• Announcements

    • iacas

      Visit FlagstickRule.com   03/13/2017

      Visit the site flagstickrule.com to read about and sign a petition for the USGA/R&A regarding the one terrible rule in the proposed "modernized" rules for 2019.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zipazoid

Did Trevino just describe Stack & Tilt?

14 posts in this topic

I just watched this vid of Lee Buck, obviously back in the day based on how young he looked, and the first two minutes of the vid he describes how to impart backspin on the ball. What he described sounds a lot like stack & tilt.

Thoughts?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sign up (or log in) today! It's free (and you won't see this ad anymore)!

Sign up (or log in) today! It's free (and you won't see this ad anymore)!

Yup, I would call that S&T;, although I am not intimate with all the technical details of S&T.;

Lee was one of the best 'trappers' of the ball. He had immaculate lower body action.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No. What makes you say that? 80% of your weight staying left? In S&T; it's not even above 55%.

Middle of your stance is pretty standard ball position with a wedge for any swing.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by iacas

No. What makes you say that? 80% of your weight staying left? In S&T; it's not even above 55%.

Middle of your stance is pretty standard ball position with a wedge for any swing.

Just asking. I ask to learn.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Few things.  Trevino isn't doing exactly what he's feeling with regards to the weight.  It's a centered pivot, head stays very steady and the left shoulder moves down and back.  He's demonstrating a different kind of pattern for flighting the ball med-low, useful for wedges and something you could do with equipment from that time.  S&T; pattern is designed to hit high draws.  High draws patterns will tend to have a relatively shallow angle of attack.  Good example would be Tom Lehman, not a "S&T; swing" but a high draw player.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by zipazoid

Just asking. I ask to learn.

And I was asking what made you ask. :) Just the "80% weight forward" bit? Which is way more than S&T; want?

Or was there something else? :)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by mvmac

Few things.  Trevino isn't doing exactly what he's feeling with regards to the weight.  It's a centered pivot, head stays very steady and the left shoulder moves down and back.  He's demonstrating a different kind of pattern for flighting the ball med-low, useful for wedges and something you could do with equipment from that time.  S&T; pattern is designed to hit high draws.  High draws patterns will tend to have a relatively shallow angle of attack.  Good example would be Tom Lehman, not a "S&T; swing" but a high draw player.

Thanks Mike.

As to you, Erik, since you seem to want to know why I asked, here's what happened. I watched the vid. When Lee said 75%-80% of the weight on the left and keep it there thru the swing I thought oh, isn't that stack & tilt? See, I don't know the details of S&T; so I thought, 'Hey I know...I can post this on TST & I'll be told whether it is or isn't, and along the way I'll learn something.' So thanks for explaining that it's not S&T.;

So why did I ask? That's why.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by zipazoid

As to you, Erik, since you seem to want to know why I asked, here's what happened. I watched the vid. When Lee said 75%-80% of the weight on the left and keep it there thru the swing I thought oh, isn't that stack & tilt? See, I don't know the details of S&T; so I thought, 'Hey I know...I can post this on TST & I'll be told whether it is or isn't, and along the way I'll learn something.' So thanks for explaining that it's not S&T.;

So why did I ask? That's why.

The reason why I asked why you asked is because I was curious if that was still your perception of S&T.; It appears to be that your perception is "75-80% weight forward and stays there," which means that they aren't getting their message out very well. :)

And as you probably know, we've moved well beyond the S&T; swing, but for a lot of people it's still a pattern and a swing worth a little study because it's fairly simple to understand quickly (as every single-swing method tends to be).

Also note that Lee could beat down on the ball a bit more than most without hitting draws because his baseline (and his stance) was rotated so far left that it was almost impossible for him to hit a draw or a hook.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by iacas

And as you probably know, we've moved well beyond the S&T; swing,

Explain. Are you saying S&T; isn't the thing anymore? What do you mean by 'moved well beyond'...?

Again, I'm just trying to learn. Figured I'd ask the experts.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by zipazoid

Explain. Are you saying S&T; isn't the thing anymore? What do you mean by 'moved well beyond'...?

While S&T; is good, and most golfers could stand to incorporate some S&T; components to improve, for two+ years now we've moved beyond S&T; as it is limiting (as all single-swing patterns or methods will end up being) in both its approach and scope. We'll still teach S&T; to those who request it, and while we've never really "taught" S&T; exclusively, we've taught it a LOT less the past two+ years. You came to our 5 Simple Keys® free lesson day, and you've been on this site, so I'm surprised you haven't picked up on this. We take our name ("Golf Evolution") seriously and are constantly exploring better ways to instruct, more accurate information, and so on.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Oh, I definitely picked up on that at the free lesson...you definitely weren't teaching S&T; (as I understand it).

I guess when you said "we've" moved beyond it, I assumed instructors in general, like it was a flavor of the month type of instruction that had been discredited or whatever.

We seem to misunderstand each other at times, Erik. We both do it, as you said I seem to 'haven't picked up on' things. It's not a lack of comprehension on my part. It's more a lack of time. I'm not a golf pro. I don't dissect the swing down into detail, but you do. I'm just asking the expert.

I was just wondering if Lee was teaching S&T;, since it was years before we heard of it...was Lee being a pioneer, as it were. I don't know what percentage of weight is pre-set to the left. I'm sure it's here on the site somewhere but I'm too lazy to research it. Was just wondering if what Lee was saying was S&T.; That's all.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

S&T; is not discredited -- it apparently works for some, and apparently touring pros emphasize some of it, all of it, etc., depending on what parts of it works for them, and to what extent.

I'm into the 8-9th viewing of 2.0, range time, and viewing Erik's and Mike's posts here - and after a year, it's showing consistency. I learn something each time I view the DVD's. Apparently, on the evolutionary scale, I'm several years behind. But that's okay...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by zipazoid

Oh, I definitely picked up on that at the free lesson...you definitely weren't teaching S&T; (as I understand it).

I guess when you said "we've" moved beyond it, I assumed instructors in general, like it was a flavor of the month type of instruction that had been discredited or whatever.

"Moved beyond" meaning S&T; is a pattern, a way to swing a golf club. I feel some S&T; instructors can get too caught up in certain positions and don't think conceptually about the information.  5SK is a system of prioritization.  Jim Furyk and Matt Kuchar hit different positions but both do all 5 Keys, most of the time ;-)

That and continuing to do research, using the latest technology available to keep learning/busting myths

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by zipazoid

I guess when you said "we've" moved beyond it, I assumed instructors in general, like it was a flavor of the month type of instruction that had been discredited or whatever.

No, I can't speak for whatever other people are doing. Just me, often Golf Evolution, and rarely but sometimes 5 Simple Keys® instructors.

Originally Posted by zipazoid

We seem to misunderstand each other at times, Erik. We both do it, as you said I seem to 'haven't picked up on' things. It's not a lack of comprehension on my part. It's more a lack of time. I'm not a golf pro. I don't dissect the swing down into detail, but you do. I'm just asking the expert.

I know you're not a pro. I'm just surprised that you haven't picked up on some things by hanging out here. Unless you hate S&T;, I'm under the impression most people will gather some things from all that we've written about it. Maybe you've not ventured into the "technique/instruction" threads as often as most people tend to.

Originally Posted by zipazoid

I was just wondering if Lee was teaching S&T;, since it was years before we heard of it...was Lee being a pioneer, as it were. I don't know what percentage of weight is pre-set to the left. I'm sure it's here on the site somewhere but I'm too lazy to research it. Was just wondering if what Lee was saying was S&T.; That's all.

Lee did a lot of great things. S&T; is just a classification system that then molds itself into one common set of swing characteristics to yield one swing pattern. Nicklaus had components, Palmer, Hogan, Jones, Snead... every great player has the components to varying degrees. Some were missing a few altogether, but most had them in some amount.

It's a good question. I just wondered where you were coming from so I could mold the answer to better satisfy what you wanted to know.

Originally Posted by mvmac

"Moved beyond" meaning S&T; is a pattern, a way to swing a golf club. I feel some S&T; instructors can get too caught up in certain positions and don't think conceptually about the information.  5SK is a system of prioritization.  Jim Furyk and Matt Kuchar hit different positions but both do all 5 Keys, most of the time ;-)

That and continuing to do research, using the latest technology available to keep learning/busting myths

Yes. We can teach more people better with 5SK than we can trying to teach S&T.; And to be perfectly blunt, even when if you had asked us if we were teaching S&T; and we'd replied in the affirmative, you'd discover we hadn't been teaching it precisely the way it's built. As soon as we understood it (really doesn't take long), we'd begun modifying pieces of it to better suit the variety of golfers out there.

Single patterns - methods, or "one way" of doing something - are inherently inflexible. As Mike said, 5SK encompasses all of the best golfers, and helps all of the less skilled players get better.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • 2017 TST Partners

    PING Golf
    Leupold Golf
    Snell Golf
    Talamore Golf Resort
    Lowest Score Wins
  • Popular Now

  • Posts

    • For the average golfer, getting a driver "that won't hurt your game" is critical. Getting fitted forces you to take a look at what really works, rather than what you think works. As for tech, a lot of it has been incremental change, with an occasional tech bubble that may or may not take off. Depends on when "recent" starts.... 2004: TM R7 driver features adjustable weights in the head to help shape ball flight. 2008: Muzuno MP600 driver features "fast  track" slots in the sole that let you move weighted screws to left or right. It was going on clearance about the time I got fitted for my Callaway HyperX Tour driver. 2012: TM goes with "loft up" ... touting high-launch, low-spin drivers as the route to exceptional distance. Several OEMs start making mini-drivers. TM also adds SLDR and Jetspeed drivers. 2015: "Turbulators," small fins in the crown of the Ping G30 drivers that promise better wind flow over the head. 2017: The Callaway Epic driver with "jailbreak" technology: two metal posts behind the clubface that promise better power transfer through the ball, and a gain of about 10 yards... It depends on how much the technology is new, and how much it is recycled from a few years back. And so we haven't forgotten, parting wisdom from above...  
    • He must have been very messed up or the authorities would not have arrested him.  Why was he driving in that state? Where was Notah to look out and take his keys? Imo he must have been way messed up. .09 breathalyzer or something and a minor infraction like a rolling stop and there's no way he's arrested unless he is not well liked anyway in that area.  
    • I'm just saying, I don't understand why cheating 'scandals' are scandals. I love my wife, I don't cheat on her, but that doesn't mean I don't 'want' beautiful women I meet. Perhaps it's a difference in views, or a different in age that gives us a different outlook, but like I said, when I was young, we couldn't wait for away games to leave the gf's behind. If you think Tiger is the only married womanizer on tour, i'm almost positive you would be sorely mistaken. Superstars live a different set of rules than us, and Golfers are held to this higher moral standard than any other athlete, it's ridiculous. (I'm not talking about golf rules, i'm talking personal life). Having been born with an abundance of talent does not mean you need to be a rolemodel, Athletes are the LAST people we should pick as role models, because a majority of them are just like Tiger.    Had this been Jordan in the early 90's, either this, or the cheating scandal, it would have been a non-issue as long as he scored 30 points a game. But the press hushed things up for Jordan (his gambling, cheating, and partying were well known), because he was just that good. But from Tiger we expect more, just because it's golf. I don't get it. He was as human as the rest of us before his fall, and he still is today. I don't get riled up about an athlete doing something stupid, because I know what it's like to be just a university athlete, so I can't imagine what its like to be a superstar and avoid all these things, on the road constantly, women throwing themselves at you, women willing to jump in bed with other women with you because of who you are. It would be hard for any mortal man not to fall in that trap. 
    • Hi. I'm looking for some advice. I have played a set of mizuno mp 52s for the last year fitted with DG SL r300 shafts. Over the last 5 or 6 rounds I have noticed that my normal high ball flight has now started to land with moon dust on my ball it's going that high and I'm losing nearly a clubs distance. The main prob is I'm hitting the ball better than ever. I'm not a long hitter, my 7 iron is 140 yards with a good strike. My last round I was constantly coming up at least a club short.getting really frustrated playing well but constantly leaving myself 20 foot putts for birdie/par. I've decided to try reshaft have my irons with DG s300 shafts in an attempt to try and bring down the ball flight a bit. I've hit stiff flex before and not noticed any loss in distance and accuracy. As I only play 5-pw and the set of s300 shafts I've bought are 4-pw im wondering whether it might be an idea to soft step them. I'm asking because I'm always reading it's best to play the softest flex possible. Does soft stepping make much of a difference? Would it make them a firm flex?  Any advice/experience appreciated.
    • I'll echo what @iacas said, I believe that everyone who plays reasonably serious golf should have the rules with them, in some form.  I've been a member of the USGA for a good while now, and one o the good things about membership is the brand new RoG that I get every spring.  Anyway, you got the right response above.  I actually had a fox steal MY ball a couple weeks ago, in plain sight, and we all knew the rule in our group.
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Blog Entries

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. JJ spud
      JJ spud
      (43 years old)
  • Get Great Gear with Amazon