IGNORED

If there ever was a year where College football needed a playoff format, this could be that year... The BCS is broken.

Beachcomber
Note: This thread is 4114 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

ND received the benefit of a couple of homefield referee calls (no surprise there!) which allowed them to "win" a couple of games they shouldn't have.  They are not deserving to be in the National Championship conversation. Hopefully USC will send them away, since it's played in LA and they won't have their favorite refs to help out.

Haters will say anything to cut down nd. Home field refs? They don't have their own refs. At home they have refs from the other teams conference on the field and big East upstairs. On the road they have big East officials on the field and the opponents officials upstairs. In the Pitt game, those were Pitts officials. It's absurd to blast an undefeated team for one pi call.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by dsc123

Haters will say anything to cut down nd. Home field refs? They don't have their own refs. At home they have refs from the other teams conference on the field and big East upstairs. On the road they have big East officials on the field and the opponents officials upstairs.

In the Pitt game, those were Pitts officials.

It's absurd to blast an undefeated team for one pi call.

You can also remind him of the year SC beat ND in South Bend when Reggie Bush pushed Matt Leinart into the end zone for the final touchdown and the "hometown refs" let that one go.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

You can also remind him of the year SC beat ND in South Bend when Reggie Bush pushed Matt Leinart into the end zone for the final touchdown and the "hometown refs" let that one go.

haha, i thought about it but decided not to go there.

Fact of the matter is, ND is overrated and underrated at all times.  The computers have ND #2 because of what they have accomplished .  But the voters are skeptical solely because of what ND has done in the past 10 years, or because they played some close games against bad teams.

• Oregon has beaten two ranked opponents: Arizona, #22 (now 2-4 in conference), WA #23 (3-3) and USC #17 (4-3).

• KState has beaten four teams that were ranked: WVA #13 (now 2-3 in conference), TexTech #14 (now 3-3), OKSt #24 (3-2), and OK #6 (4-1).

• ND has beaten four ranked opponents: Mich #18 (4-1); Mich St #10 (2-4); Stanford #17 (5-1); OK #8 (4-1).

Oregon's top opponents are 9-10 in conference!   How are they #2 in the human polls?  Was the 63-13 win over Tennessee Tech that impressive? 70-14 over a 1-8 Colorado team?  I realize that they have some big games coming up, but that doesn't justify where they stand today.

KState's opponents are 12-9 in conference and ND's are 15-7 in conference.  Of course, conferences are not all equal, but those records are more telling than the overall, padding their records with games against high school teams.

I don't understand how people can sit here and say ND doesn't deserve to be in the conversation.  They've played a schedule that is at least as difficult as any other team in the conversation, and won every game.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

I don't want this to come off as being a snob... But Oregon IMO is one of the most overrated teams in the country.  They haven't played a top tier defense yet.  And some could say that they haven't played a top tier team, period.

With that in mind, and the current system in place... I still think the championship crown will be taken by an SEC team - Alabama.

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

I don't want this to come off as being a snob... But Oregon IMO is one of the most overrated teams in the country.  They haven't played a top tier defense yet.  And some could say that they haven't played a top tier team, period.

With that in mind, and the current system in place... I still think the championship crown will be taken by an SEC team - Alabama.

I disagree, it is a bit of a self-fulfilling prophesy in that the defenses, perhaps, look as bad as they do BECAUSE of just how good their offense is.  Additionally, they have played 3 ranked teams, as has Alabama, to ND's and KSU's 4.  Looks like when all is said and done, all four of them will have played 5 or 6 ranked teams (depending on Bama's and Oregon's Conference Champ. game opponents).

And, after looking at all of their games thus far, Alabama has only been tested once, by LSU.  K-State has had a few close games but seem to be getting stronger now and most of Oregon's games have been over by halftime.  But Notre Dame, on the other hand, has had three wins over unranked teams by 3 points.  (Not exactly stellar)

Based on all of that, I think that with the BCS standings currently at Bama, KSU, Oregon, Notre Dame, nobody is overrated.  I think that is perfectly fair.

EDIT:  From what I've seen from Alabama these last couple of years, I don't think it makes a hill of beans difference what system is in place, they are clearly the favorites for the trophy. (Which sucks cuz I hate Nick Saban)

I disagree, it is a bit of a self-fulfilling prophesy in that the defenses, perhaps, look as bad as they do BECAUSE of just how good their offense is.  Additionally, they have played 3 ranked teams, as has Alabama, to ND's and KSU's 4.  Looks like when all is said and done, all four of them will have played 5 or 6 ranked teams (depending on Bama's and Oregon's Conference Champ. game opponents).

And, after looking at all of their games thus far, Alabama has only been tested once, by LSU.  K-State has had a few close games but seem to be getting stronger now and most of Oregon's games have been over by halftime.  But Notre Dame, on the other hand, has had three wins over unranked teams by 3 points.  (Not exactly stellar)

Based on all of that, I think that with the BCS standings currently at Bama, KSU, Oregon, Notre Dame, nobody is overrated.  I think that is perfectly fair.

EDIT:  From what I've seen from Alabama these last couple of years, I don't think it makes a hill of beans difference what system is in place, they are clearly the favorites for the trophy. (Which sucks cuz I hate Nick Saban)

Ummmmmm ... whoops.

And Louisville got smoked today too, so they're out of the picture and now it's down to K-State, Oregon and Notre Dame.

Ummmmmm ... whoops.

And Louisville got smoked today too, so they're out of the picture and now it's down to K-State, Oregon and Notre Dame.

Hahha I thought Alabama would run the table.  KSU, Oregon, ND, and............. The Ohio State.  Too bad the Buckeyes are on probation.

Alabama is a great team, just out of gas after its last second win at LSU.

I've followed the Aggies,and with great teams they've got to jump out early with that no huddle before the opponent adjusts and hang on. They don't yet have enough depth or talent - getting there, but not quite. Witness the LSU game. I thought if they got a 27-0 lead, they'd have a chance to hang on with 'Bama. They did not get that, but they forced a few 'Bama errors, and that was enough.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I have no idea how good Alabama is.  They basically have 1 one over a decent team (LSU) and one loss (AM). They played a couple of teams that had good rankings (Michigan, Arkansas, MSU) but in reality are borderline top 25 teams at best. They were also willing to schedule such quality opponents as Western Kentucky, Fl Atlantic, and Western Carolina.  It is hard for me to say that they are better than FL, GA, SC,OK, or a bunch of other teams. Now a lot of these other teams have the same problems (that WV doesn't look as impressive anymore for kstate). ND toughest schedule at the start of the year doesn't look as bad now that we know Michican schools were over ranked, Miami is not back and schools like pitt, BC, Purdue and Wake forest have had decent years (i.e. has western Carolina ever been top 25?) but these are definitely not strong ones for those programs. But it isn't like the other schedules are much better.  There just isn't enough cross conference big games early in the year to establish which teams are really good. Are those SEC teams really that good or are the coasting on past results? Hard to say.

Quote:

Alabama is a great team, just out of gas after its last second win at LSU.

I've followed the Aggies,and with great teams they've got to jump out early with that no huddle before the opponent adjusts and hang on. They don't yet have enough depth or talent - getting there, but not quite. Witness the LSU game. I thought if they got a 27-0 lead, they'd have a chance to hang on with 'Bama. They did not get that, but they forced a few 'Bama errors, and that was enough.

Bama had real trouble with the fast pace offense from A&M.;  Imagine what Oregon's O could do to them.  The issue with Oregon though is their defense.  I think a team like Alabama would pound away to keep the Oregon O off the field.

I think we are going to see some fresh faces in the championship game this year.  Should be fun.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I didn't watch the Alabama game... But I read a short blurb that they abandoned their running game once they got down.  Can anyone comment that watched the game?  Sounds like they forgot their identity was a team who ground pounds?

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

I didn't watch the Alabama game... But I read a short blurb that they abandoned their running game once they got down.  Can anyone comment that watched the game?  Sounds like they forgot their identity was a team who ground pounds?

I only watched part of the game since the USC game was on at the same time, but just looking at the play-by-play, they did a significant amount of pass plays in the 2nd quarter and into the second half. A few sets of downs showed only pass plays and minimal rushing through the entire drive. I would say the pass/rush ratio is 4:1 for passing just taking a glance at each play.

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

Alabama had 31 rush attempts and 34 pass attempts. Now some of the rushes were scrambles and some rushes were sacks but that is a pretty balanced attack. They mixed it up nicely and were able to move the bal at times. They did go pass happy when down 12 with 8 mins to go but that is probably the right move.  They had a interception and a fumble that cost them and then they couldn't punch it in from the 6 with ~2min left.

Originally Posted by RPMPIRE

I only watched part of the game since the USC game was on at the same time, but just looking at the play-by-play, they did a significant amount of pass plays in the 2nd quarter and into the second half. A few sets of downs showed only pass plays and minimal rushing through the entire drive. I would say the pass/rush ratio is 4:1 for passing just taking a glance at each play.

Originally Posted by x129

Alabama had 31 rush attempts and 34 pass attempts. Now some of the rushes were scrambles and some rushes were sacks but that is a pretty balanced attack. They mixed it up nicely and were able to move the bal at times. They did go pass happy when down 12 with 8 mins to go but that is probably the right move.  They had a interception and a fumble that cost them and then they couldn't punch it in from the 6 with ~2min left.

Actually, we ran the ball 26 times and attempted to pass it 39 times. McCarron's "rushes" were not planned rushes.  That's a 40/60 split, and that is why we lost.  Our first scoring drive - if memory serves - was eight rushes versus four passes.  Our second scoring drive was virtually all through the air.  Manziel's rushes were mostly designed rushes... McCarron's were decidedly not.  He's nursing knee and back injuries, so I am pretty certain he doesn't feature in our rushing offense.

Our offense dug our defense a hole early on by not staying on the field.  Our first three drives were as follows:

3 plays - 2 yards and a punt

4 plays - 23 yards and an interception

3 plays - 1 yard and a punt.

Those brilliant drives took less than four minutes off the clock.  Not only does the defense not get a chance to rest, but they don't get to make any adjustments.

Regardless, with first and goal from the six - and the game on the line - we made some horrendous play calls.  We went away from who we are and tried to throw the ball.  The play on fourth down was ridiculous.  Kenny Bell isn't a receiver that you generally want in the game in that situation.  Yeldon was only averaging 2.9 yards per carry and Lacy was dinged from a helmet to helmet/defenseless receiver hit that wasn't called, but at even two yards a pop, we get in the endzone, and the media is talking about Alabama surviving another close one.

In both the LSU and Texas A&M; games, we got away from who we are and didn't run the ball enough.  Alabama's formula is simple.  Run the ball and eat up the clock.  We have strayed from that.  But now we've got a couple of "bye" weeks to get healthy before the SECCG.  All that has to happen is a Notre Dame loss to USC - a real possibility - and either a Kansas State loss to Texas or Baylor or an Oregon loss to Stanford or Oregon State... and take care of business against Georgia and we're right back where everyone wants us. ;-)

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Originally Posted by bwdial

In both the LSU and Texas A&M; games, we got away from who we are and didn't run the ball enough.  Alabama's formula is simple.  Run the ball and eat up the clock.  We have strayed from that.  But now we've got a couple of "bye" weeks to get healthy before the SECCG.  All that has to happen is a Notre Dame loss to USC - a real possibility - and either a Kansas State loss to Texas or Baylor or an Oregon loss to Stanford or Oregon State.

Keep in mind, if USC wins against UCLA this weekend, we meet Oregon in the Pac-12 Championship game. As much as USC is out of the title game and how much I'm not a big fan of the SEC, redemption (and playing spoiler) feels good after a lost season. So in the meantime, I would root for USC as a 'Bama fan. haha...

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

Originally Posted by bwdial

In both the LSU and Texas A&M; games, we got away from who we are and didn't run the ball enough.  Alabama's formula is simple.  Run the ball and eat up the clock.  We have strayed from that.  But now we've got a couple of "bye" weeks to get healthy before the SECCG.  All that has to happen is a Notre Dame loss to USC - a real possibility - and either a Kansas State loss to Texas or Baylor or an Oregon loss to Stanford or Oregon State... and take care of business against Georgia and we're right back where everyone wants us. ;-)

I think people tend to panic when they're down by 20 points and it's not the end of the first quarter. As you stated, there was plenty of time to run, the average per rush attempt was 3.9 yards - not bad.

As to adjusting to A&M;, they did, but it takes several possessions to adjust to what A&M; puts on the field. Bama adjusted. But I think they got caught in a "catch-up" syndrome. Patience may have won the day ultimately and kept A&M; from doing further damage in the second half. But who knows? A&M; did adjust to Bama's defense to open up the passing game a bit after being stifled.

Bama got caught up in a passing panic...

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Note: This thread is 4114 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!