Sign in to follow this  
Maverick

Wow..what a difference

Note: This thread is 2660 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

8 posts / 1344 viewsLast Reply

I've been currently playing a Aldila NV-S 65R on my driver.  It always felt kinda "wild" and light.  I would have to intentionally try to slow down my swing..which I would then hit it well..but most of the time they were low draws/hooks.  I decided to install a heavier shaft (same make) and use a 75R..man..what a difference.  It literally feels much better weighted and really keeps my tempo the same.  I'm more of a swinger than a hitter, and this increase in shaft weight has really done wonders.  Has anyone else seen/witnessed the same or similar?

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

As I get older, it's the opposite. I want speed, so I go lighter.

But yes, if you're slowing your swing and still gettting low draws, hooks, I think the lighter shaft was screwing up your swing -  you may have been shutting down your body (hip turn), helping close the club too much, resulting in that ball flight.

The heavier shaft is more stout (or even more flex), allowing you to swing fully.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I was in the same boat.  I had a 65 on my Cobra driver and now I have a 75 on my Callaway.  I too noticed a huge difference.  I am hitting straighter more consistently.

-Scott

I may have to try this.  A lot of times my driver feels wild in my hands.  May have to see what difference this would make.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by SloverUT

I may have to try this.  A lot of times my driver feels wild in my hands.  May have to see what difference this would make.

For me, the 65g felt great..but just too light..there's no overpowering the 75g.  I have lost no distance..just better timing and consistency.

Originally Posted by Maverick

I've been currently playing a Aldila NV-S 65R on my driver.  It always felt kinda "wild" and light.  I would have to intentionally try to slow down my swing..which I would then hit it well..but most of the time they were low draws/hooks.  I decided to install a heavier shaft (same make) and use a 75R..man..what a difference.  It literally feels much better weighted and really keeps my tempo the same.  I'm more of a swinger than a hitter, and this increase in shaft weight has really done wonders.  Has anyone else seen/witnessed the same or similar?

Same here I bought the RBZ when it came out hit it great with the stock shaft in it.(45 gram)  Summer time came around and I started to hit it all over the place but the fairway. I ended up getting the Project X 5.5 68 gram and I started instantly hitting my 3-5 yd draw.

Note: This thread is 2660 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!