IGNORED

Luke Donald's Impressive Putting Stat

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4140 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The current World No. 2 Tweeted his numbers after the PGA Tour Twitter feed pointed out he made 90.2% of his putts inside 10 feet.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Easy game!

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

• Administrator

While still REALLY* impressive, it becomes a bit less so when you realize how statistics work:

* PGA Tour average is still about 50/50 from 7'10". http://thesandtrap.com/t/51757/pga-tour-putts-gained-make-percentage-stats

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

He made more 10 footers than 8 footers?

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

He is a top notch putter.  It is surprising when he misses inside 10.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator

http://www.pgatour.com/r/stats/info/?484

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Luke Donald led the tour in the best stat on tour in my opinion – Strokes Gained-Putting with +.844. That means he gained an average of .844 strokes on the most “average” putter for every round he played and has led the tour in this category the last three years. [URL=http://www.andrewricegolf.com/tag/shotbyshot/]http://www.andrewricegolf.com/tag/shotbyshot/[/URL]

Driver: Ping K15 10°, Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 63g Stiff
Fairway 4-wood: TaylorMade RocketBallz Tour TP 17.5°, Matrix Ozik TP7HD S shaft

Hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 3H-4H, Aldila DVS Stiff
Irons: MIURA PP-9003, Dynamic Gold Superlite S300, Sand Wedge: Scratch 8620 56°
Putter: Nike Method Concept Belly 44"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B330-S

• Administrator
Originally Posted by JerseyThursday

Luke Donald led the tour in the best stat on tour in my opinion – Strokes Gained-Putting with +.844. That means he gained an average of .844 strokes on the most “average” putter for every round he played and has led the tour in this category the last three years.

http://www.andrewricegolf.com/tag/shotbyshot/

Why is that the best stat on the PGA Tour?

Originally Posted by colin007

wow...how can almost all those guys be Titleist guys?  thats a weird coincidence...

Just to clarify for everyone, Titleist ball players

Mike McLoughlin

Carl Petterson is #3 and he uses the long putter, we should ban the long putter!! :) I think Jimmy Walker is the most impressive from the list mvmac posted. Most attempts and still was 89%.

Michael

• Administrator
Originally Posted by mchepp

Carl Petterson is #3 and he uses the long putter, we should ban the long putter!! :)

I agree.

But no worries, we are. :)

Originally Posted by colin007

Carl Petterson doesn't use a long putter, he's just fat...

?

Mike McLoughlin

I like the strokes gained while putting stat, i know people have been harping on it being the key stat to being the best player. That was because Luke was the best player when the stat came out.

But still, only 0.844 strokes gained.. Look at Bubba Watson, in 2011 he gained 1.1 strokes on the field just from driving alone

Tiger woods from 2003 - 2010 gained 3.2 strokes on the field, 2.08 of that came from long game. The reason is, we seen Tiger make all those putts, or make a life saving chip shot. But the true genius behind tiger woods, was the sergon like precision he took to the golf course, fairway after fairway, and green after green. Look at all those insane shots he hit from what seemed to be impossible locations. The high slice over the water onto the green at Arnie's Tournament. How many strokes did he save on that shot alone.

Look at Bubba Watson,

110th in Scrambling

157th in Putts strokes gained

2nd in greens in regulation

9th in scoring

Tells you were a lot of ground can be made up, if you can hit Green's doesn't matter were you hit the ball off the tee or how crappy your short game is. You can make up a ton of ground.

If Phil spent more time on his long game, maybe he would have won more championships.

From Rory and Jack,

"Guys say you have to have a short game to win tournaments and it is not the case. Not at all," Rory McIlroy said last spring. His comments sparked a controversy, but Jack Nicklaus rose to his defense. "I agree with Rory," Nicklaus said. "I never practiced my short game because I felt like if I can hit 15 greens a round and hit a couple of par-fives in two and if I can make all my putts inside 10 feet, who cares where I chip it?"

Don't get me wrong, Luke is an amazing putter, but he didn't make the world stage until he got that driving accuracy down, if you look from 2010 to 2011, he was the leading in putting strokes gained, but he improved his driving percentage from being ranked 120th to being ranked 57th. Went from 152nd in GIR's to 47th in GIR. It takes a complete game to win, but how can you even gain strokes on the field in putting if your not hitting greens to capitalize on that putting.

• Upvote 2

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Originally Posted by mvmac

?

lol...i know...i guess i was just thinking that he could use a regular length putter for a belly putter...my bad.

Colin P.

Note: This thread is 4140 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!