IGNORED

iPhone case I made

kregan
Note: This thread is 3908 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I knew the fix was in

The case looks cool, plus it's different.  If AT&T; would get their cell tower issues resolved slight signal attenuation issues caused by cases or how the phone is held wouldn't even need to be discussed.

Originally Posted by iacas

Shhh. It's a secret plot by the government to enhance the alien capabilities for mind control. How do you think Obama won the election anyway? Shhhhhhhhhh.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well, that was fun!  Thanks Erik, Clambake and Beachcomber for entertaining me for the last 10 minutes of my day (even if all of the technical stuff is way over my head) and ...

Kelly, that is a really cool case.  Have not seen anything like it, and the tech. concerns notwithstanding, it seems like there would be a market for something like that.  You could be like the Orange County Choppers of iPhone cases!

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Kelly, that is a really cool case.  Have not seen anything like it, and the tech. concerns notwithstanding, it seems like there would be a market for something like that.  You could be like the Orange County Choppers of iPhone cases!

I'm not sure his son is old enough to be lazy and constantly get in shouting matches while trying to take over the business. Or that he even has a son...?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Hi Guys,

My first version of the case killed the signal pretty good but I changed 2 things that restored the signal...

1) the spacers are aluminum and it was shorting out the antenna, I added heat shrink around them but they are now made from nylon.

2) If you look at the picture of the back you will see the semi U shaped cut out near the bottom.  The original case back did not have that and the wifi signal was being affected the most.  Once I added that open area on the rear the signal went back to normal.

If you search the web for "internal iphone4 antenna you can find info suggesting that an antenna resides in the lower rear section of the phone.

While not scientific my signal around town has unchanged from what it was before installing the case.

What I am planning on doing is making the cut out larger and inlaying some Brazilian Cherry for a nice contrast. I also plan on using smaller hardware and reduce the size a bit more.

BTW...  Its not a tin hat, its a plate you put in your shoe!!!

Kelly

www.finescale360.com

Here is the fist case with a the wood inlay.  It was a lot of work and it still is not perfect. That is Brazilian Cherry with baby oil for a finish.

Things I would change:

1) engraving is to big/deep needs to be finer.

2) not sure I like the paint fill.

3) inlay is stepped (you cant see it) and I think I would like to reverse the step so it would be impossible for the

inlay to pop out. but that would require flipping the case and milling both sides.

I am thinking a sand man logo would fit well on the back!

Kelly

www.finescale360.com

Wow, I bet you get a nice signal with all that metal..no?

Wow, I bet you didn't bother reading the thread before commenting. Lol.

• Upvote 1

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Very nice. Looks like it makes your iPhone pretty much indestructible from drops.

I wouldn't count on it. :-D Looks nice, but it does add some size and weight.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

• 1 month later...

Do over!

I went for a minimal effect! No engravings, no inlays, no spacers.

The antennas are exposed and I have found no loss of signal.

Kelly

www.finescale360.com

Originally Posted by kregan

Do over!

I went for a minimal effect! No engravings, no inlays, no spacers.

The antennas are exposed and I have found no loss of signal.

Very nice kregan!  I think if you did the minimalist frame with the cool outer edges shown on your first model (looked like a person's fingers would grip it o so well), it would be awesome. How much would you want for something like that - that could accommodate a Motorola Razor Maxx?

Titleist 910D2 10.5* Stiff / Taylormade 3 Wood - Superfast 2.0 15*  3 Superfast 2.0 Rescue 18* Stiff Shafts

• 5 months later...

Really nice case, I used to sell iPhone accessories and there is a Japenese company with a similar design (still a lot of differences) but with a cage style case with visible bolts/screws etc. I tried sourcing some of there products and it is very tough due to Chinese copies being made. The RRP was something crazy for the case around $100.

I think you can carve out a market with a good price point

Note: This thread is 3908 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!