saw a commercial for the Today show.  McCarron's gf was going to be on to say how she felt about Musberger's comments.  I didn't stick around, but I am almost ashamed to say that I actually am interested to know what she has to say about it.

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Pretty sure he's just a dirty old man ... with a history ...  (from CNN story):

Go figure.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by dsc123

the only way to make the playoffs work, in my opinion, would be to base it on the conference championship.  maybe sec, acc, big 10(?) pac 47, big 12, then the 2 highest ranked teams not from one of those conferences. give the last spot to the next highest ranked team regardless of conference.

I think you're moving in a good direction, but in that system last year, Stanford (the 4th team in the BCS rankings before bowls) wouldn't have made a playoff, while the likes of Clemson (15th) and TCU (18th) would have made it. I know the obvious argument is "Well, win your conference, then it won't matter". But I'm sure Stanford would have pointed to Bama and said, "they didn't win their conference either".

And what happens in a year like this year? Florida State (12th), Northern Illinois (15th), Louisville (21st) and Wisconsin (unranked with 5 losses) make it while Florida (3), Oregon (4), and a slew of solid 2 loss teams would have missed out.

I think it just proves my point that, while your example might be a step in the right direction, it's going to be impossible to please everyone and make it "fair".

Disclaimer: All "words" that are "notated" with "quotation marks" are subject to revocation, reinterpretation, and denial at any time without prior notice.

• Upvote 1

Tyler Martin

Originally Posted by geauxforbroke

I think you're moving in a good direction, but in that system last year, Stanford (the 4th team in the BCS rankings before bowls) wouldn't have made a playoff, while the likes of Clemson (15th) and TCU (18th) would have made it. I know the obvious argument is "Well, win your conference, then it won't matter". But I'm sure Stanford would have pointed to Bama and said, "they didn't win their conference either".

And what happens in a year like this year? Florida State (12th), Northern Illinois (15th), Louisville (21st) and Wisconsin (unranked with 5 losses) make it while Florida (3), Oregon (4), and a slew of solid 2 loss teams would have missed out.

I think it just proves my point that, while your example might be a step in the right direction, it's going to be impossible to please everyone and make it "fair".

Disclaimer: All "words" that are "notated" with "quotation marks" are subject to revocation, reinterpretation, and denial at any time without prior notice.

Good points. Take the conference champion of Big 10, Big 12, Pac 12, SEC, ACC (I wouldn't include Big East).  Then the next three ranked teams regardless of conference.  If all three came from the same conference, so be it.

What will become more and more important going forward is the strength of the non-conference opponents.  No longer will teams be able to beat up on three patsies and expect their ranking to remain high.

Originally Posted by Harmonious

No longer will teams be able to beat up on three patsies and expect their ranking to remain high.

Unless they're a historic power. Teams like ND, Texas, and USC will always get higher rankings in human polls than similar teams with similar records against similar opponents.

And not providing some way in for non-automatic qualifiers was one of the main points of contention prior to the BCS.

Tyler Martin

Originally Posted by dsc123

That's amazing, I remember the Florida State incident, too.  At the gym this morning I saw a commercial for the Today show.  McCarron's gf was going to be on to say how she felt about Musberger's comments.  I didn't stick around, but I am almost ashamed to say that I actually am interested to know what she has to say about it.

It appears McCarron only recently began dating Webb. The relationship sounds gold-diggish. Go figure.

BCS McCarron Girlfriend

From the Daily Beast - the Sexy Beast:

Webb, 23, is an alumna of longstanding Alabama rival Auburn University and began dating the 22-year-old QB McCarron in December, after a series of flirtatious exchanges over Twitter. The two finally met in person for the first time when the football star made an appearance at this year’s Miss Alabama USA pageant, held Dec. 7–8 in Montgomery, Ala.

“I had not seen him until I went on stage and saw him in the front row,” Webb told the local Ledger-Enquirer in late December, adding, “We decided to make it official this past weekend.”

According to her Miss USA page , in addition to modeling, Webb “currently works at Chic-Fil-A in Columbus, Georgia, as a training director” and has been involved in numerous philanthropic endeavors, including helping a missionary group open a dental clinic in India. She enjoys “paintballing, fishing, and skeet shooting,” and “works to overcome vitiligo , the same skin condition that Michael Jackson had.” The disease causes depigmentation of sections of skin, resulting in discoloration.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I dont know that you're right about that.  That doesn't happen in any other sport.  You don't see the Tampa Bay Rays fans complaining that they got screwed out of the playoffs and that they deserve to be there.  They won 90 games.  They are really talented.  But they didn't win as many games as the other teams.  There's no debate.  Only college football.

College football is really unique in that its really the only sport that "best" team isn't simply determined by your record.  Its really record plus public opinion of your team's talent.  In every other sport, you play your games and at the end of the year, the teams with the most wins get in.  But in college football, due mostly to historical quirks, that's not what we have.  I think that's fine, actually, but if we're going to have a playoff, why are we preserving this strange win-plus approach? Ditch the polls and do it like everybody else.

My proposal kept (but minimized) the polls.  I would actually get rid of them completely.  Maybe expand to 8 and give some of the lesser conferences automatic bids.  That would do a lot for parity.  Teams in the Mountain West would send a team to the playoffs each year.  They only have to be the best in that conference, and go on a run in the playoffs, to win the championship.

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

Originally Posted by Harmonious

What will become more and more important going forward is the strength of the non-conference opponents.  No longer will teams be able to beat up on three patsies and expect their ranking to remain high.

I hope this is true.  Its embarrassing to see Alabama play Western Kentucky and Florida Atlantic.

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

Unless they're a historic power. Teams like ND, Texas, and USC will always get higher rankings in human polls than similar teams with similar records against similar opponents.

I agree with you except for ND.  They played a harder schedule than Bama, Kstate, and Oregon and didn't take the #1 spot until they all lost.

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

Note: This thread is 4115 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!