IGNORED

Right hip at impact is key.

Maverick
Note: This thread is 4140 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've noticed, or believe, that when things go awry on the course with getting this and that in tune with the backswing and downswing..etc..for me..if all else fails, just make sure the contact with the ball is the same with the right hip going through..would you guys agee?

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Maverick

I've noticed, or believe, that when things go awry on the course with getting this and that in tune with the backswing and downswing..etc..for me..if all else fails, just make sure the contact with the ball is the same with the right hip going through..would you guys agee?

What do you mean "make sure contact with the ball is the same with the right hip going through"?

It sounds like a feel that may very well work for you but is unlikely to be real or work for the majority of people.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by iacas

What do you mean "make sure contact with the ball is the same with the right hip going through"?

It sounds like a feel that may very well work for you but is unlikely to be real or work for the majority of people.

hmm..best way for me to describe it would be that on the downswing, the right hip (righties) should meet the ball at the same time your hands do going through impact..best way for me to describe it. (assuming we're all on the same page with weight already forward and hands ahead of the clubhead) I've heard this is what is called as "firing through" with the hips.

Not sure about that, i am sure there are players who have varying degree's of hip turn at impact. Look at Furyk, his hips are rotated more than most at impact. But i think someone like Rocco Mediate has less of a hip turn.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Iacas, i have read a number of your posts where you state that 'feel ain't real'.  Or to that effect.  Yet, many other teachers discount 'intelligence' and want us to 'feel the clubhead' as we swing because  keeping the mind still is conducive to better ball striking.  And even if 'feel ain't real',  does that matter if the consistent result is good ball striking?  Lee Trevino thought the ball was compressed into the earth and that contributed to backspin but now we know differently (i think).  Lee felt the 'feel was real'.  How was Lee's result?  Not bad, IMO.

• Administrator

hmm..best way for me to describe it would be that on the downswing, the right hip (righties) should meet the ball at the same time your hands do going through impact..best way for me to describe it. (assuming we're all on the same page with weight already forward and hands ahead of the clubhead) I've heard this is what is called as "firing through" with the hips.

Okay. It may work for you, but it's probably not what you're actually doing.

Just the first two examples I found.

Originally Posted by joekelly

Iacas, i have read a number of your posts where you state that 'feel ain't real'.  Or to that effect.

Yes. Feel is rarely real.

Originally Posted by joekelly

Yet, many other teachers discount 'intelligence' and want us to 'feel the clubhead' as we swing because  keeping the mind still is conducive to better ball striking.

That's an entirely different discussion.

Originally Posted by joekelly

And even if 'feel ain't real',  does that matter if the consistent result is good ball striking? Lee Trevino thought the ball was compressed into the earth and that contributed to backspin but now we know differently (i think). Lee felt the 'feel was real'. How was Lee's result? Not bad, IMO.

I'm not sure I understand your point. Lee felt something that wasn't real. I've never said he should "feel" the reality. We teach players to "feel" like they're moving their heads down and forward 18 inches during their backswing and it keeps their heads pretty steady. They need to "feel" what isn't "real" to make a better backswing.

"Feel" not being "real" is a reality - you just have to be aware of it, and part of that is realizing that your "feel" likely isn't what's actually happening (but if it works, great) AND that your feel is unlikely to work exactly the same for someone else.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

If i understand you correctly then you are describing what many call firing the right side. Others call it clearing the left side!!!. One thing described in an opposite way.

The action of the hips is VERY important in golf---FACT!! so you could be focusing on worse things. So in that sense yes i agree with your statement to that extent yes. I will include a video of BEN HOGAN doing a drill on tv where he shows how connected the relationship is between the hips and the rest of the swing. I rate this drill 10 out of 10. Try it and give me some feedback please if we are indeed on the same page please?.Also another vid showing his mastery of using his right side amongst everything else he did.

Also firing the right side featuring Hogan.

I am a HUGE Hogan fan, but with that said I think the thought of "clearing hips" or "clearing the left side" for most people is probably bad advice.  However, just like Erik posted above that could potentially be a good feeling.

Stephan Kostelecky

Golf Instructor

Youtube

• Administrator
Originally Posted by sk golf

I am a HUGE Hogan fan, but with that said I think the thought of "clearing hips" or "clearing the left side" for most people is probably bad advice.  However, just like Erik posted above that could potentially be a good feeling.

Agreed. And I think you'll agree with this, SK: Hogan produced a lot of slicers...

Erik, thank you for the graphics..Yes, what I precisely mean though. If you look at both those swings, the right hip is in line with the ball at impact.  I think, as far as feel goes, this is one of the most important aspects to maintain during a round.  For me, when I start having problems, my lower body is either trying to pull/rotate too fast.  When I make a conscious effort to make my right hip pass through at the same time (roughly) as I make impact, it seems to work really well (for me).  The contact with the ball seems perfect. I personally think that "clearing the left side" is very subjective as timing is an issue, just because you clear it what about the rest? If you pass the right hip at impact, technically, your left side should already have "cleared" to be here.

I apologize if this topic has been digested on numerous levels, just what "I" try to keep in mind when I play. YMMV

• Administrator

the right hip is in line with the ball at impact.

I don't quite see them that way. The right hip is still behind the ball. That's what the farthest left green line is. Maybe you mean the right front pants pocket, but that's not really where your hip is.

And there are two ways to get the right hip forward: you can spin it or you can slide it. As you know, too much of one or the other is bad, and bad golfers tend to have more rotation than sliding already.

[CODE][/CODE]I'm guessing you're just using the rift hip thought as a way to get solid contact. It seems everybody has one thought in their mind when all else fails to get the ball solid on a bad day swinging it. For me, if I'm really not hitting the ball well I think "stay down" it may not fix my problem or help me hit it straight. But at least it helps me hit the ball pure on the course when I'm really struggling

With out using your eyes, its impossible to tell minute differences in the golf swing. That's why when you see professionals practicing something on the range, its very exagerated, because exagerating produces a small effect. The reason is your battling years of resistance through repetative mistakes or old swing habits.

The only pro i know who ever came close to having the right hip at the ball at impact is Jim Furky. This is due to his unique swing. Even for him, his right hip is still behind the ball slightly. But he's the closest, and his swing is very much an outlier of a professional golf swing. But he does all the key's well. Weight forward, dead doesn't move much, flat left wrist at impact. Doesn't matter if he's swing looks like an Octopus falling out of a tree, he does what needs to be done right.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 4140 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!