IGNORED

Playing Thru

The Rambler
Note: This thread is 6130 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. What is your policy on playing through?

• I always am playing through people
    • I play though an occasional slow-some
    • Never have had to play through
    • I am always being played through

Playing thorugh is a matter of common courtesy and common sense, something that many people apparently know nothing about.

This just summed up my thoughts on the subject perfectly. Common sense and courtesy, they should make these available in pro shops around the country

-- For Sale: Titleist 907 Driver

... Behind us there were 3, 2somes in a row... on the 17th tee (short par 3), 2 of the 2somes pulled up at the exact same time (we had waited for the 2some in front of us, so the 2some behind was on a tee for a bit, the 2some behind them pulled up with them while they were waiting)....

If play was steady, that's bad management at the pro shop, or by the starter. They should pair up twosomes automatically when they are starting off consecutively behind foursomes.

Bury me with a golf glove in my pocket - just in case!

If play was steady, that's bad management at the pro shop, or by the starter. They should pair up twosomes automatically when they are starting off consecutively behind foursomes.

Very true. The course needs to make it a written rule that they reserve the right to pair up non-foursomes.

Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

Very true. The course needs to make it a written rule that they reserve the right to pair up non-foursomes.

Not always possible. I'm a starter on my home course, and we do that when possible, but there are times when the players don't show up in time to do that. There are always players who check in at the last minute, and a twosome in front of them has to be sent out on time. On a public course, you have to be careful how you treat people, or they will go someplace else where they do get the respect they expect... you can put yourself right out of business. That means sometimes you will see a foursome followed by a twosome followed by a twosome followed by a foursome followed by a single. If they are all keeping up with the group ahead, then the pace of play shouldn't be any different than it would be if they were all foursomes. On a properly run course, barring extenuating circumstances (frost or lightning delays), they will all be started on their reserved starting times, and thus should have no reason to gripe.

Also, there is no advantage to letting a twosome play through a foursome unless the course is wide open ahead. A twosome can't expect 7 or 8 foursomes to stand around waiting while they play through one group after another. I played with a friend yesterday as a twosome, and the foursome ahead of us offered to let us play through, but we declined as that would have just put us waiting one space farther up the line. The course in front of us was full, and there really wasn't anyplace to go. Instead we spent the time talking and enjoying the day.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Not always possible. I'm a starter on my home course, and we do that when possible, but there are times when the players don't show up in time to do that. There are always players who check in at the last minute, and a twosome in front of them has to be sent out on time. On a public course, you have to be careful how you treat people, or they will go someplace else where they do get the respect they expect...

I'm sorry, but my Mama taught me that it is rude to be late for

anything . If an A**hole doesn't know this, and shows up late and is not understanding of the problems he causes, you should enroll him in etiquette classes. It is not my problem if his wife or boss holds him up, (or whatever his excuse is) he is being disrespectful of all other patrons of the facility. Make allowences for your own stuff, don't ask me to. The rule is "Be on the tee ready to hit the ball at your tee time..." no exceptions, I don't care who your daddy is or who you are. Courtesy can not be ignored. New rule , If the MF is late, Make him wait! (or go home!!!) If the aforementioned rude few are sent away, enough people would play more often to more than make up for their absence. LATE IS RUDE Sorry! This is another of my favorite SOAP BOXES.

INTHE BAG(today)
Driver: Speedline 10 10.5deg
Fairway woods: speedline 3w
Putter:Master grig

Irons: A2 OS

SandWedge 1200GE

Balls: Soft Feel

Bag: Great Divider

Lots of Hope!

Originally Posted by Fourputt View Post
Not always possible. I'm a starter on my home course, and we do that when possible, but there are times when the players don't show up in time to do that. There are always players who check in at the last minute, and a twosome in front of them has to be sent out on time. On a public course, you have to be careful how you treat people, or they will go someplace else where they do get the respect they expect...

I never said anything about them being late in my previous post... you better re-read it.

Pretty clear you've never worked at a public course. With that attitude you'd be out of business in 2 years. I see guys like you at the course all the time, complaining about things that are simple realities of public golf. "I got stuck behind a couple of women.", or "I got stuck behind a bunch of old men." That's how it is, deal with it. We have a 9 minute spacing between tee times. When I send out a twosome, and the last guy for the next group checks in 4 minutes later... it's too late to join up with the previous group (they are already hitting their 2nd shots by then), but he's still on time (not late) for his reservation. He doesn't get shut out just because he didn't make it in time for a situation he knew nothing about. I don't say it's an ideal situation, but that how it is, and if that's a problem for you, then you must never play busy public courses. On a day like today (Thursday), we get a lot of guys slipping out of work early, and they will often cut it just as fine as they can. Sometimes it's traffic, or maybe just underestimating how long it takes to get to the course, but as long as they are there by their stipulated tee time, they get the benefit of the doubt.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

the foursome ahead of us offered to let us play through, but we declined as that would have just put us waiting one space farther up the line. The course in front of us was full, and there really wasn't anyplace to go. Instead we spent the time talking and enjoying the day.

I learned a good course management lesson in California where the play is often slow. My pro told me that when I am waiting for a green to clear and I'm over 200 yards out I should kill time by hitting a lay up shot to my favorite chipping distance and then play my other anticipated shot when the group moves off and see which one scores the best.

I began laying up a lot and learned to save strokes and win holes in matches too.

Bury me with a golf glove in my pocket - just in case!

As a single, I'm always playing through people.

A one-ball has no standing on the course according to the rules and have to let all other groups thru.

i only play thru people im stuck behind idont go out to play thru people.They have to let you thru if they are holding you up no question about it.

In the Wilson Stand Bag

Driver:........Ping........G5 Reg shaft
3 Wood:......Mitsushiba.........M575-15°

Irons:.........Taylormade RocketBallz......3 Hybrid - PW..Stiff Shafts

Wedges:....Cleveland CG16 56 & 60

A one-ball has no standing on the course according to the rules and have to let all other groups thru.

I don't go out with the

intent of playing through people. It's just my rhythm and playing style that I can play 18 in 2:30 without breaking a sweat and post a good score. It's just that few other people play that quickly, so I'm more or less forced to play through - especially if the course is wide open ahead of a slow foursome. I only play as a single during the week when it's not as crowded - on weekends I make sure I'm at least in a twosome, if not more. My home house is actually three different courses - 54 holes - so no one course is jammed to the brim, ever. (On weekends, I have enough common sense to know that I'll be grouped up with three strangers which in all likeliness will include OJ Simpson's alter ego, an IRS tax agent, and a scratch golfer who makes me look really bad.)
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

Note: This thread is 6130 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!