IGNORED

Which golf balls do you use?

Note: This thread is 3448 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

ive been playing velocitys, prov1's or v1x's for the past few years. this year I purchased an entire new set of Nike clubs and have decided to give the new RZN Platinum and RZN Black balls a try. we shall see how this experiment goes over the next couple months!

Can't remember if I posted in the thread already lol... Anyway.. Dt Solos and putting proV1's into play this year.. Also like the e6. How would the Srixon Z stars compare to the e6 and dt solos? They're on sale here, was thinking of trying them out.

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

Can't remember if I posted in the thread already lol... Anyway.. Dt Solos and putting proV1's into play this year.. Also like the e6. How would the Srixon Z stars compare to the e6 and dt solos? They're on sale here, was thinking of trying them out.

They are better. Your level ball

They are better. Your level ball

My level? I asked about a comparison not for an internet fitting by someone with a similar handicap.

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

Last year I went through a lot of gyrations with golf balls -- my driver swing speed climbed from low 90 to low 100's last season and as a result I struggled with consistency off the tee... changing balls, changing drivers, that kind of thing. All good, but I learned a lot about how ball choice really affects my teebox consistency.

ProV1 - I had a gift box from my Dad, and flat out stopped playing with them. Distance was fine, hit some of the spinniest approach shots ever in my life, but I could not keep them on the fairway from the teebox. No fun losing expensive balls...and hitting OB.

DT SoLo, Titleist NXT Tour, others - Didn't like them. Too soft, maybe? They felt flat or dead somehow.

Callaways - Hex.  I now avoid anything Hex. They mar quickly and I don't like looking at beat up balls. I think they play fine but that cover and the hex things are just not my cup of tea at all.

Callaway Distance Balls - I used to play Warbirds and Diablos, etc. but now I can't stand the "hard rock" feel on the greens and short chips. Ditto for any other distance ball -- I don't need them anymore.

Wilson, Taylormade, Srixon, Nike. ... Brief experiments with these did not last. I do not often find these balls in the weeds, either, which is how I end up with most of my "trial" balls. So if not many people play them... maybe I don't need to either. I am intrigued by the Srixon ZstarXV though. Most balls I find in the weeds are Callaway, Bridgestone, and Titleist, maybe Rock-Flites.

Bridgestone B330, B330s. Similar to the ProV1, I had less control off the tee. They felt fine, I got OK distance, they seemed durable. Just the control problem off the tee was too problematic.

When all was said and done, the Bridgestone E6 became my go-to ball. It has a surlyn cover but I can still hop and stop on greens and it doesn't putt like a rock. This ball behaves off the tee-box! Some of my sliced drives stay in-bounds, and when I do connect it is quite long and relatively unaffected by wind. Woods and hybrids absolutely rocket off the fairway. Maybe the E6 is not quite as turbo-charged as many pure distance balls, but I still hit many of my longest ever drives with the E6. Distance just isn't as important as hitting the fairway for me, and I can trust this ball. One NEGATIVE about the E6 is that it is sometimes resistant to working, if you are trying to shape your mid irons. It *is* workable, but just a bit less than premium balls.

This year I plan to experiment with ProV1X and Srixon Zstar XV, and Lethals are on my list. I want to work the ball more and am getting better (slightly) with the driver. I still might just be too optimistic that I can handle the premium balls on the teebox, but teebox behavior is the only thing holding me back. I may be sticking with the E6 a while longer, maybe a long while longer!

bucket-

• Upvote 1

I got a laugh out of that one. I can understand saturday taking it as some sort of semi-insult. Funny how one little letter can change everything. ;-)

Sorry that was suppose to say tour

I was playing the e6, then got a couple dozen B330RX and B330RXS to try. With a SS in the mid 90's, I was stretching it a bit on their online fitting tool to get them. Anyway, the RX stays in the fairway better, but the RXS can be worked more and is better around the green......only bad thing about them is their price.

Still Srixon Trispeed at 2 dozen for $45. Just love that ball. Also enjoy the Taylormade Lethals. I think ProV's are overrated. Maybe if they sold spin, touch and feel for my swing at the store I would care how much a ball spins or how soft it is around the green but until then not worth the price.

On a side note and I hate to just dog any brand but all Nike balls suck to me lately. 20xi and One RZN are like hitting rocks and make the worst sound off my club head. One of my group said to me after I hit a drive that I wasn't getting it flush. Then after 2 more drives I told him it's the ball that sounds like that cause I am getting my usual distance and shape. I wouldn't play with them if they were free.

James

Still Srixon Trispeed at 2 dozen for $45. Just love that ball. Also enjoy the Taylormade Lethals. I think ProV's are overrated. Maybe if they sold spin, touch and feel for my swing at the store I would care how much a ball spins or how soft it is around the green but until then not worth the price.

On a side note and I hate to just dog any brand but all Nike balls suck to me lately. 20xi and One RZN are like hitting rocks and make the worst sound off my club head. One of my group said to me after I hit a drive that I wasn't getting it flush. Then after 2 more drives I told him it's the ball that sounds like that cause I am getting my usual distance and shape. I wouldn't play with them if they were free.

the 20xi and the one rzn are horrendous... this years tour level balls are a HUGE improvement over the 20xi and the one rzn... look at the rzn platinum (prov1 equivalent) or the rzn black (prov1x equivalent) the black feels a bit harder but the platinum is near perfection in a ball... spins plenty around the greens and flies well even into a headwind. only drawback is the price at 45$/dozen but a great ball in my opinion

I did a lot of research when I was switching golf balls. I was using an e6, I then wanted more spin but not overbearing spin so I went with an e5, I tried out Diablo HX Tours but didn't like the feel and stuck with e5. After a few months getting my handicap down further I decided I wanted something with more spin than the e5 but less than the ProV1/B330 and ended up choosing the Callaway Hex Chromes. I gained yardage after developing my swing a bit more and I get all the necessary spin I need/want without it going crazy like the ProV1. I would highly recommend it if you're looking for something to try out.

2013 Nike VR_S Covert Performance Driver

2013 Nike VR_S Covert Perfomance 15° 3W

18° Burner 1.0 Superlaunch Rescue Hybrid

:mizuno: 4-PW MP-69 Irons

50°, 54° & 58° ATV wedges

Classic Collection #1 Black Putter

:bridgestone: Tour B330 Balls

2013 Tour v3 Laser Rangefinder w/ Jolt Technology

You don't know what pressure is until you play for five bucks with only two bucks in your pocket. -Lee Trevino

the 20xi and the one rzn are horrendous... this years tour level balls are a HUGE improvement over the 20xi and the one rzn... look at the rzn platinum (prov1 equivalent) or the rzn black (prov1x equivalent) the black feels a bit harder but the platinum is near perfection in a ball... spins plenty around the greens and flies well even into a headwind. only drawback is the price at 45$/dozen but a great ball in my opinion

Got a box of the platinum. Really looking foward to trying them

• 2 weeks later...

Srixon Z Star XV  (Yellow), the past three years.

For some unknown (to me) optical reason, I just see this ball better in flight - and when I try to find the ball somewhere off the fairway or under leaves in the fairway (we now have late autumn in South Africa; huge ball-losing season right here). The yellow just catches my eye quicker.

The XV is soft, durable, not too spinny - and not too cheap either unfortunately. But I will struggle to go back to a white ball or any other ball, for that matter.

:titleist:  913D2 10.5*  913F 15* 18*  913H  21*  24*  27*    :tmade: Burner Superfast 7i  8i  9i   :vokey: Vokey SM4  48*  52*  56*  60*    :cameron:  Newport 2 Notchback (Black)      :srixon:  Z Star XV (Yellow)    :ecco:  Biom Hybrid

I really like the Nike PD Soft or Callaway Hex Diablo. Of course, I like the Bridgestone e6 and Pro V1, but it's out of my price range. I really like the feel around the greens with the PD Soft. The Hex Diablo is better off the tee box, but I prefer the PD Soft around the greens. Drive for show, putt for doe!

Dylan

Twitter: @d_brock504

I use ProV1x......but I did play the Callaway Super Soft and loved it. Might try it again.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3448 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!