IGNORED

If there ever was a year where College football needed a playoff format, this could be that year... The BCS is broken.

Note: This thread is 3124 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by dsc123

well everyone lost one game, and notre dames loss was to the #1 team in the country!

And now we know who wrote the algo for that particular B c S computer.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK, this thread is officially getting really creepy.

Or would you take those top 16 teams and make the losers keep playing? IE after 1 beats 16 does 16 then get to play 7? The other question is would the money still be there? IE supposedly the big bowls

I agree with this piece 100%.  And another at large bid could potentially replace that conferences champion that backed in by default of another team within their conference being ineligible.   This w

To be fair to the BCS computers, they are not allowed to use several pieces of information that humans have. Given no other info, is it better to be 12-1 with a loss by 1 pt to Al or 12-1 with a 1 pt loss to A&M.; Seems a lot closer when you look at it that way. Now imagine you don't know that one team struggled to beat a crappy team in overtime. If we gave the computers decent inputs they values they spat out would be better.

It would be interesting to see the records of the computers (i.e. take the computer rankings) versus the humans (ap or whatever poll you prefer) and see what one does better at predicating bowl games. I bet the results are really close.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Attention all BCS bashers!!!  I know it's pretty much time to let this thread die since, you know, it's not college football season anymore, but I have one more item.  If you have read some of my past posts, you know I'm one of the few who don't mind the BCS and don't think we really "need" a playoff.  A lot of you say the "BCS sucks" and I disagree, etc, etc.  Well, I think you guys win because ...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/one-bcs-computer-still-ranks-notre-dame-no-185628284--ncaaf.html

One of the computers that the BCS takes seriously into its equations has Notre Dame as their number one team to end the season.  Holy crap!!  Pretty sure that takes the cake.

That's all.

Originally Posted by zipazoid

Ehem...one didn't.

Your gloating is symptomatic of OSU's issues.

Humility is lacking.

They lost out before the season begun.

They DID NOT QUALIFY.

They BROKE THE RULES.

They were toast before the season began.

They won nothing, not even respect.

When they crawl out from their hole, then they might get respect.

Just like other teams who broke the rules - one must EARN respect.

To be fair to the BCS computers, they are not allowed to use several pieces of information that humans have. Given no other info, is it better to be 12-1 with a loss by 1 pt to Al or 12-1 with a 1 pt loss to A&M.; Seems a lot closer when you look at it that way. Now imagine you don't know that one team struggled to beat a crappy team in overtime. If we gave the computers decent inputs they values they spat out would be better. It would be interesting to see the records of the computers (i.e. take the computer rankings) versus the humans (ap or whatever poll you prefer) and see what one does better at predicating bowl games. I bet the results are really close.

Yes, but it seems like there could be one extra caveat in there along the lines of " if they have almost identical resumes but one team beats the living crap out of the other then that should be the deciding factor " :)

And all those Big 10 teams lost to an undefeated Big Ten team who did not go 2-5. Granted their former coach and former players did stupid stuff in 2010 and they were not eligible. Hard to say that with Urban Meyer they will not be a quality team capable of matching up with SEC, since his SEC record speaks for itself. But time will tell.

Originally Posted by golflaw

And all those Big 10 teams lost to an undefeated Big Ten team who did not go 2-5.

Granted their former coach and former players did stupid stuff in 2010 and they were not eligible. Hard to say that with Urban Meyer they will not be a quality team capable of matching up with SEC, since his SEC record speaks for itself. But time will tell.

Comparing the big 11 to the SEC is like comparing the houston astros to the yankees.  Ohio St was eligible for nothing so their undefeated record means nothing. Anyone trying to say that they are the only undefeated team is delusional at best.

Originally Posted by meenman

Comparing the big 11 to the SEC is like comparing the houston astros to the yankees.  Ohio St was eligible for nothing so their undefeated record means nothing. Anyone trying to say that they are the only undefeated team is delusional at best.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings/_/poll/1/seasontype/3

That damn delusional Associated Press.

Originally Posted by zipazoid

http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings/_/poll/1/seasontype/3

That damn delusional Associated Press.

I may be blind but can you tell me where your heroes are on this list? ineligible is ineligible....

http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings/_/poll/2/seasontype/3

Originally Posted by meenman

I may be blind but can you tell me where your heroes are on this list? ineligible is ineligible....

http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings/_/poll/2/seasontype/3

Not my "heroes." I went to Kent State.

I'm interested in you explaining how the AP is delusional.

Hello boys. Some of y'all might recall that I'm zip's friend. A while back he kept making me read some thread about finding a lost club until I joined up and made a post for reasons still unfathomable to me, as I don't play golf and have no plans to. But, being an Alabama redneck, I can talk about football all damn day. I may have defended him before, but it's a whole new ball game.

Gerald, your Buckeyes indeed won every game they played this year, so one does not have to be "delusional" to believe statistical facts. However, they may have been undefeated in their irrelevant contests this season, but they were BCS ineligible, which means they may as well not exist on planet earth. AP poll? What do you get for a third place finish in the AP? They don't even make a t-shirt for that. And they make a t-shirt for everything. I know a good screen printer with reasonable rates and no minimum, in case you want something done up.

As to the thread in general...the BCS is broken? This is a revelation? It started out broken. As an Auburn fan, I will only bring up the Year of our Lord, Two Thousand and Four. Winning it two years ago does not make up. That's like sending me a cookie cake that says "Sorry About the Herpes." It doesn't stop the pain. So the BCS can bite my figural crank.

But having said all that, I will only add Seven in a row! And Four in a row from the great state of Alabama. War Damn Eagle and Roll Tide Roll. Good luck next year, all you other conferences. You'll need it.

Good day, gentlemen.

• Upvote 1

Well I look forward to one of my awesome SEC teams playing them in the title game next year. Massacre, and I don't care which one it is. Bama, Georgia, LSU... Nothing thrills my soul so much as the SEC beating the Big 10. It makes me quiver.

Originally Posted by Moxie Dawn

Well I look forward to one of my awesome SEC teams playing them in the title game next year. Massacre, and I don't care which one it is. Bama, Georgia, LSU... Nothing thrills my soul so much as the SEC beating the Big 10. It makes me quiver.

OK, this thread is officially getting really creepy.

• Upvote 2

Note: This thread is 3124 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!