IGNORED

2012 Q-School Discussion Thread

MEfree
Note: This thread is 4132 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

3 of the 6 stage 2 sites will be wrapping up today with the other 3 completing play tomorrow.  Finals are slated for Nov 28-Dec3 at PGA West.  http://www.pgatour.com/qschool/#

Of the names that I recognize in Plantation, FL, I see that England`s Ross Fischer made it through while Jamie Lovemark & Hank Kuehne missed by a shot at -9 with Notah Begay and Jesper Parnevik well off the pace at -3 http://pgatq.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/pgatq12/event/pgatq1229/contest/1/leaderboard.htm

On the Champions Tour, Finals were completed today with the top 5 getting full status and the next 5-10 getting conditional status

http://www.pgatour.com/leaderboards/current/s588/

$ Pos Start Ctry First Name / Last Name Rnd4 Thru To Par R1 R2 R3 R4 Total
91 1 1 USA Gene Jones SC -2 F -13 71 66 68 70 275
- 2 3 USA Jeff Brehaut SC -4 F -10 71 67 72 68 278
79 3 2 WAL Mark Mouland SC E F -7 70 73 66 72 281
- T4 T30 USA John Riegger SC -6 F -6 75 71 70 66 282
49 T4 T4 CAN Jim Rutledge SC -1 F -6 72 68 71 71 282
122 T4 T4 MEX Esteban Toledo SC -1 F -6 69 72 70 71 282
- T4 T4 TWN Chie-Hsiang Lin SC -1 F -6 70 71 70 71 282
127 T8 T16 USA Neal Lancaster SC -3 F -5 69 72 73 69 283
61 T8 T16 USA Jeff Freeman SC -3 F -5 74 69 71 69 283
124 T8 T11 SWE Anders Forsbrand SC -2 F -5 70 73 70 70 283
- T11 T23 TWN T.C. Wang SC -3 F -4 73 73 69 69 284
67 T11 T16 USA Steve Jones SC -2 F -4 72 70 72 70 284
154 T11 T16 USA Danny Briggs SC -2 F -4 75 68 71 70 284
88 T11 T9 NZL Peter Fowler SC E F -4 70 73 69 72 284
47 T11 T4 USA Jeff Hart SC 1 F -4 70 71 70 73 284
- T16 T37 USA Doug Garwood SC -5 F -3 73 74 71 67 285
77 T16 T11 ENG Barry Lane SC E F -3 71 69 73 72 285
51 T16 T9 USA David Peoples SC 1 F -3 73 69 70 73 285
117 T19 T30 USA Robin Byrd SC -2 F -2 71 73 72 70 286
39 T19 T16 USA Bobby Clampett SC E F -2 68 69 77 72 286

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Originally Posted by MEfree

Of the names that I recognize in Plantation, FL, I see that England`s Ross Fischer made it through while Jamie Lovemark & Hank Kuehne missed by a shot at -9 with Notah Begay and Jesper Parnevik well off the pace at -3 http://pgatq.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/pgatq12/event/pgatq1229/contest/1/leaderboard.htm

I was following the Plantation leaderboard, as a friend was in the running. Sadly, he came up a couple of strokes short of moving on.  I noticed that Kuehne doubled the 18th hole, a par 5, to miss by one stroke.  With his length, I would not have expected that, but Q school can do some weird things to people...

Originally Posted by Harmonious

I was following the Plantation leaderboard, as a friend was in the running. Sadly, he came up a couple of strokes short of moving on.  I noticed that Kuehne doubled the 18th hole, a par 5, to miss by one stroke.  With his length, I would not have expected that, but Q school can do some weird things to people...

Ouch...I see he was -12 and 2 inside the -10 needed to advance but played the last 3 +3.  He was out of competition for about 5 years with a back injury and  played 12 events this season on an 18 event medical extension making only 2 cuts so it doesn`t appear that is competitive game has fully returned.

Many of the guys who don`t advance out of stage 2 have no status anywhere, but at least Kuehne should get 6 more PGA Tour events followed by Web.com status (as a recent PGA Tour member).

Others who advanced to Finals include:

Todd Hamilton -12

Kevin Tway -11

Shaun Micheel -7

Alexander Noren -7

Others who didn`t make it past stage 2 include:

Jordan Spieth -8 (retains am status...only player other than Tiger to win multiple Jr Ams, led NCAA Champ Texas in scoring, t16 at the Nelson at age 16 and top 25 at the US Open this year)

Chris Riley -5

Joe Durant-5

Todd Baek +7 (he shot -11 front nine 25 this summer on his way to a course record 60 at Salt Creek)

Kind of puts some of the "I'm gonna play on tour", the "Dan Plan", and my personal favorite, the "I'm just waiting till I turn 50 so I can play on the Champions Tour" threads into perspective..... These guys are STUPID good, with established pedigrees and they didn't make it past stage 2.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Watched the final round of Q-School (2nd stage) at the Brookville, Fl location today. The fairways were dormant bermuda (lots of runout on the drives) that were not very impressive but the greens were fast and hard (rye grass) and looked pretty true. A very wide open golf course. Some of the widest fairways I've seen in a professional event. I followed the leading group: Robert Karlsson, Arjun Atwal and a former Clemson golfer and e-tour and hooters tour player named Brian Duncan. Karlsson's play was world class as always and Duncan hung right in there with him. They were bombing 300 yard drives all day long, right down the middle. The almost always chose a draw off the tee (it could have been the wind direction that was causing them to go with that shape) The wind was in their face off many tees so maybe that's why they chose that boring draw trajectory. They also hit big high draws into the par 3's. Seems like they like to ride the wind instead of trying to hold against it. Did not see any cut shots except for one attempt at a cut on 18 when Karlsson tried to cut one from a hook lie (ball above his feet) but he didn't pull it off. It went straight and the wind blew it left of the green. Completely amazed by how well PGA tour players drive the ball. So controlled and long. Karlsson hit a few stinger 3 woods that I'm sure look just like Tiger's. From the lay out of the course it seems that the PGA tour is mostly trying to find out if these guys can hit it long enough to play on tour. You've got to at least be able to hit it 280. I don't see how Billy Hurley played so well given that he's one of the shortest hitters on tour.

Driver: Taylormade Superfast 2.0.  9.5 Stiff Reax 4.8

3 Wood: Taylormade Superfast 2.0 Loft 15 Stiff  Reax 4.8

Irons: Mizuno MP-64 4 iron. MP-69, 5-PW, DG S-300 Shafts. 

Wedges: Mizuno MP T-11, 50 (gap) and 56 (sand).   

Putter: Odyssey Two Ball putter (circa 2004) 

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

• 2 weeks later...

This is the final year PGA Tour cards will be handed out at q-school. 174 players for 25 spots.  Beginning in 2013, players who survive this gauntlet will get only a spot on the Web.com Tour.  Here's a look at the notables in the field, some might surprise you.

Quote:

Arjun Atwal : The 39-year-old got off to a rough start in 2012 with seven straight missed cuts to open the season. He had just one top 10 the rest of the year but did show signs of life with a tie for seventh in the second stage to make it to PGA West.

Joseph Bramlett : After becoming the first African American in 25 years to reach the TOUR via q-school, Bramlett failed to keep his card following the 2011 season. He spent this year on the Web.com Tour, where he had three top 10s, including a runner-up in Chile.

Patrick Cantlay : After four top 25s in five starts as an amateur in 2011, the former UCLA standout turned pro earlier this year but didn't have quite the same level of success. Cantlay had zero top 25s in 10 starts on the PGA TOUR, though he did manage two in four starts on the Web.com Tour, including a runner-up at the Chiquita Classic.

Glen Day : The 47-year-old journeyman has made nearly $9 million in his career but he hasn't been a regular on TOUR since 2009. He also failed to finish in the top 100 the last two years at q-school after tying for 26th in 2009.

Danny Ellis : A journeyman with 113 TOUR starts on his resume, Ellis spent most of this year on the NGA Professional Tour, where he finished 19th in money before surviving the second stage of q-school to advance to the finals.

school3.jpg
Flesch

Steve Flesch : The bad news: Flesch missed the cut in all 12 starts he made on TOUR this year, failing to break par in any of them. The good news: He still has a chance to get a card this week.

Bobby Gates: A year ago, Gates bogeyed his final hole of the season to finish outside the top 125 on the money list. He didn't get that close this year, missing six of his last eight cuts.

Todd Hamilton : A tie for eighth in Reno was the one-time British Open champ's first top 10 since 2009. It was also his only one in 10 starts as Hamilton finished over par in seven of them.

Matt Jones : The veteran split time between the PGA TOUR and Web.com Tour, making three cuts in seven starts on the former and five cuts in 10 starts on the latter. His tie for 10th at the Chitimatcha Louisiana Open was his first top 10 on either tour in two years.

Robert Karlsson : It was a strange year for the 6-foot-5 Swede. He had two top-30 finishes, including a tie for 29th at the U.S. Open, in 13 starts on TOUR and with two events left snuck into the FedExCup Playoffs. On the flip side, he finished 158th on the money list. He's playing well right now, though, having earned a spot in the field by taking medalist honors at Southern Hills Plantation Club in Brooksville, Fla.

Danny Lee : The 22-year-old seemed to find his footing in 2012 with two top 25s in five starts on the Web.com Tour, including a runner-up finish, and three top 25s in 26 starts on TOUR.

Shaun Micheel : The one-time major champ has been on a slippery downhill slope the last couple of years, failing to sniff the top 125 on the money list. Last year, he failed to break 71 in five of his six rounds in the final stage of q-school. This year, he shot a 73 in the final round of second stage to survive by a stroke.

James Nitties : The fun-loving Aussie spent the past two seasons on the Web.com Tour, where he had just one top 10 in 20 starts this season. The good news: In 2008, he tied for second at q-school at PGA West.

Nick O'Hern: The man who once took down Tiger Woods in match play nearly won at Pebble Beach this year but rinsed his tee shot on the final hole. This is his first trip to the final stage of q-school.

Rod Pampling : The Aussie entered the final week of the season 124th on the money list and in position to keep his card -- until he missed the cut to fall out of the top 125. This is his first q-school appearance since 2000.

school1.jpg
Reed

Patrick Reed: The former Augusta State standout Monday-qualified a ridiculous six times this year, missing the cut just once in those starts. And in his 12 total starts on TOUR he finished in the top 25 four times. In the second stage of q-school, Reed also shared co-medalist honors.

Paul Stankowski : Stankowski, who turns 43 on Sunday, has successfully navigated the final stage three times, the last coming in 2006. Playing on past champion status this year, he made four cuts in eight starts on TOUR with his best finish a tie for 42nd. Stankowski also made nine cuts in 16 starts on the Web.com Tour with one top 25.

Vaughn Taylor : The 36-year-old TOUR regular was in position to finish in the top 125 on the money list until a final-round 74 at Disney dropped him to 139th. Last year, Taylor tied for fifth at q-school.

Camilo Villegas : The three-time TOUR winner also was in good shape to finish in the top 125 on the money list following a 65 in the opening round at Disney. Then he failed to break 70 the remaining three rounds and ended the year 144th. This is his first trip to q-school.

Dean Wilson : Playing on a minor medical extension, Wilson made just four starts on TOUR this year and failed to make the cut in any of them. This is his second straight trip to the final stage.

Ryan Yip : In his only other final stage appearance, Yip tied for 30th here last year to earn a spot on the Web.com Tour. The soon-to-be 28-year-old made just four cuts in 17 starts, however.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I am a little surprised/disappointed not to see John Daly playing...yes he will get into a decent number of tournys with conditional status/sponsors exemptions, but it would have been nice to see him go for his full card and not have to rely on the sponsors invites to fill out his schedule.

Originally Posted by MEfree

I am a little surprised/disappointed not to see John Daly playing...yes he will get into a decent number of tournys with conditional status/sponsors exemptions, but it would have been nice to see him go for his full card and not have to rely on the sponsors invites to fill out his schedule.

He has a full card on the European Tour for 2013

Good to see Eric Compton making it back on tour.  Just getting updated now myself.  They're saying Edward Loar had a disastrous finish,

Quote:

For a few hours Monday, Steven Bowditch reminded observers that there is no pressure quite like the final day of PGA Tour Q-School.

The leader after five days and 90 holes, Bowditch played his first six holes on the Stadium Course at PGA West in 4 over, plummeting out of the lead and, most critically, near the projected cut line.

“It did cross my mind,” Bowditch told Golf Channel afterward. “I really didn’t want to be a Q-School victim.”

No worries. The Australian recovered to shoot 74 and earn his 2013 Tour card, but he was just one of several players who danced around the cut line Monday during the last round of Q-School under its traditional format.

Indeed, this year’s edition, per usual, was equal parts ecstasy and exasperation.

Dong-Hwan Lee earned medalist honors at 25-under 407. Former European Ryder Cup member Ross Fisher , Steve LeBrun and Kris Blanks were another shot back.

Another player to lock up his Tour card: Si Woo Kim, who at 17 years, 5 months and 6 days became the youngest player to earn a PGA Tour card through Q-School. (The record previously was held by Ty Tryon (2001), who was one month older than Kim.)

The rub here: Kim, who advanced through pre-qualifying, won’t be able to take up Tour membership until June 28, 2013, when he turns 18. (There is an abbreviated schedule in ’13, remember, with the FedEx Cup playoffs beginning in August.) In the meantime, he can play as many as 12 events as a non-member with a combination of sponsor exemptions, special invites and top 10s.

Among the other notables who finished inside the cut line (low 25 and ties), which fell at 17-under 415: two-time heart-transplant recipient Erik Compton , 11-time European Tour winner Robert Karlsson , former NCAA champion Scott Langley and Monday-qualifying maven Patrick Reed.

“Being able to do this, the six rounds this week, with my health, you can’t write anything better than that,” Compton said. “I proved a lot to myself.”

A sampling of those who will be without a PGA Tour card in 2013: Camilo Villegas , Heath Slocum, Derek Lamely, Rod Pampling, Vaughn Taylor, Arjun Awtal, Len Mattiace, Patrick Cantlay and Tom Pernice Jr. (shot final-round 79 to move outside cut line).

Perhaps the most heartbreaking story? Edward Loar. Having began the final round in a tie for third, he came to the par-3 17 th inside the cut line, but rinsed his tee shot and carded a double bogey . He also found the water on 18 and bogeyed the hole, finishing two shots off the number.

“I tried hard,” Loar told Golf Channel’s Curt Byrum. “We all know how cruel the game is. Hopefully I can learn from it. I persevered for 13 years, so hopefully this won’t set me back too much.”

This, of course, is the last year that Q-School will provide direct access to the PGA Tour. Beginning next season, the top 25 will earn Web.com Tour cards.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Talked to my friend last week about his experience at Q-School. One thing that stood out was the endorsement money that comes with a PGA or European Tour card.  It may be different for each manufacturer, but he said his equipment contract pays him $25,000 for getting a Web.com tour card. However, if he could have gotten a PGA card, he would have gotten $250,000 before he stuck a tee into the ground.

Anyone see the GC story on Si Woo Kim?  17 years old, qualified for his Tour card, but they won't let him join until his 18th birthday in June.  That means that he misses out on most of the big tournaments of the year.  If they are going to let a 17 year old go to Q-school, then they need to let him play if he succeeds.  So maybe he needs to have a chaperon or guardian along to cover possible liability issues?  I don't know, but it's wrong to let him qualify on ability, then disqualify him for age.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

• Administrator

Talked to my friend last week about his experience at Q-School. One thing that stood out was the endorsement money that comes with a PGA or European Tour card.  It may be different for each manufacturer, but he said his equipment contract pays him $25,000 for getting a Web.com tour card. However, if he could have gotten a PGA card, he would have gotten $250,000 before he stuck a tee into the ground.

That's hard to believe. I'm not saying I don't believe you, just that it's difficult. The advertising benefit of a) having a golfer who will typically finish 75-150 on the money list and b) adding "one" to your club or ball count for each week or the year in total can't be worth $250k can it? Especially since if he wins he probably has separate performance bonuses, with $250k as you said up front.

But at the same time, that's why making it to the PGA Tour can be such a big deal...

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

That's hard to believe. I'm not saying I don't believe you, just that it's difficult. The advertising benefit of a) having a golfer who will typically finish 75-150 on the money list and b) adding "one" to your club or ball count for each week or the year in total can't be worth $250k can it? Especially since if he wins he probably has separate performance bonuses, with $250k as you said up front.

But at the same time, that's why making it to the PGA Tour can be such a big deal...

I know, I couldn't believe it myself when he said it. I would have thought, like you, that there would be some nominal payout up front, plus free equipment of course, then the big money would come in with performance.  But maybe $250K is chump change to those equipment companies.  And maybe they hope that some unknown has a great week and wins a tournament out of the blue.  It's beginning to happen a lot these days.

WOW, that's amazing... Years ago, you had to prove you had the financial backing to travel on tour for the entire year, about $40,000 if you ate at fast food places and stay in the cheap hotels. No wonder that's no longer an issue!!!

Kevin

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Anyone see the GC story on Si Woo Kim?  17 years old, qualified for his Tour card, but they won't let him join until his 18th birthday in June.  That means that he misses out on most of the big tournaments of the year.  If they are going to let a 17 year old go to Q-school, then they need to let him play if he succeeds.  So maybe he needs to have a chaperon or guardian along to cover possible liability issues?  I don't know, but it's wrong to let him qualify on ability, then disqualify him for age.

I didn`t see the story, but did see MVMac's post which discussed it...the biggest joke is that he is allowed to play up to 12 tournys BEFORE his 18th as a NON-MEMBER.  I am speculating, but I think there is an age restriction for both regular and Champions Q school- can't play in either UNLESS you are turning 18/50 the following season.  With him not turning 18 until the end of June and the Playoffs starting in August he has a max of 7 tournaments to earn points to make the playoffs.

Note: This thread is 4132 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!