IGNORED

Give me a reason not to sell my UW that came with my Ping set

Valleygolfer
Note: This thread is 4131 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have a barely used UW (50°) wedge and want a 3 iron instead. I am weighing the option of selling it to put money towards the 3 iron. Or I can sell my Adams 3 hybrid. I could sell both, I just don't like hybrids I guess. I have been hitting my 4 iron short before I grab my hybrid. Maybe you can shed some hypothetical scenarios for future needs or own experiences?

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Valleygolfer

I have a barely used UW (50°) wedge and want a 3 iron instead. I am weighing the option of selling it to put money towards the 3 iron. Or I can sell my Adams 3 hybrid. I could sell both, I just don't like hybrids I guess. I have been hitting my 4 iron short before I grab my hybrid.

Maybe you can shed some hypothetical scenarios for future needs or own experiences?

Give us a break, Vg , we know little or nothing about you or your game.

You have somewhere between a 5>20 HDCP, and we are unsure about your bag mix. You have Vokey wedges (how many and loft?), both Hogan Apex and Ping i10 irons, two drivers, and a Ping G20 FW (17*?).

Your list says the Apex set has a 3.iron with it. Do you want an i10 3.iron? If so, your best bet might be to swap the UW for an i10 3.iron (a wedge for a long iron might attract takers, given current trends).

Do you generate enough clubhead speed to hit a 3i, and what would it do for your game?

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by the bolded blue sentence (my bolding) in your quote area.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I have a barely used UW (50°) wedge and want a 3 iron instead. I am weighing the option of selling it to put money towards the 3 iron. Or I can sell my Adams 3 hybrid. I could sell both, I just don't like hybrids I guess. I have been hitting my 4 iron short before I grab my hybrid.

Maybe you can shed some hypothetical scenarios for future needs or own experiences?

The UW has the loft of an old PW. It is designed to go up in the air and stop. If it fits a gap you don't otherwise fill, keep it.

I use my Gap (50 deg) as a full iron shot or PW. The SW and LW are my specialty wedges.

3i, 3 Hybrid - why both? It seems you're doubling up here although I'll assume the 3 Hybrid goes more like a 5 wood.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

The UW has the loft of an old PW. It is designed to go up in the air and stop. If it fits a gap you don't otherwise fill, keep it.

I use my Gap (50 deg) as a full iron shot or PW. The SW and LW are my specialty wedges.

3i, 3 Hybrid - why both? It seems you're doubling up here although I'll assume the 3 Hybrid goes more like a 5 wood.

Agree and you'll tend to use the UW more than the 3 iron/hybrid.

VG, from what you've said, I would recommend keeping the UW, getting rid of the 3 hybrid and getting a GI 3 iron, like a G20.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Originally Posted by WUTiger

Quote:

Give us a break, Vg, we know little or nothing about you or your game.

You have somewhere between a 5>20 HDCP, and we are unsure about your bag mix. You have Vokey wedges (how many and loft?), both Hogan Apex and Ping i10 irons, two drivers, and a Ping G20 FW (17*?).

Your list says the Apex set has a 3.iron with it. Do you want an i10 3.iron? If so, your best bet might be to swap the UW for an i10 3.iron (a wedge for a long iron might attract takers, given current trends).

Do you generate enough clubhead speed to hit a 3i, and what would it do for your game?

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by the bolded blue sentence (my bolding) in your quote area.

I understand my game WUTiger. I was asking for others experience in their bags and why they would keep a UW around. I have a Ping PW (46°) 137/120 yds, FS/CHS, Ping SW (54°) 110 yd CHS and a Vokey (60°) 85 yd FS. I have a old Vokey 56° that I may replace the Ping SW with to have a flat out 100 yard club. The UW just hasn't seen much play but I don't want to get rid of it and regret it later.

My Hogan set is not my gamers. They are a 1/2" longer as per graphite clubs and I am pretty sure bent 1-1 1/2° upright. I inherited them from my father. I play 2.25° flat. The 3 iron is too awkward to just throw it in the bag. I have been bouncing around reshafting the Hogans with the SG300 shafts I have and bending them to my needs but it would cost about 100 bux just for the work. I love my 4 iron and hate my hybrid so to answer the blue, if I have a yardage that is Hybrid length, I will often grab my 4 instead and lay up. I guess I didn't make this clear enough but I want a I10 to I20 three iron and will more than likely sell the hybrid unless I keep it for future swap outs. I am leaning towards selling the Hogans and putting the SG300 shafts in my pings for next year. It is not super easy to find a orange dot 3 iron used.

I have considered the G10 to G20 3 iron but I am not a big fan of the shape, which I think is part of the Adams hybrid issue. I hit my 4 iron very well and last tested, I swing a 7 iron at 95 mph and get an average of 167 yards give or take 3-4 yards depending on season and ball I use.

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

I do have a considerable gap between my PW to SW, 8°. The other Wedge would get it to 6°. I have gotten used to playing without that club and filling that space with half swing PW. Friday I had a 120 yard shot go errant at 10 yards long. I don't know, it seems like everyone is going to a 4 wedge set up but I don't necessarily want to give up my 3 wood either. I guess if I am playing a short track. I could swap out the 3 wood and put the UW in.

After checking ebay, I might have to actually pay someone to take my Adams hybrid...

After checking ebay, I might have to actually pay someone to take my Adams hybrid...

what are the specs on the hybrid

I understand your situation better now. If you go to a larger golf shop, you might find a solo i15 or G15 three iron on the rack somewhere. On occasion, people will decline the three iron from an off-the-shelf set. Several of the GI iron sets come with three irons.

Also, you might try a Mizuno Fli-Hi 3-iron/hybrid club. Sometimes you can find one in the used club bin, most haven't been used all that much. If it's a couple of years old, you might get it for $50 or so.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I understand your situation better now. If you go to a larger golf shop, you might find a solo i15 or G15 three iron on the rack somewhere. On occasion, people will decline the three iron from an off-the-shelf set. Several of the GI iron sets come with three irons.   Also, you might try a Mizuno Fli-Hi 3-iron/hybrid club. Sometimes you can find one in the used club bin, most haven't been used all that much. If it's a couple of years old, you might get it for $50 or so.

I have checked pro shops here and there but it is a two hour trip to boston for any others. I will see if I can get down and check it out. I don't think anyone keeps orange dots on the rack.

i feel like your post is asking two different things.  if you now have a 3 hybrid and a UW, why would you need to ditch the UW if you're planning to replace the 3h with a 3i?  the UW is completely separate since you are just swapping out the 3 club but not actually adding or reducing total clubs to your bag...

as to the UW idea, i have i20s and don't use my UW much either.  i only have a PW and 56 Vokey though, but i use the Vokey for just about everything.  why don't you leave it out of the bag for a few rounds and see how you feel about that decision before you go off and sell it?

Originally Posted by tuffluck

i feel like your post is asking two different things.  if you now have a 3 hybrid and a UW, why would you need to ditch the UW if you're planning to replace the 3h with a 3i?  the UW is completely separate since you are just swapping out the 3 club but not actually adding or reducing total clubs to your bag...

as to the UW idea, i have i20s and don't use my UW much either.  i only have a PW and 56 Vokey though, but i use the Vokey for just about everything.  why don't you leave it out of the bag for a few rounds and see how you feel about that decision before you go off and sell it?

I don't normally keep it in the bag. Since the season is over, I threw it (the UW) into the extra slot. I carry 14 without the UW. My 3 hybrid to 3 iron change is irrelevant except that selling it and the UW would make me possibly come out even. I am on the fence about the UW because if there are other GCs that may warrant an extra wedge and no 3 wood. Pretty much it all boils down to the fact that I seldom use the UW. I try to work it in but I have gotten accustomed to my current wedge set up that I am leaning towards selling it.

I never really understood the need for umpteen wedges in a bag. If I am between my max SW and PW yardages, I just choke up on my PW and hit a 2/3 shot - very easy. For me, pretty much every type of shot from 125yd and in can be covered with 2 wedges. It's called creativity.

dak4n6

I never really understood the need for umpteen wedges in a bag. If I am between my max SW and PW yardages, I just choke up on my PW and hit a 2/3 shot - very easy. For me, pretty much every type of shot from 125yd and in can be covered with 2 wedges. It's called creativity.

I agree but I really do not count my PW as a wedge but more like another iron. I also need my SW to cover the 110 to 90 yard gap and use the LW for almost everything under 90. I have considered a 64° wedge but I really am comfy with my current wedge setup.

I carry a 48* PW and 52* primarily because of the bounce difference despite being clubs of similar distance. I use them interchangeably as lie conditions change from max distance all the way to the green.

Dave :-)

Originally Posted by dak4n6

i agree, i have a UW and a 56.  although the other day i had an excellent flop shot from the rough that rolled about a mile past the hole even though it landed on the fringe.  that was the first time i ever said, "damn, if only i had a 62 degree wedge."  more loft, quicker stop after impact.  not any amount of creativity could have helped me hit a better shot than what i did in that situation, it had to come from a different club that i didn't have.

Note: This thread is 4131 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!