IGNORED

DIII Huntingdon College Golf Coach Goes Off

jamo
Note: This thread is 4062 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

http://deadspin.com/5959088/****ing-hunky+dory-d+iii-golf-coachs-profane-rant-is-a-thing-to-behold If you don't like swearing, look elsewhere. If you do, I've got [URL=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FBjzsa2SBU]a video to show you[/URL]: [VIDEO]http://youtu.be/6FBjzsa2SBU[/VIDEO] Oh, and he was fired today. [QUOTE]You could forward through the first 1:55 of this clip to get to the yelling and the screaming and the oh-so-many bad words. You could. But you shouldn't, because the buildup is what makes the explosion so great. Calm, helpful strategy gives way to praise for the one player who shot a decent round, to violently RIPPING the team a new one. Last month the D-III Hawks of Huntingdon College, a Methodist school in Montgomery, Ala., traveled to Ohio for the Gordin Classic. It didn't go so hot; they finished 11th out of 12. On the bus ride back, head coach Matt Mahanic (who mistakenly believed the team finished last) tore into them. This reportedly wasn't his first rant, but this time, someone on the bus was recording. At least 10 email forwards later, it's made its way to us. Some highlights: "That is f--king horrendous. Horrendous that nobody can shoot f--king par on that golf course. That is the most f--king embarrassed I've ever been in my life, having to walk around that f--king scoreboard and look at those other f--king coaches—F--king 11 teams beat us this week! Eleven f-king teams! Goddamnit!" "I gotta f--king go up there and watch that bulls--t you four call golf! Like watching f--king paint dry! My dad looked and me and said, 'Why the f--k are you recruiting these kids?'" "I'm ready to lose my f--king mind. There is no f--king helping you! ...F--king not a big deal, though. It's not a big deal. F--king hunky-dory." "We f--king don't deserve s--t. F--king—we haven't broke 300 all year. Four f--king chances in nice weather, and we haven't broken 300 yet. F--k me." "I don't want to hear a f--king word out of anybody until we get back to Kentucky[?]. Put your f--king headphones on, go to sleep, I don't give a s--t. I had to watch you play golf for the last 54 f--king holes. Please do not let me hear your f--king voice right now." All of which is to say, D-III golf is serious business. The Hawks would head to their next tournament in Florida...and finish 12th.[/QUOTE]

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Holy moly, that guy is fired up!  And I'm trying to picture it ... at least when a football coach does something like this, there are 50,60,70 guys there that are on the receiving end.  This was 4 kids?!?!  Yikes.

• Administrator

Kids are soft these days.

We were ranted out almost as badly in high school - high school - for failing to win our 32nd match in a row. Would have been two undefeated seasons. We still easily won our county championship both years (the second and third of five straight).

I guarantee two kids were in the back trying to stifle laughter.

Softies.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Yeah that is intense. I guess i'm to weak for that shit, but I would never put up with a coach like that.

I had a freshman basketball coach who flipped shit on me one time, and it kind of ruined team sports for me. I was a pretty good athlete and I quit because I was afraid of coaches. Getting pissed at a team is one thing, but flipping your shit like this is another.

That's why I picked up golf, the only coach that I have yelling at me is in my head.

:whistle:

Sounds like normal coaching behavious to me. I grew up with coaches like this. It makes better players, imo.

I mean seriously, thius is really, really common in all sports.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

this was great! loved how the bi-polar just all-of-a-sudden kicked in

IN MY BAG
Driver: Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver
3 Wood: Calloway RAZR Hawk
Hybrid: Ping 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 825
Wedges: 52, 56 Cleveland
Putter: Odyssey White Ice

Originally Posted by ApocG10

Sounds like normal coaching behavious to me. I grew up with coaches like this. It makes better players, imo.

I disagree. For instance we had a basketball coach who was really hard on us... He would throw in the F-bombs - throw his clip board - punch things in the locker room and go off on rants.  It is one thing to have a rant - but the guy in the video provided zero signs of leadership.

Basically, the end result was saying their punishment - or means to push them was forcing his players to play from the red tee's until they started shooting better scores?  Seriously, if that defines coaching... Then we need to raise our standards of leadership.

His message was lame.  And his use of power was ineffective.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by iacas

Kids are soft these days.

We were ranted out almost as badly in high school - high school - for failing to win our 32nd match in a row. Would have been two undefeated seasons. We still easily won our county championship both years (the second and third of five straight).

I guarantee two kids were in the back trying to stifle laughter.

Softies.

Originally Posted by ApocG10

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

I disagree. For instance we had a basketball coach who was really hard on us... He would throw in the F-bombs - throw his clip board - punch things in the locker room and go off on rants.  It is one thing to have a rant - but the guy in the video provided zero signs of leadership.

Basically, the end result was saying their punishment - or means to push them was forcing his players to play from the red tee's until they started shooting better scores?  Seriously, if that defines coaching... Then we need to raise our standards of leadership.

I agree with Beach on this one.  Had a few coaches in high school (football and basketball) that were prone to go off on us, curse, throw things, kick things, etc, but this seemed a lot more like a childish temper tantrum.  Not leadership at all.

Although, not going to disagree that kids are soft these days either.  The whole, "lets give everyone A's so they feel good about themselves, and lets not play dodgeball because it'll hurt some kids feelings, and lets not keep score in little league because we don't want anybody to lose" culture is a bad thing, in my opinion.

Regardless ... this guy was over the line.

My mom once had a petty tyrant professor in college who went nuts when a kid came into class 5 minutes late, screaming at him for being disrespectful, and finally ending his tirade by throwing a chair halfway across the classroom at him, a la R. Knight.  Before the next class, my mom had a talk with this academic jackwad about how completely unacceptable his behavior had been.  She told him that if it happened again, she would talk to the dean.  And then she explained that the reason the kid was late was because he was manning a bake sale booth for some student organization, the person sent to relieve him was late, and he couldn't leave a cash box with $75 in it unattended on the table to get to class on time.  She said she could practically see the ego deflating out of the guy.  He mumbled something at the class but was too much of a douche to give a real apology.

I had an out-of-control high school track coach (actually the head football coach who knew nothing about track or running) throw some tantrums.  The first time was at the very beginning of the season, we had some wise-*ss drama club kids going out for the team (we had a mandatory sports requirement one season a year so all the dopes tended to go out for track figuring it was easy, "just running") that kept mouthing off, so the coach had us doing push-up ladders, going to 10 pushups, then hold for 10, then 10 more pushups, holding for 10, then going to 11, then 12, all the way up to 20 pushups.  Some of the drama nerds literally cried and quit the team right there.  I didn't have a huge problem with his excess temper and discipline on that occasion because some of the kids deserved it.  However, he did it again the night before the state championships, but with 400s instead of pushups when he decided that the distance runners were slacking off too much.  The blockheaded moron didn't understand that the night before the final race of the season, all we were supposed to do was stretch and do a brief warmup and cooldown and the distance coach wasn't there to explain it to him.  One of my friends and I both got too tight from the punitive sprints and it probably cost both of us medals the following day.

Some degree of heat and passion can fire up the adrenaline for runners or the football or wrestling teams and get better results.  But I don't see it doing anything positive for skill athletes like baseball players or golfers; all a rant will do is get inside the athlete's head and keep him or her from focusing.  Any golf coach (or coach of any amateur atheletic team for that matter) ranting that much clearly has other issues going on in his life that need addressing.

• Upvote 1

In my bag: - Ping G20 driver, 10.5 deg. S flex - Ping G20 3W, 15 deg., S flex - Nickent 4dx 3H, 4H - Nike Slingshot 4-PW - Adams Tom Watson 52 deg. GW - Vokey 58 deg. SW -Ping Half Wack-E putter

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

I agree with your disagreement.  This style of coaching doesn't work for everyone and I don't think it works for certain sports which leads to wisguy's post

Originally Posted by Wisguy

Some degree of heat and passion can fire up the adrenaline for runners or the football or wrestling teams and get better results.  But I don't see it doing anything positive for skill athletes like baseball players or golfers; all a rant will do is get inside the athlete's head and keep him or her from focusing.  Any golf coach (or coach of any amateur atheletic team for that matter) ranting that much clearly has other issues going on in his life that need addressing.

I have never responded to coaches yelling that, I have always been a very rational person and if calmly explained something I will do my best to execute.  Yelling like this at first was scary and just mad me fearful of failure...which got my mind all up in smoke and I ended up failing.  As i grew older I just learned to tune it out or greatly filter it.  The best was on my High school baseball team where I rode the pine... after a loss the coach was giving a similar high and mighty speech and I just sat that listening without a care in the world...not my fault we lost cause I never got any playing time :) -  It did suck having to run the extra sprints and stuff though haha.

"To ensure perfect aim, shoot first and call wherever the ball lands the target"

Originally Posted by Wisguy

... Any golf coach (or coach of any amateur atheletic team for that matter) ranting that much clearly has other issues going on in his life that need addressing.

This ^^^^^^^^^ 1000 times over, this.  That rant had probably 5% to do with golf at best.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

This ^^^^^^^^^ 1000 times over, this.  That rant had probably 5% to do with golf at best.

Someone said the guy was fired.  Probably best for his health moreso than the kids.  Sounds like the guy needs a reality check - or counseling.

I wonder if he's a f*cking club thrower? I wonder if he makes f*cking excuses when he hits a bad f*cking shot? :-\ What a doosh bag. :censored:

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

• 3 months later...
This coach was one of the most passionate coaches I have ever seen. He would go out of his way to help a player whether it was personal or with their game. He may have went a little over the top but these rants were usually justified.

Originally Posted by golfer3

This coach was one of the most passionate coaches I have ever seen. He would go out of his way to help a player whether it was personal or with their game.

He may have went a little over the top but these rants were usually justified.

Folks, let's welcome Matt Mahanic to the Sand Trap forums.

Or his kid or significant other.  No one else would joint this site specifically to add just this one apologist post here.

In my bag: - Ping G20 driver, 10.5 deg. S flex - Ping G20 3W, 15 deg., S flex - Nickent 4dx 3H, 4H - Nike Slingshot 4-PW - Adams Tom Watson 52 deg. GW - Vokey 58 deg. SW -Ping Half Wack-E putter

This is exactly what happened in my last evolvr lesson, they just swore at me for two and a half minutes.  It actually was the best lesson I ever had.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Note: This thread is 4062 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!